1911Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Can anyone that owns a 9 mm Remington take a pic of extractor removed from pistol? (at least with Wilson extractors, it is easy to spot the difference between .45 and 9/.38S VERY quickly...)
Exactly what I was thinking. It blows my mind to read all the 1911 owners who send back their gun due to extractor problems. Most of these can be adjusted and problem solved in minutes. No self respecting 1911 owner should be in the dark about adjusting extractor tension. This applies to all 1911's with internal extractors. For those who don't want to maintain a 1911 well my advice is better get one with an external claw type extractor. It is what it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Makes one wonder if Remington even bothered to use a 9/.38Super extractor, or, if they just hope to bend a .45 extractor in a little more to try to 'make it work'...and then ship them without thorough testing to see if the extractor would tend to 'spring back' after a week or two of sitting idle. In any case, were I a Remington owner, I think I'd order a new Wilson extractor as opposed to waiting 5 or more months for Remington to replace a $25 part....
Yes, I could have most likely bought a new part and replaced it with minimal hassle. That's not the point. Boogie and I bought brand new guns. There is an expectation that remington would sell us guns that work. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should have to spend more money and time to make the gun work when it should have worked from the factory. And it shouldn't take remington 5 months to replace an extractor. That is not what we expected when we sent the guns in for service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
DZA remington cuts checks every 2 weeks on Wednesdays.
Lwolken...I own several Ln 1911's in .45...my first and only 9mm, when I looked at the extractor it had zero tool marks or bend that I could see. I didnt really want to void the warranty and had All confidence that a quick trip to the factory would rectify the problem. When I got it back and pulled the extractor same thing zero tool marks or signs of "tuning". I had it tined and it ran great...right up to the point where it froze up solid.
Quoting Their rep..."I dont hear to many problems with the .45 but the 9mm, seems like we really need to look at these things."
I know ive talked at least 4 folks out buying a remington and will tell anyone who will listen.
Sig Sauer will be getting my miney when it comes in.
Drive up there last week and had my 1992 west german p220 rebuilt and night sights put on for $140. Maybe I should have remington just make the check payable to Sig...

"Today was a good day...didn't even have to use my AK"....Ice Cube

·
Registered
155 Posts
Reading this thread just confirms how screwed up Remington is today. I've been waiting 20 months for my replacement R51 and my most recent contact with customer nonservice resulted in them hanging up on me when I said I deserved an answer other than "R&D is working on it" to my question of when the gen 2 pistol will begin shipping.

What a disappointment to see another company, which was a great American company, go completely upside down when purchased by a group of foreign investors.

I for one will never even consider purchasing another Remington firearm from the modern Remington.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Reading this thread just confirms how screwed up Remington is today. I've been waiting 20 months for my replacement R51 and my most recent contact with customer nonservice resulted in them hanging up on me when I said I deserved an answer other than "R&D is working on it" to my question of when the gen 2 pistol will begin shipping.

What a disappointment to see another company, which was a great American company, go completely upside down when purchased by a group of foreign investors.

I for one will never even consider purchasing another Remington firearm from the modern Remington.
I agree 100%!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Let me spread the good news....the Dan Wesson Pointman 9mm is flawless from the factory. 2.000 rds and not ONE bobble...perfect extraction.

Did I hallucinate that RIA makes the Remington 1911's?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well as a testament to how screwed up the customer service is, I have been told several times that they cut checks on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month. Well found out today my check was cut and mailed yesterday. Now lets see if/when it gets to me. Good news its for the full amount including the tax.
The hard part is deciding which Sig 1911..., tacops or the scorpion? Thinking about sticking with .45 and not getting another 9mm..ever. This entire experience has spoiled me on both 9mm 1911's and Remington, to bad as the Remington nylon 66 was the first gun I ever fired ( Istill have it) . Might have some barely used 1911 9mm mags, 8 total, for sale soon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just called and they said mine was mailed this past Wednesday too. I was also told 1st and 3rd Wednesdays lol. Their incompetence is would be comical if I didn't have to actually deal with them. I'm glad to hear that the refund will be the full amount though. That is the only good thing about this entire experience.

And at least this thread has done some good and spread the word about how terrible remington is. Hopefully saving others from what boogie and I have had to go through.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Let me spread the good news....the Dan Wesson Pointman 9mm is flawless from the factory. 2.000 rds and not ONE bobble...perfect extraction.

Did I hallucinate that RIA makes the Remington 1911's?
Yes, lets not insult RIA. No seriously they are not made by RIA.

I hear you on the Dan Wesson. Got my eye on a heritage if my LGS will ever get me one.

Remington is not what it use to be. My first .22 was a fieldmaster and it still runs after tens of thousands of rounds.

All of this is why I have become what people call a "brand snob". After owning cheaper brands (Taurus, Ruger, and Remington 1911s), the only ones I still have are my Springfields and Kimbers. As one of the Smiths on here said, once you shoot a quality 1911, you just don't want to mess with the lower end stuff. In reality, spending a $1000 to get a pistol that doesn't need anything is cheaper than buying a cheaper pistol and swapping parts or messing with issues.

Here is a rundown in order of ownership:

Colt Goldcup - perfect, only sold because I was broke and in college.

Ruger - lower lug not seated, barrel not finish reamed, not very accurate. Sold it to get the RO.

Remington R1 - Massive barrel spring, sloppy fit, frame casting issues, not accurate at all. Sold it to buy a 2nd R1.

SA 9mm RO - No issues at all and a tack driver for a box stock pistol

Kimber Custom II - perfect fit, as accurate at the GC in my hands. People argue the finish sucks, but mine is only in leather, no Kydex.

Remington R1 - sold the 1st and bought this one, much better, but still had barrel spring and not that accurate. Ok fit, but the bluing was the best on any production gun I have seen. Just beautiful.

SA 45 RO - No issues. Very tight and accurate.

SA 45 Target - No issues and more accurate than the RO.

Kimber Custom II Two Tone - No issues, perfect fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well the 9mm r1 saga is OVER, finally! On Monday I received my check for the full amout, including the tax along with my $75 rebate check. Today I ordered my Sig Sauer Tacops. 45. All set with ever buying another remington handgun.
I can't day enough about the awesome stand up customer service folks at Sig! DZA keep up the good fight I hope you get your checks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ITS OVER!!!! Check finally showed up. 5 Months later, countless phone calls/emails, even more cursing, and its finally over! Glad it worked out for you as well Boogie. Hope you enjoy the Sig! Post pics when it shows up.

I went a slightly different route...

TL;DR
Remington sucks at everything. Avoid at all costs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well that is a little different. Dza did you get the refund check?
I did...spent it on mags for the sig.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I got the refund check too. It went towards the AK, which was kinda pricey. It's a blast to shoot though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently purchased a 9mm R1 Enhanced. When I pulled it out of the box at my dealer I noticed that the rear sight adjustment screw was about two threads from falling out. As with all guns I have bought, the first thing I did when I got it home was to tear it apart. I first checked the extractor tension and there was none. When I pulled the extractor it was a .45 extractor in my 9mm gun. I tossed that aside and ordered a Wilson replacement. I used the next few days, while waiting for the new extractor to arrive, to fine tune the gun. I reduced the grip safety travel, dehorned the thumb safety and reshaped it to my liking.
The rest of the gun checked out quite well. The frame fit is excellent, and the barrel/ bushing is nice and tight. The trigger pull is nice and crisp. The recoil spring is flat wire 12 pound.

Once I got the new extractor tuned and fitted I headed to the range and proceeded to put 250 rounds of factory and hand loads with 100% function and reliability. I was extremely pleased with the results. Accuracy was excellent. The farthest I was shooting was steel at 65 yds and it was dead on. I was using 2 magazines that came with the gun and 3 cobra mags.

Despite the extractor screw up on Remington's part, this is shaping up to be an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So basically Remington still hasn't figured out that you can't put a .45 extractor in a 9mm pistol.

Sucks that you had to replace it yourself but since the alternative is dealing with remington... you made the right choice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what it's worth. I recently got a "deal" on a R1 enhanced 9mm and on the first trip to the range I found that it put all the brass it ejected in my face and jammed frequently. It had ZERO extractor pressure. After a lot of time bending, file work and more bending I now have an acceptable amount of pressure.
It seems crazy to me that Remington sends these guns out without checking to see that they will function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a follow up 4 years in with the 9mm R1 Enhanced. After the rough start I’m pleased to report that it has been a great pistol. In all fairness, if I had been someone that lacked the ability or desire to correct and enhance the gun on my own it would have been a different story.

I’ve used multiple makes of magazines and several different brands of ball ammo. I primarily shoot my own hand loads, but in IDPA I exclusively shoot Wolf! Thats right, it eats steel cased Wolf like a champ. In the thousands of rounds it has consumed I can honestly report that it has had only one failure to feed. That’s it, just one.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts