1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shoot the Springfield 9mm in competition?Do they preform well out of the box? What is a fair price for one?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I use a loaded 9mm for IDPA. After a trigger job by EGW it shoots great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw a used on in a local shot for $500. I've been thinking of getting one for a long time. Still thinking about it. Thing I'm concerned about is that the 1911 wasn't designed for 9mm. I'm interested to in what people have to say about this combination.
-Charley

·
Registered
21,918 Posts
SA was not shipping 9mm's when I got the itch. Then a 1991A1 Colt turned up. Better sights, trigger job, and a mag well funnel make it easier to shoot but it functioned well from the start. A very pleasant gun to shoot and very effective in ESP. Shooting Star 10-shot .38 Super magazines work in mine; otherwise all 1911 9mm mags are 9-round. I declare at 9 round capacity and just use a SS to load 9+1 without having to handle a Barney Bullet mag or top up. I very seldom feel short on ammo that way. You could use all SS .38 10 shot to run at 10+1 but that last round is hard to load and it takes a real push to seat a mag with 10 under the closed slide... as in a Tac Load.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I have been shooting one for several months and really like it. I use the CMC 10 rd 38 Super mags. They are a little hard to seat during a tactical reload. Cost me 5 sec. in last Sunday's IDPA match. You just have to insert them a little harder. I paid $610 for mine. I think dealer cost is $589 + freight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Loaded A1 with target sights. Other then sending it back cause of some scratches on the side of the side. It was great out of the box. I am also having the costum shop remove the I.L.S. system...I didn't want to take any chances in a match wiht that thing having a mishap..They are replasing it with a S&A mainspring housing and mag well. Also I was having flash back in the primmer pocket that was causing the primmer to melt over after it fired. resulting in melted metal plugging the firing pin whole. This only happens with Win.& Remington primmers. The factory remady is a firing pin bushing. I am also going to Federal primmers. I am not sure what the bushing is cause the gun is still in the custom shop. I was shotting bowling pin tops at 30 feet free style right out of the box. Not to bad.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm up to about 800 rounds through my stainless "Loaded" 9mm. I REALLY like this piece. Cost me $624 +tax.
My only complaint is the sharp edges on the slide serations. I'm working on those with a stone.

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

·
Registered
74 Posts
I picked up a 9mm loaded today at a local match and shot it in that match. The tight chamber in combination with some reloaded military brass caused problems(slide refused to go to battery), once I weeded out those rounds the gun ran like a champ the rest of the day. I found my ESP gun!!!
Happy camper. I traded a G19 for it.

------------------
-Charley.
When the need is great enough, limitations are meaningless

·
Registered
441 Posts
charleym3,
I was discussing the problem of the tight chambers in these firearms with sparky today. What I did was use a Lee crimp die as a final stage in reloading. It has a tungsten carbide ring at the base and it "reconditions" the brass so that it fits even a SA chamber reliably.

Now I'm up to 890 rounds without a problem.

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

[This message has been edited by Neil Casper (edited 11-04-2001).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by Neil Casper:
charleym3,
I was discussing the problem of the tight chambers in these firearms with sparky today. What I did was use a Lee crimp die as a final stage in reloading. It has a tungsten carbide ring at the base and it "reconditions" the brass so that it fits even a SA chamber reliably.

Now I'm up to 890 rounds without a problem.

ThanX Neil.
There's a local gun show on the 17/18. I'll see if I can come up with one. Already need magazines. Gonna be an expensive show.

------------------
-Charley.
When the need is great enough, limitations are meaningless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts