1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a widow friend who wants recommendations for a good home defense round for her Glock. She lives alone in a standard wood frame and sheetrock dwelling. She has several acres and her nearest neighbor is 100 yards away.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd go with either federal hydrashok 147 gr or speer gold dots 9mm +p 124 gr. I have good experience with them. I load one mag with one and the other with the other one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Federal 124 gr +P Expanding Point FMJ. 100% reliable expansion. At www.ammoman.com. Good penetration too. A little on the pricey side , but in my opinion sleeping well is worth it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Perhaps you could suggest that she get several samples of the ammo types mentioned here - and/or other name-brand stuff - and test how her gun shoots it.

The ammo I keep in my 9 mm for home defense may or may not be the absolute best available, but it hits at POA, and I'd rather put a good round in the 10-ring than a great round outside it.

I also suspect that she will feel better about things if she knows her ammo will hit where she is aiming.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think any of the 115 +P hollow points from a top manufacturer are the best place to start. Cor-Bon and Triton both make +P that is close to the +P+ ammo. If +P is to much for your neighbor for some reason then stick with 115 gr hollow points or maybe 124 grain hollow points.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
843 Posts
If your friend is not an avid shooter, she may shoot better with standard pressure rounds. Federal Nyclad 124gr hp might be a good choice if you can locate some.-TR

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Patrickl,

She's got a neighbor 100 yards away?

Don't ya think Glasers would be the obvious choice?

I could be wrong,but I don't figure a couple of layers of sheetrock and a layer of external siding would slow a 9mm round down much.

------------------
PISS A LIBERAL OFF

BUY A HANDGUN....

·
Registered
137 Posts
My carry gun ( Taurus Millenium PT111 ) likes Winchester personal defense silvertips. They feed and eject flawlessly, and are as accurate as anything I have shot.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
How about selling the Glock and investing in a Winchester LadyDefender 20 Gauge shotgun?

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
234 Posts
I like Federal Hi-Shocks in a 124gr +p+ variety. Works great in my compact USP and P99. My P239 prefers Gold Dots for accuracy, but will feed most anything.

Look for a round that will reliably feed in your gun (my Kimber Pro Carry won't feed 185gr Gold Dots) and shoot accurately (my usp-c shoots "shotgun pattern" groups with 124 gr +p Gold Dots).

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Glaser's??? Nah...

While a Frangible type could be "nieghbor friendly" why worry, just don't miss
My neighbor's are less than 100 FEET, and we have normal walls around here too, but that's still a few walls, and some fencing to get through, if the worse case scenario occurred.

Personally, I don't have ANY experience with the Federal EPFMJ, but I have a feeling that it's probably one of the best choices available for a consistent expander, and reliable feeder.

In a Glock, feeding should never be an issue, but ya just never know...

I use the Federal 9BPLE's (115gr +P+) for my 9mm defense rounds, and the P9HS3G HydraShok 124 +P+'s are also worthwile, but for someone that's recoil sensitive, they might be harsh.

I don't have any question that the 9BP (115 gr HydraShok) will get things done, but when it all comes down to it, I'd rather know I have something that is "tested" and the 9BPLE is "tested".

Moving away from Federal & the HydraShok's, I would highly recommend any Gold Dot +P in any caliber... They are probably superior to the Federal's in terms of consistency in expansion, and penetrate well...

If Frangible's are the way to go, look at Triton, they have some excellent products. The Glaser's, Corbon Bee-Safe's, and MagSafe's are nice, but personally, I would go with Triton.

Good Luck...

Did I mention a Shotgun, with Surefire foreend is the Better Tool for the job

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pro Load 124 grain Gold Dots, I have a few hundred of these through my Glock 17. After talking with a reliable source about this round, It will be the only round in my 9mms.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Practice is the key--unless you can hit what you wish to hit--under stress, the kind of ammo is the least of the problems.

I would suggest, if this were one of my kids, and the firearm described is to be used: Practice with NATO ball, either Winchester or Federal. If memory serves, this is 124 gr. [about 1250fps from a Glock 17] POI is very close to 124gr +P self defense ammo, and the noise and recoil signature should be similar. A headset, reactive should be kept with the handgun.

If a frangible ammo would be better--at least 100 rounds should be put thru the gun. POI at close range [five to seven yards] will change very little.

Last, the lady should have a plan, complete with cell phone in safe room, locked sleeping room, outside of house properly set up, etc, etc, etc.

This subject is much more complicated than just ammo!!!!! GLV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts