1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Les Baer make a 9mm 1911? If not, who makes a similar quality 9mm single stack to his PII?

Thanks,
Sid

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I picked up a PII 9mm 6 or 8 months ago, and it was awful out of the box.

The slide almost never locked back, it had many FTFs, stovepipes, etc.

My local gunsmith ironed out the wrinkles, and it is a pretty nice 1911, but frankly not worth the $2,000 or so that I paid for it.

I bought a PI 40 a few years ago, and it was outstanding out of the box, as have my LB 45s been.

Nonetheless, I would still like to have a LB Mono and/or PII 6" in 9mm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it the slide was too tight for break in? Or, was it something else?

If I shot hot 9mm loads for a 1,000 rounds, would it smooth out and run with normal ammo?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I take it the slide was too tight for break in? Or, was it something else?

If I shot hot 9mm loads for a 1,000 rounds, would it smooth out and run with normal ammo?
I think that the slide was too tight.

9mm ammo just doesn't have the punch that 45 and 40 do, and it takes some extra tuning to make everything reliable.

It's still not 100%, but I will probably just need to keep running ammo through it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like my STI Trojan 9 mm. I have had no problems at all with it. I really like my 45's but with the price of ammunition the 9 mm really hits the spot.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Baer will make any of the pistols available in .38 Super in 9x19 for a fee. I ordered a 9x19 Monolith about 18 months ago. The pistol took about four months to be delivered, and it was worth the wait. I am now happy with mine, but it did have an extended break-in period during which it was not reliable. I think it took over 2,000 rounds to get everything sorted out. My price tag for the pistol was right at $2,000.

As far as other single-stack makers, STI offers the Trojan, RangeMaster, and TargetMaster in 9x19. I can recommend the Trojan and the TargetMaster as I have owned samples of each. I have also owned a Kimber Stainless Target II in 9x19 that is a very good shooter. Wilson makes the CQB in 9x19, and I believe the rest of their line is available in 9x19. Colt also offered 9x19 1911s, but they are hard to find. If you want a Colt, the best thing is to buy the currently offered .38 Super and fit a new 9x19 barrel and extractor. I did basically the same thing with an enhanced 9x23 Colt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a hard chrome PII 9mm that I ordered when CCI Blazer ammo was 3.97 at Wal-Mart. It is extremely accurate and reliable. A couple of the extra magazines I ordered from Baer don't always lock back the slide. The problem seems dependent on the ammo I use.

I agree with others that the reduced power of the 9mm compared to the 45 seems to make everything more critical in getting reliable function.

Even with this, I still shoot my TRS more than anything.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a hard chrome PII 9mm that I ordered when CCI Blazer ammo was 3.97 at Wal-Mart. It is extremely accurate and reliable. A couple of the extra magazines I ordered from Baer don't always lock back the slide. The problem seems dependent on the ammo I use.

I agree with others that the reduced power of the 9mm compared to the 45 seems to make everything more critical in getting reliable function.

Even with this, I still shoot my TRS more than anything.
$3.97??:biglaugh: That must have been sooo long ago that your Baer was only $500, new!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts