1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a stainless steel series 70 Government Model in 9mm. The pistol was moderately customized with installation of S&W adjustable revolver sights, reliability and trigger work, and a recontouring of the trigger guard to a hooked configuration (gun was customized in the late seventies or early eighties). The work is flawless and the gun shoots very well. The problem lies with the magazines. The magazine that came with the gun and two blued Colt 9mm magazines fit perfectly. All aftermarket magazines we have tried, even Pachmayers are extremely sticky going into the gun and have to be pulled from the well. I also tried some .45 magazines, and they also do not fit properly. I have examined the inside surfaces and can find no protrusions (grip screws, etc) that could explain this problem. I was always under the impression that all GM frames were the same between the different calibers, just with different ejectors, slides, mags, etc. Is this incorrect? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this problem is? Factory Colt 9mm mags are difficult to find and rather expensive. Besides, there is no reason good quality aftermarkets shouldn't fit. I realize the problems inherent with attempting to diagnose a problem in this manner, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought Colt didn't start making stainless pistols til the 80 series. Are you sure it's not nickel plated? Have you checked the magazine release? Does it protrude into the frame at all when depressed? Try coloring a stainless magazine with magic marker and placing it in the frame. When you pull it out, see if any of it is rubbed off. If it is, check inside the frame at the point that corresponds to the marks on the magazine and see if there is anything there. I'm just pulling this out of my a$$, so if it doesn't work, it was just an idea.

Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pistol is definitely stainless and definitely a series 70. I checked the mag release and that isn't the problem. In looking at the magazines that I tried they are scratched along main body on both sides-as if the mags are just a touch too wide.

I don't know who did the custom work-my dad got the gun used at Edelman's Sporting Goods in NE Philadelphia (they're closed now I understand). My dad said that the salesman told him that there was no real call for a custom GM in 9mm-just no demand at that time.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Check the bows on the trigger and the center leaf on the flat spring to see if it is sticking into the mag well. Then remove the mag release and see if that helps. If you remove one part at a time you'll eventually find the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You might wany to read what gunwriter Dean Speir has to say about Edelman's on his website The Gun Zone. Their salesmen launched his career.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is it possible that the grip screws or the
grip screw bushings are protruding into
the magazine well..

Just a thought..

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it is just a little snug you can try to put the mag in a vise with a piece of wood or plate that is as wide as the side of the mag on each jaw face and give it just a slight squeeze. All you need is a couple thousandths.Sounds bad but it's not. Just don't get carried away.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sheesh...better you just send that ole' thing to me...I'll loosen it up some

LOL...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your replies.

I thought of the vice trick shortly after making my second post and it worked great. A slight squeeze and the mags flew out when the catch was pushed. Checked all for feed and function and they were 100%. Still seems odd that this was necessary.

As a side note I checked the Gun Zone site regarding Edelman's-could not find the information. My dad merely purchased the gun from them-they didn't do the actual work. They were great stores (lots of neat stuff at reasonable prices).

Again, thank you all for your suggestions-they were most appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Edelmans went out of buisness years ago. His son who took over the buisness before it went under is the owner of Kimber.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your biggest problem is that Colt never made an stainless 70 series, your pistol must be nickel or has been hard chromed to look like stainless. Since you've looked into the mag well and see no protrusions the problem is probably that the magazine well in the frame is undersize. Since the pistol has been worked on it could have been crushed by the smith working on it which would make the well tight side to side. Put some magic marker on a mag and stick it in the frame and see where the rub marks are. In any event you'll have to see where it rubs and file out the inside of the frame until the mags don't rub anymore.

JJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JJ-

Far from being my "first problem", the gun's finish was never a problem at all. I merely mentioned it as a description.

I called Colt today and found out that indeed they never produced a Series 70 gun in stainless. The person I spoke with said that the mistake is common and they get many inquiries about it. I would have bet a nickel (no pun intended) that the finish was stainless-but if I had, I'd be out 5 cents! To those I mislead I hang my head in shame.

The person I spoke with at Colt suggested that the gun was almost certainly nickel. I will be visiting the Colt factory in August and plan to take the gun along to show them.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hope you get your mag problem figured out. Are you taking your pistol to Colt for trouble shooting or to show them an example of a pistol they never produced?

JJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JJ-

I don't want to belabor this post as I'm sure people are tired of seeing it at the top of the list, and the problem was corrected about two weeks ago (a suggestion from 3gunner if I remember correctly).

As far as the finish/materials that make up the gun go, I concede that it is NOT stainless steel. I thought I made that clear in my last post. My trip to Colt is work related and has nothing to do with "showing them a gun that they never made". Since I am goint to Colt anyway I'm taking the gun to see if they can determine whether the finish is the original nickel of if it is an aftermarket finish. The way the flats are mirror polished, the top of the slide is matte (sort of bead blasted looking) , and the internals show absolutely no evidence of finish wear, makes me curious as to whether it came like that or was spruced up. The trigger guard was re-shaped into a hook pattern but the finish in this area exactly matches the rest of the gun. It isn't really that important since the finish is excellent and the gun is accurate and reliable-I'm just curious.

JJ-for once and for all I again state that I now know that this gun is not made of stainless steel.

To those who have endured this posting, and the endurance of this whole thread, I apologize for my rant. I don't mind being corrected when I'm wrong (saves me from looking foolish later) but don't care for it when it's done in a sarcastic or demeaning way.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts