1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting bad nosedives on all but the last round of a 9 round Metal form Magazine in my 9mm 1911, (barsto barrel, STI upper, Lone star Lower)

Everything looks fine, meaning, all the bullets are not nose diving until the slide is released, then they nose dive into the barrel or into the frame feed ramp. However, the last round in the magazine, always feeds no problem.

I've read a few topics after doing a search and have already tried the Wolf increased mag spring with no luck. The mags are metal form and from reading the post, seem to be one of the better 9mm mags.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

thanks in advanced for any help.

Rockclimbg

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
use a lighter recoil spring (10 lbs) and try the Metalform "front ramp" 9mm mags
they are more $$ but work very well.

Are you using an integral feedramp barrel?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
try new mag springs..try a lighter recoil spring..

the front ramp metalform mags are great..they help keep the round in place and not release too soon from the feedlips of the mag..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Metal Form

The barrel is not ramped, it's just a plain barsto barrel with a small area relieved for helping feeding but the barrels feed ramp is nearly vertical, I can't imagine it doing much good.

I'm not sure I understand what metal form mags you guys are talking about? I'm using metal form now, I just bought them about 1 month ago, is there something new out or did I buy the wrong thing? Also, has anyone tried wilson .38 super mags? If so, how do they work?

Thanks in advance

Rockclimbg

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Are you sure you have a 9mm feedramp frame? I thought Lone Star only made a .45 feedramp frame..

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Rockclimbg said:
I've read a few topics after doing a search and have already tried the Wolf increased mag spring with no luck.
OK. Have to ask:
  1. Does the gun feed with any magazine?
  2. Has the gun ever run right for you at all?
  3. What magazine were you using then? (if #2 was a "yes")
  4. If #2 was a "no" , and you observed proper chambering with last round, you will likely need more than a mag or a spring. You may have a real live feed problem. When the slide moves forward, the round should not collide with the ramp even if there is another round below it (obviously). Maybe you could get some good snap caps, place two in the mag, move the slide forward slowly and observe when the error occurs. This would be a good first thing to do.
  5. If you discover when the problem occurs, try to make it happen again (so that you can explain it to the smith)
  6. Do not ignore the possibility of ammunition caused feed problem. Make sure to try more than one type of ammo. (You wouldn't be the first to discover "JoBlow's fancy flying ashcan covers" don't feed worth a good gol darn.)
  7. Now, call your favorite smith, or the mfr.
  8. Bon Chance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anthony Lombardo said:
Are you sure you have a 9mm feedramp frame? I thought Lone Star only made a .45 feedramp frame..
I thought I was sure, it was sold as such. Perhaps it is not?

Anyone have a pic detailing the differences?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must have old 9mm metal form mags then because mine look like .45 mags. I do not see any ramp or grove that I've read about. My bullets actually nose dive in the mags themselves! The soon as I have more than 2 rounds in the mags, all the bullet noses start pointing down. The nose of the bullets stay down and feed in the middle of the frame ramp. It's a shame because the last round is perfectly oriented to feed into the chamber.

Do the Springfield mags nose dive even while loading them?

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
879 Posts
Metalform's 9mm mags should not nose dive your bullets, even in a .45 frame. I have a 9mm CCO I just built using Metalform's 9mm Officer's mags and Colt Oacp frame and no bullets have stuck. If ghat thing can feed reliably and smoothly... :dope:

On the 9mm mag, there should be an indention that runs down the vertical center of the front of the mag. When loaded, the bullet is held pretty high up in the magwell. So it doesn't have much of a ledge to jump as it is loaded into the chamber.

Check back with Metalform. Let them know the trouble you are having with their mag. It shouldn't be doing that.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rock, the "old" metalform mags have a rounded front and a spacer bar inside the rear of mag to hold rounds closer to front of mags, new style mags have indention down the front and no spacer. I have replaced my mag spring with Wolf, as I bought guns used, and increased spring power. I shoot SA 1911 9mm for IDPA and find the mags very reliable, with factory ammo, in 2 different pistols. MIkehp

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've heard that the Wilson .38 Super follower work well as replacements. You might try that first instead of replacement magazines. Also, you might be able to get some newer followers from MF themselves.

My MF's work great in my STI 9mm, but I have the newer ones with the new followers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help, I found a local source for the springfield mags and will be picking them up tomorrow. I ordered my Metal Form mags from Brownells and am very disappointed, they look more like .38 super mags as they do not fit the discription or resemble ANY of the mags you guys have been kind enough to post.

Thanks for all the help, I'll post the results of the springfield mags and try to get some pics too.

Thanks again.

Rockclimbg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rockclimbg said:
Thanks for all the help, I found a local source for the springfield mags and will be picking them up tomorrow.
FYI.. Springfield magazines have been known to be manufactured by Metalform. I don't know if they still are or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fixed it

thanks for all the help and suggestions

Just an update for those who may have a similar problem down the road.

The fix was changing the angle of the feedramp on the barrel. It had to be made pretty shallow to feed reliably. I was worried about not having enough case support but I went slow and test fired often, checking cases for problems. Polishing the feed ramp made a MAJOR difference as well, it wouldn't feed until I polished up the barrel and frame feed ramp. After that, getting the extractor tension just right was a pain as it had to be just perfect.

Now it runs with Wilson .38super mags and the springfield 9mm mags. I'm actually more fond of the wilson mags as they seem to nose dive less and hold one more round although both mags have been great in the last 400 rounds.

Thanks again for the help.

Rockclimbg

·
Registered
647 Posts
Be aware, also, that bullet length has a tremendous effect in a 9mm 1911. Many moons ago, I WAY overramped a '70's vintage Commander trying to get it to feed some S+W brand Semi-wadcutter ammo (They threw them in with the gun...I think I know why, now) and ended up replacing the bbl. Of course it fed round nose perfectly, but I was too young (stupid) to give up on the ammo. That one box of "free" ammo ended up costing me about $75. That was one of my earlier lessons in the school of hard knocks!:biglaugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts