1911Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
All good comments. To address the comment above about whether I can shoot a 9mm significantly better than a 45--no. I shoot well with the 45. I think I could shoot marginally faster with the 9mm.

I appreciate some of the comments about higher capacity, but here is my take. I can't imagine getting into a situation where I need more than 8 or 9 rounds. Could it happen? Yes, but I think it is very unlikely, especially if you are an accurate shooter.

More important I think is using a gun that you shoot well and that you have trained with to the point where it points and shoots like an extension of your body. That's how the 1911 is for me. Not sure I would sacrifice that for extra rounds.

My thought is that in most situations where you might actually have to use your gun, the fight will be over quickly with probably only a few rounds fired. Key is to make those shots fast and accurate. Probably the most important is getting off the first shot fast and accurate. That's where I appreciate carrying a gun that is an extension of my body.

Could I make my Glock feel like that? Maybe....if I shot it all the time. But I do prefer shooting the 1911.

Also like the fact that the 1911 is a bit slimmer to carry.

Last...I guess I believe in owning and using those things that will serve a purpose. If I am not going to carry a 1911 or use it for competition then shooting it at the range is fun, but I am not getting a practical return in terms of the best improvement in my skills for self defense or competition...since I am using a gun that I won't carry or won't compete with.

Matt

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My 1951 Colt Commander number 62XX in 9mm was added to my carry list while back Its as came from factory (I did swap the old grips) I was surprise it has feed every 9mm HP I have tried . Its a joy to carry and shoot.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
All good comments. To address the comment above about whether I can shoot a 9mm significantly better than a 45--no. I shoot well with the 45. I think I could shoot marginally faster with the 9mm.

Using a shot timer, I've found that the difference for me between a 5" steel 9mm 1911 and a 4" alloy framed .45 is measured in 1/100ths of a second; with a steel 5" .45, there's no appreciable difference.

I appreciate some of the comments about higher capacity, but here is my take. I can't imagine getting into a situation where I need more than 8 or 9 rounds. Could it happen? Yes, but I think it is very unlikely, especially if you are an accurate shooter.

More important I think is using a gun that you shoot well and that you have trained with to the point where it points and shoots like an extension of your body. That's how the 1911 is for me. Not sure I would sacrifice that for extra rounds.

Both of these are valid points. To address the first issue, that's what reloads spares are for; regardless of the gun and its capacity, a spare magazine should always be carried. the magazine is the single biggest point of failure on a semi auto pistol. What you shoot the best, and have the most confidence in is also a significant factor in making the decision.

Also like the fact that the 1911 is a bit slimmer to carry.

This is one of the big selling points of the 1911; they don't make any double stack 9mm that's as slim as a 1911.

Matt
Some thoughts....

I wouldn't swap a .45 1911 for a 9mm 1911 unless you have serious recoil management issues. I know with age and arthritis, my father did have to give up his .45s a while ago, and get 9mms.

·
Registered
8,354 Posts
Concealed carry....9mm or .45?

I have many different guns that I could use for concealed carry. However, my high capacity guns are used mostly for action shooting games. I sometimes carry an Officers size 1911 9mm with a 3.5" barrel, but more often than not, I carry a Commander length single stack 1911 in .38 super....

Whatever gun I choose for concealed carry, I always have at least one spare mag (or more) on my opposite side hip. A gun without ammo is a very short handled club.....!:eek:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
you only get 2 more rounds in a 1911 by going 9mm, and in my experience the 45's are more reliable, and easier to keep running. I shoot a 9mm 1911 in competition, but when I carry a 1911, it's 45.

(normally I carry a p01 tho, which holds 14+1).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I own SA, Kimber and RIA 1911s and a 1911-like Sig P938. They're of various calibers (9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP) in various barrel lengths (3, 4, 4.25 and 5 inches). They're all reliable and accurate as long as I do my part. When it comes to my EDC guns, though, I go with my 9mm pistols: Kimber Tactical Pro II (OWB) or Sig P938 Extreme (pocket carry).

41 - 47 of 47 Posts