1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be about .29 a round for PMC 115gr for awhile

Anyone else seeing 9mm cheaper? I am running low..

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cabela's KCK store had PMC 9mm 115 g FMJ on sale for $11.99/50 last week. They have their house brand, "Herters" 9mm 115 g FMJ STEEL CASE for $8.99/50 this week. Also plenty of Blazer Brass 9mm 115g FMJ for 14.99/50. The WalMarts have been able to keep WWB 9mm 115 g FMJ 100 round value packs in stock for $26.50. It seem like the supply on cheapish 9mm range ammo has started to pass the demand.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Just checked cabelas herters select comes to .28 a round shipped. I missed that 11.99 last week I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The wall-marts here in NC have been having the tula steel cases for $10 per 50 rounds and the tula brassmax for $23 per 100 rounds. I have and have shot a good supply of both without any problems.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Isn't the TulAmmo steel case ammunition loaded with a bi-metal steel/copper-alloy jacketed bullet?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Isn't the TulAmmo steel case ammunition loaded with a bi-metal steel/copper-alloy jacketed bullet?
The cheaper of the two kinds are steel cased, 115 grain FMJ's (They also sell this in 223 for about 26 cents per round). The brassmax is brass case 115 grain FMJ. For the 9mm, it comes in a round 100 round box that is a PITA to get open, especially in a hurry. The other calibers I have seen are in regular looking boxes.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The cheaper of the two kinds are steel cased, 115 grain FMJ's (They also sell this in 223 for about 26 cents per round). The brassmax is brass case 115 grain FMJ. For the 9mm, it comes in a round 100 round box that is a PITA to get open, especially in a hurry. The other calibers I have seen are in regular looking boxes.
My question was specifically asking about the composition of the alloy used to jacket the bullets. Sorry if my wording was too confusing.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
So, that would leave me to believe that you wouldn't want to shoot a particularly large amount of those bullets through your barrel, as it would wear more quickly than shooting lead or copper bullets. For a competition shooter that practices regularly with cheap ammo, I would not recommend running that stuff through a precision firearm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, that is correct.It is a copper washed steel jacket. I have tried the "magnet test"on them.
Did you try the "magnet test" on the Tula BrassMaxx also? I just pulled my magnet out and the projectile in the steel case ones are magnetic. The brassmaxx ones are not. They are however 0.05" shorter than the winchester 100 round value packs though. If that matters to anyone.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Did you try the "magnet test" on the Tula BrassMaxx also? I just pulled my magnet out and the projectile in the steel case ones are magnetic. The brassmaxx ones are not. They are however 0.05" shorter than the winchester 100 round value packs though. If that matters to anyone.
Thanks for the info! I was wondering about the Brass Max stuff from Tula. How does it compare to the WWB ball ammo and the cheap Federal Red Box stuff? Dirty? Accurate? Plated or copper wash?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the info! I was wondering about the Brass Max stuff from Tula. How does it compare to the WWB ball ammo and the cheap Federal Red Box stuff? Dirty? Accurate? Plated or copper wash?
To me, I cannot tell a difference between this and the other cheap ammo I have used. It is a little dirty, but most of the cheaper stuff is. I am not sure how to tell if plated or copper wash. Not real sure on accuracy yet. My only 9mm is a 1911 build in progress. Gun is functioning flawlessly but I do not have any sights on it yet.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was at my local Walmart and they had a large amount of 100 rd federal champion 9mm in stock. I was dissapointed that the price has gone up to 25.77 a box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts