1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 9mm 1911 for Bullseye on a Caspian frame and slide set. In a previous thread on the subject Bob Hunter of Hunter Custom stated:

"There's many good barrel manufactures; several have already been named. That being said I would not overlook a Schuemann AET barrel. I've heard claims of the AET barrel being able to shoot .5 inch groups at 50 yards when tested from a barrel fixture. I'll have to say after buiding several guns using the AET barrels I have no reason to doubt this."

Does anyone else have experience with 9MM Schuemann AET barrels?

Which one would have more potential mechanical accuracy - the conventional barrel with a bushing or a bull barrel?

Perhaps more importantly will Shuemann fit their barrels? If not who would you all recommend?

Thanks Chris

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
I have one in a 9mm SVI built by george at EGW that shoots ragged holes with Winchester white box ammo at ranges up to 25 yards

I have never shot it further than that.

AET barrels are hard to get right now and Schuemann does not offer fitting service.

I do like the barrels very, very much though in 9mm as the AET was designed for that caliber originally to meet the very stringent accuracy requirements of a European distributor of SVI.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ANDERSON said:
I am building a 9mm 1911 for Bullseye on a Caspian frame and slide set. In a previous thread on the subject Bob Hunter of Hunter Custom stated:

"There's many good barrel manufactures; several have already been named. That being said I would not overlook a Schuemann AET barrel. I've heard claims of the AET barrel being able to shoot .5 inch groups at 50 yards when tested from a barrel fixture. I'll have to say after buiding several guns using the AET barrels I have no reason to doubt this."

Does anyone else have experience with 9MM Schuemann AET barrels?

Which one would have more potential mechanical accuracy - the conventional barrel with a bushing or a bull barrel?

Perhaps more importantly will Shuemann fit their barrels? If not who would you all recommend?

Thanks Chris
I don't see a 9mm on their website. Do you know they make one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anthony..

Is your barrel a ramped barrel. The Caspian frame/slide set that I was going to order was for a Wilson/Nowlin Ramp. It does not appear that Schuemann makes one of their Classic AET barrels in 9mm with a Wilson/Nowlin ramp but rather he offers a Clark/Para Ord/Lissner ramp configuration at least in his AET line.

I am reluctant to switch barrel ramp configurations. I have had good success with the Wilson/Nowlin Ramp in conjuction with the Metalform 9mm (springfield with internal feed ramp config). I dont want any feed problems.

CHRIS

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
The feedramp dimensions are the same with the c/p and nowlin ramp so the AET barrels feed great. They have a curved feedramp and actually feed better than a straight ramp so, get a c/p ramp and it will work just fine,

The difference between a c/p and nowlin ramp are in the area that contacts the frame bed. the c/p is radiused and stronger, IMO.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Anthony Lombardo said:
The feedramp dimensions are the same with the c/p and nowlin ramp so the AET barrels feed great. They have a curved feedramp and actually feed better than a straight ramp so, get a c/p ramp and it will work just fine,

The difference between a c/p and nowlin ramp are in the area that contacts the frame bed. the c/p is radiused and stronger, IMO.
Anthony I don't believe you will get the gun and barrel timed right by trying to use a Clark/Para ramped barrel in a frame cut for the Wilson/Nowlin ramp.
I have in the past milled the radius on a Clark ramped barrel to work in a Wilson/Nowlin frame.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
367 Posts
sounds like a problem with terminology..... When they sell it, they call it a Wilson/nowlin ramp. So when someone says that they don't want to change from a wilson ramp to a clark ramp, they are most likely talking about the cut required in the frame. As far as the actual ramp.... The AET barrels are supposed to have a curved feed ramp as opposed to the flat ramp on the other ones...From what I just read....:rock:

·
Registered
484 Posts
got one.....

I am currently fitting a 6in bull barrel AET 9x19 barrel in my wannabe Bianchi blaster! It was special order, with a special higher price!:bawling: but I bought it anyway......I will post when I get it done this winter and load test it at 50 yds. I am sure that it will shoot, but with what I know now, I probably would have just bought a KART barrel and been done with it! DougC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.