1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Kimber fans,

The 9mm Stainless Target II is now available in California and I'm very interested in getting one. How's the quality and accuracy of this gun? If it's made as tight as my stainless target in 45 ACP, then it would really be a desirable piece.

I currently have a Springfield 1911 in 9mm and it shoots fairly well. But I know Kimber's quality will even be better. Kinda scary though with the many negative posts on kimber products lately.

Would the Kimber equal the accuracy of a S&W 952 you think?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Target II 9mm come with an internal extractor which is good but don't count on it being adjusted properly. They are real fun to shoot but it's tough to keep the extractor tuned because Kimber cuts a .40 cal breech face on their 9mm and 38 Super guns. This means that the extractor has to push a lot more to hold the rim of the cartridge against the opposite side of the slide and then when the cartridge enters the chamber the case scrapes town the left side of the chamber as it tries to center itself and push the extractor way to the right. All this extra flexing and the mis-alignment leads to occasional malfunctions and the extractor having to be tuned a lot more than normal. I own 2 of them and have 25K through one of them. I got tired of them not being made with the right breech face and sent 4 9mm Kimber slides to George at EGW and had the breech face welded up and re-cut to a proper 9mm. They are more reliable now. If you just want it for play, it should be fine. I compete with mine and it always chose to malfunction at the worst time in a match so I just fixed it.

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
270 Posts
is it also true for the stainless 2 that i have in super?

if so, you just made my day. I can scrounge up a 40 barrel somewhere and have 3 calibers, 9/super/and 40

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
baker1425 said:
if so, you just made my day. I can scrounge up a 40 barrel somewhere and have 3 calibers, 9/super/and 40
Just take off your slide and put a Super case on the breech and let the extractor hold it, look at it and see if it looks off center. Take a .40 case and see how it fits. That should tell you what you need to know.

As far as the Tactical Pro, I had a smith tell me that he got one in that actually had the right breech face on it but I did not see this for myself so just here say on that report till I see it.

If you change barrels, you may have to replace the extractor because when you fit an extractor for a 9mm to a .40 breach, you have to take a lot off of the locater pad behind the hook to get the extractor to go far enough over to hold the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TLE,
I did read your posts sometime ago regarding the breechface issue. I called Kimber just this past week & the rep said it's a 9mm breech -- he didn't seem too certain about it. It is quite weird if it truly has a .40 breech because that means they would have to use this on their 38 supers as well.

My Springfield Target 9mm truly has a 9mm breechface and it is very reliable. I've shot close to 1000 rounds through it without a cleaning and it still works well. I did adjust the extractor tension when I first bought it though.

My first choice would be an STI, but I don't think that will ever be available in CA. The Springfields on the other hand have inconsistent QC issues. My gun shoots well, but not any better than my Glocks, S&W 5906tsw, beretta, etc. I wish the trigger and fit would be as good as my Kimber Stainless Target in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
Our club psychologist has one that does very well. Whether it is as accurate as a 952, I dunno. It is probably not as accurate as the magazine writers claim a 952 to be, but it would not be hard to beat the only 952 I have ever actually seen shot at 50 yards by somebody who knew what he was doing (A Governor's 20 PPC shooter who usually shoots a 52 in the auto events.)

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
270 Posts

my stainless II is on its way to four calibers (9,super,40,10), because the 40 caliber case fits perfectly.

now i need to start hunting up a 40 sw barrel

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I bought one a few months ago. It failed to fire regulary. I sent it back to Kimber and they didn't fix it. I pulled the firing pin safety parts out and now it works fine.

As far as accuracy, I have a custom rebuilt RIA in 9mm that shoots better than the Kimber. Looks to me like a Kimber "Target" model is nothing other than a standard grade pistol with an adjustable rear sight. Don't get me wrong, the pistol shoots well but my Colt Gold Cup and STI .40 will outshoot it, as will the Rock Island.

If your Springfield runs without issue, I don't think I'd replace it with a Kimber. But if you just want to get an additional 9mm, go for it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
G. Freeman said:
It is quite weird if it truly has a .40 breech because that means they would have to use this on their 38 supers as well.
actually, the 38 Super comes closer to fitting the .40 breech face than the 9mm. The 38 Super rim is in between the 9mm and .40 in size.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did not know that Kimber 9 mm is on the CA DOJ list. When was it?

Because of the law in CA, I just ordered the SA 9 mm last week and waiting for my 10 days clearance ...

Please update us of the quality of the Kimber 9 mm. I have a TLE/II myself and loves it. :rock:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies gents. All your input has helped me make my decision--I'll keep my SA for now instead of trading it in for the Kimber.

Tokarev, yeah, I think I'll just stay w/ my SA right now.

Hkfooey, the Kimber sts target 9mm just got into the Ca DOJ approve list a week ago

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does this mean that Kimber has fixed the problems?

I too am a Californian that is a big fan of 9mm
1911s. I own several from Colt and Springfield. I
plan on ordering a 9mm Stainless Target II after
the first of the year.

I will admit that after reading all of the
reliability issues with this gun, it is amazing
that they were able to get it past the California
reliability testing to get it qualified. Does this
mean that Kimber has fixed the problems?

week & the rep said it's a 9mm breech -- he didn't
seem too certain about it." It is a shame that
you can't get a definitive answer from the factory
to a simple yes or not question.

By the way, what is the current street price for
one?

Lanyard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Last I check, it will be over $900 for us in Kalifornia... that's why I purchase the SA 9 mm instead (around $750 - with a few hundred bucks for upgrade) ... will get it next week... can't wait! :)

Will update you all on SA area soon. :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
TLE said:
The Target II 9mm come with an internal extractor which is good but don't count on it being adjusted properly. If you just want it for play, it should be fine. I compete with mine and it always chose to malfunction at the worst time in a match so I just fixed it.
Stick an Aftec extractor in it and NEVER look back! That is what I did, and I fling brass 15 Feet! Guys run from my STS TII when I shoot!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was adjusting mine every 2-3 thousand rounds but it still malfunctioned on occasion. Since I had it welded up by George it's been great. I haven't touched in in the last 8,000 rounds and I just used it in a match this weekend and got promoted to expert with it. This was the first major match that I used it in where it ran 100%. Having the right breech face on it has really helped me from getting frustrated with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.