1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a .40 BHP, which I love. Together with HK USP, it's my favorite semi-autopistol. I am usually not the kind of person to buy more than one example of a particular gun, but in this case I might make an exemption. My question is: does 9mm BHP handle and feel significantly different from it's .40 cal cousin? I know that the weight and dimesions are slightly different, and of course 9mm is a softer shooting caliber, but does the overall shooting experience make it feel like a different gun?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
To me, Browning/FN did things right when they came out with the .40 version of their gun. (The same can't be said for certain other makes.) Anyhow, the slide and recoil spring poundage are heavier on the BHP .40, plus, they added a third locking lug to the barrel and slide.

These factors add up to give you a .40 pistol that seems no harder to control than its 9mm "uncle". This was easy for me to determine for myself. Took one of each chambering to the range and did the same fast handling drills with both. Splits and overall times were nearly identical. Have since repeated that experiment with the same results.

Of course your results may vary. But in my opinion the 9mm BHP would be a great addition to your lineup.

·
Registered
230 Posts
To me, the 40 handles differently from the 9, and not in a good way. I bought the 40 first in a fit of "gotta have the latest and greatest". To my mind the 9mm has less recoil (therefore faster recovery) and feels lighter and better in the hand (I know the weight difference is minimal, but it does seem different). But to each their own. I do agree with you on the USP - it is the only 40 that I've ever enjoyed shooting.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have both too and hate to admit that the balance of the 9mm is almost perfect.

The 40 is a great shooter but does feel a bit top heavy. In my hand the nose dips down a little from the weight whereas the 9mm doesn't.

Of course, it might just be that I shot the 9mm first.

Guess, I have to be different but I much prefer the HP40 over a USP40. I am not a huge fan of that grip. But I am a fan of steel frame 40's in general. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having owned both in my lifetime and currently owning a .40 FN and a 9mm FEG clone, the only difference in feel IMHO is mainly in the weight (top-heavier with the .40) and when holstering as well as carrying.

I used to dislike the .40 BHP, but it grew on me that I actually like it for the fact that it is a much sturdier and more versatile pistol than the 9mm version:
1) You can get conversion barrels to 9mm as well as .357 SIG and be able to shoot 3 calibers off the same platform.
2) Despite both having the same stronger cast frame recently, I find it easier and more confident to shoot 9mm +P in the .40 BHP with the 9mm conversion barrel due to its heavier and thicker slide plus having an extra locking lug.

When it comes to concealed carry, both will do the job, but the advantage goes for the 9mm version due to slimmer slide, lighter weight and better balanced.

When it comes to robustness and sturdiness, the advantage goes to .40 BHP

When it comes to shooting, it is a little snappier when shooting the .40 BHP with .40 loads. However, when shooting 9mm through the converted .40 BHP, the recoil feels less than when shooting the 9mm BHP.

When it comes to .40 SW, the only pistols in that caliber that I like are (in order) the BHP and the SIG P239. So between the two of them, the BHP is pretty much the only .40SW pistol that I'll keep. However, when it comes to 9mm, the BHP is at the top of my list of pistols in that caliber that I like.

Both are great pistols and I can live with either.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Snce you would be going from .40 to 9mm, you will probably see it differently than most of us.

I was used to the feel of the 9mm BHP when I got my .40, and in comparison- the .40 felt much more top-heavy and a little bit muzzle-heavy to me.
You might find the 9mm light and "whippy".
It's all in what you're used to.

And like I always say about the .40 BHP- I don't like it's feel compared to the 9mm, but I like it better than any other .40 I've tried. So it's not an extreme change. But it is a change.

Something you MAY find is an accuracy difference. The 9mm BHP has always shot OK or better, but I've never had a stock one that was just amazingly accurate. My .40 shoots like crazy and I always hear the same from others.
So if your .40 shoots great- You might experience a tiny accuracy "drop-off", but it's because it has the room to drop-off to begin with.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My .40 shoots like crazy and I always hear the same from others.
Not mine Barry... not that it matters a whole bunch for defense work, but bad enough it annoys me. I don't think it meets Browning's 4"/25 yd accuracy standard. I might not be the fastest action shooter in the world, but I've run up enough good scores and placings competing in PPC for 25 years to know I can hold and squeeze as well as most people, and this BHP simply isn't accurate. I had a friend who is one of the better PPC shooters nationally have a go as well to make sure it wasn't just me - it wasn't.

I am in the process of writing a letter to Browning regarding the $143 bill this BHP arrived with when sent back to me collect, for warranty work on this pistol. They did the warranty work and then billed me for it.... After waiting nearly a year for them to sort it out and get the pistol back to me the first time, it is unlikely that I will send it back to Browning again to deal with the accuracy issue (which I mentioned to them the first time). Most likely I'll just shoot it for another year until the accuracy thing has picked away at me in the back of my mind long enough that I'll fork out the dollars to have a competent smith put a match barrel in it.

My old '69 BHP, on the other hand, is a wonderfully accurate piece of kit.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I'm with some of the above posters here in that I don't like the feel of the .40 cal. HP at all in comparison to the original in 9mm....balance and handling are all f$&*ed up IMO. The 9mm make a lot more sense in this pistol ESPECIALLY now with ammo prices. You can still get very good performing (+p) JHPs in 9mm as well.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Not mine Barry... not that it matters a whole bunch for defense work, but bad enough it annoys me. I don't think it meets Browning's 4"/25 yd accuracy standard. I might not be the fastest action shooter in the world, but I've run up enough good scores and placings competing in PPC for 25 years to know I can hold and squeeze as well as most people, and this BHP simply isn't accurate. I had a friend who is one of the better PPC shooters nationally have a go as well to make sure it wasn't just me - it wasn't.
That is the first .40 BHP I've heard anyone say that about.
I knew there had to be at least one somewhere, though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The accuracy on my 40 BHP is not up to my Sig 9mm 226 or my GSR. I mean, its OK, but definitely nothing to brag about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own both a .40 and a 9mm, well 2 9s actually counting the FEG PJK 9HP clone and I don't detect much difference in the grip or my accuracy between the three when I'm shooting. Yes, there is a difference in recoil between the 9s and the .40, but nothing that impacts my accuracy. All three fit my grip very nicely.

--
Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've fired the .40, mainly a Glock,since the .40S&W round was introduced.The Hi-Power .40,to me,is the most comfortable in my hand & offers the most control,as does the 9mm Hi-Power.I have no problem printing 1.5-2" groups at 15 yards.For me thats exceptionally good.I'm hooked on HI-Powers to say the least.Does anybody know where to get a set of "Uncle Mike's" grips for the BHP?I realize they don"t make grips anymore,but it hasn't been that long since they were on the walls and shelves about everywhere.Surely theres some laying around someplace.Thanks,Shameless.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I love shooting my .40, it feels great and is accurate. I'm not so thrilled with my 9mm and am thinking of selling the 9mm. The BHP .40 handles the cartridge very well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Other than than being a little "snappier" on the recoil, I don't percieve much practical difference between my .40 and 9s. Well, other than putting the heavier recoil spring back into the .40 after field stripping is a PITA compared to my 9s.

I'm carrying the .40 as a CCW piece now since I like the sights better (previous owners put some Novak's on it).

I guess I carry enough weight around naturally that I don't notice any difference between the 2 in that department.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't percieve much practical difference between my .40 and 9s. Well, other than putting the heavier recoil spring back into the .40 after field stripping is a PITA compared to my 9s.
It helps to push the guide rod and barrel in together. You get a little more surface area hanging on to the cam than the end of the guide rod.

·
Registered
745 Posts
.40 is snappier...

I have both 40 and 9mm, FN's, like both, the .40 is snappier in recoil, feels heavier, but it has a better trigger, luck of the draw. And the .40 is a SFS model, which I like, the 9 has the magazine safety but not the SFS decocking feature. For high volume shooting I prefer the 9.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts