1911Forum banner

9x19 IDPA Colt back from 'smith

1206 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Brent Chambers
I know most of you prefer stock Colts, but for those Colt fans that are fellow action pistol shooters I thought I'd post this.

The hammer, beavertail, thumb and guide rod are all Ed Brown. The sear and disconnector are Cylinder & Slide, the magwell S&A, the trigger Videcki, the rear sight BoMar and the front Dawson. The barrel is Colt, but has been crowned, finish reamed and polished. The entire gun was dehorned and the front strap checkered at the 20 lpi I prefer.

After years of using just 10mm for IPSC and IDPA I finally decided I wanted to join the cheap ammo club. I'm going to use this for IDPA and stick with 10mm for IPSC and the Single Stack Classic. Its a ton of fun to shoot!

I borrowed a nice camera and photo lights...and I still can't take a decent picture!

Brent

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Brent, Welcome to the dark side. Now fit that shooter with a 9x23 barrel and your ready to rock. I just finished building my first gun from scratch and it turned out great, but I don't have a camera around anymore since my daughter moved out.

Good luck, you'll really enjoy shooting that thing.

P.S. I also picked up a Stainless Delta Elite that had only 10 rounds thru it. I'll keep that one stock too.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, its good to hear from you. I'm sorry you don't have access to a camera- your work is outstanding.

I thought about 9x23...but I was ready to really embrace cheapness! Nice find on the Delta.

Michael, I like the 9 round magazines best for IDPA. That way at the start of each stage I have an even number (10) rounds in the gun.

I'm not sure about 10 round 9x19 mags. on the market, but I'm sure someone here does...

Brent

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In IDPA the .45 ACP is now the sole caliber allowed in CDP, it used to include the 10mm, which is what I used in CDP.

Now I'll use this 9x19 for ESP. It does recoil less than the .45 and 10mm- but best of all, the brass is really cheap and so is factory ammo. I've never found 10mm recoil to be a problem with proper handloads. The 10mm is actually a great caliber for these games, and the brass can be found at fair prices. I was just ready to branch out a little bit, more than anything.

The gun is blued, BTW- bad photos just don't show it.

To be honest I find a properly setup 9x23 is actually a faster caliber to shoot IDPA with than the 9x19, but again, cost was an issue.

Brent

· Registered
81 Posts
ScottsGT said:
BEAUTIFUL!
Couple of questions though, What is the finish? A bake on or blued?

Why change from .45 ACP? I've often wondered why. I understand the .38 super thing with Mexico gun laws, but why caliber change?

38 super is a great caliber for gun games, small game, and self defense (with the right load) I have a Kimber in 38 super and it is about all I shoot IDPA with anymore. With Corbon you can get more energy and less recoil than a 45.;)

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, I'm a big fan of .38 Super too. The problem is availability.

It's about $.32/rd if I purchase it locally -vs- about $.12/rd for 9mm.

I have found some .38 Super in quantity for $.16/rd and even $.13/rd off the Internet, but it's not so easy to come by.

Mike

· Registered
667 Posts
Michael,

I'm with you on 9 mm for economy (Wallymart Winchester ammo is hard to beat). I bought a 9 mm 1911 Mark IV with the collet bushing about 6 mos. ago. I have added Bomar lowmount sights and a long trigger and the gun is just great.

I'm an old target shooter and I enjoy getting out and banging away. Reloading as much ammo as I want to shoot is getting old--therefore 9 mm is great. How well does your modified gun group? Mine isn't too great, not like my reworked target guns that shoot 1 hole groups.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Due to duck season I haven't really played with it much- but tomorrow I plan to put a lot of rounds through it and see what it can do. I'll let you know. I shot plates with it the day I got it and it did fine- probably all I'll ask of it.

Post a picture of your 9mm if you can.

Brent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.