1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the subtleties to make this arrangement work? What is all this talk about "long-loading" the 9mm rounds?

I wish Wilson or someone would just make 10 round single stack 9mm mags instead of having to bastardize the .38 Supers.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I actaully was able to convert my 9-round (9X19) single-stack Mec-Gar mags into 10 round capacity using some "increased capacity" followers and springs sold through Brownells for .38Super 9-round mags to convert them to 10-round. The followers were plastic and required extensive trimming and filing (not for the faint-hearted). This way, the bullets still fit in the tube. They feed and cycle perfectly.

"Long-loading" a 9X19 to fit .38S means you don't push the slug all the way in so the total length matches the .38S round. Obviously, a 9X19 made this way would not fit into a standard 9X19 magazine which has a "bumper plate" along the back wall to make up the size difference. I would also be concerned such rounds wouldn't feed correctly up the 9X19 ramp and barrel.

As for shoving 9X19 rounds into a 38S mag: of course, they will fit (same diameter, slightly shorter). I have heard from some that they work OK, some others say the don't always feed right.

·
Registered
345 Posts
"Long-loading" a 9X19 to fit .38S means you don't push the slug all the way in so the total length matches the .38S round. Obviously, a 9X19 made this way would not fit into a standard 9X19 magazine which has a "bumper plate" along the back wall to make up the size difference. I would also be concerned such rounds wouldn't feed correctly up the 9X19 ramp and barrel.

I load my 9mm rds. to 1.165" OAL. They will just fit nicely into the factory 9mm mags [with the spacer] and work just as well in the Super mags too. According to Lymans Reloading Manual#46, they state that 1.169" is the maximum OAL. I even found 1.170" fit into the back spacer factory mags, but they start getting snug there. I don't want feeding problems and hangups, so I use 1.165" as a happy medium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts