1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Springfield Ultra Compact in 9mm and am considering a 9x23 conversion as long as I can swap back to 9x19 for economic and conveinence reasons.

First, it looks like the SA barrel is pretty proprietary so I am guessing I would have to obtain another SA barrel for reaming?

Second, would it even be worth it? 9x23 out of such a short barrel?

Third, seems like flush fitting mags would be impossible to find.

And finally, would the alloy frame hold up at all?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by AndABeer:
Just picked up a Springfield Ultra Compact in 9mm and am considering a 9x23 conversion as long as I can swap back to 9x19 for economic and conveinence reasons.

First, it looks like the SA barrel is pretty proprietary so I am guessing I would have to obtain another SA barrel for reaming?

Second, would it even be worth it? 9x23 out of such a short barrel?

Third, seems like flush fitting mags would be impossible to find.

And finally, would the alloy frame hold up at all?
Yup, the Ultra has a somewhat unique barrel, especially, the Ported ones. 9x23 in a 3-3.5" barrel could be okay, but I'd be looking for more length, personally.

Nope, I have been in search of 38 Super sized Officer's length mags, as my pet project would be a 9x23 Commander on an Officers frame. You can get some standard Colt 38 Super mags, and re-weld the bases on after cutting the .4" off it, if you were so inclined.

The Alloy, sure, it could hold up to some shooting, not tens of thousands of rounds, but it would survive. Dane has built some full-size Lightweights on Alloy frames, with lightened slides.

You might consider another model for your project base, but if you do use this one, good luck.

·
Registered
22,186 Posts
jaydee,
Just last week Metalform ran off a batch of OACP length magazines for .38 Super and 9x23. See Pistolsmith.com for more info.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
jaydee,
Just last week Metalform ran off a batch of OACP length magazines for .38 Super and 9x23. See Pistolsmith.com for more info.
I'd heard about those, and knew they were coming. Good to hear they finished them, but wonder if any are still available.

Sure wish I could convince Wilson Combat to do the same

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
jaydee,

They were supposed to run off a bunch..they tok pre-orders to make sure there would be enough..Mine showed up the other day and they look real nice...SS, pretty clean..strips off rounds very smoothly and comes pre-drilled for some type of basepad. Make sure you order 10 or more..good price break at that number...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts