1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I safely shoot 9x23 in my super bbl? Or do I need to rechamber or get another bbl? I did a search for 9x23 but still not sure.:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
1911roben
Maybe, some of the things to consider are:
1. Is the barrel in question a ramped fully supported type?
2. Do you reload or will you only be shooting factory ammo? if reloading use either Star Line or ArmsCor supercomp brass ( Winchester 9X23 brass is way over engineered in the web area to allow it to be shot in the Colt pistol without a supported chamber)
3. Will you want to switch back and forth between the .38 Super and 9X23 ? I recommend installing a AFTEC extractor from Brownells (www. brownells.com) part #466-001-009. If you try to use the stock extractor it will have to be tuned for the rimless case and switching back to simi-rimed will detension it causing it to need adjustment often. Bottom line the AFTEC extractor is well worth the $ weather you switch back and forth or not.
4. As to a new barrel? you will have to insert a 9x23 round and feel for the tightness of it in the chamber especially at the rear, if it slips in and out easily it can be shot after the extractor is tuned or replaced to accommodate the rimless cases. If it is tight the chamber can be reamed for 9x23 and still shoot .38 SUPER. I have a Bar- Sto .38 SUPER barrel that handles 9x23 no problem, I normally chamber ream any USPSA open class pistol I build in
9X23 so that it will handle all of the rimless brass out their (9x23, .38 SC, 9SC, .38TJ) and have so far built 10 barrels this way with no problems ( 8 Compensated & 2 5” bull).
2011BLDR

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2011bldr, the pistol in question is a SA mil-spec with ramped bbl. I'll check out that extactor. what have you found accuracywise between rechambering a 38 super bbl. if 9x23 does't fit or buying a second bbl. in 9x23? thanks again for the reply.:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
1911roben
Any properly fitted aftermarket match barrel should out shoot a milspec as far as mechanical accerasery is concerned. What you can achieve hand held is much more dependent on how well the shooting platform (you) interface with the pistol. All the custom modifications we do to the 1911 are to help us in this area ( trigger jobs, beavertails, high vis sights, exct). All is dependent on how much you are willing to spend.
Out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2011BLDR, I looked in Brownell's catalog AFTEC listed seperate #s for 9x23 and 38 super. which should I order? thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just reread your reply. you already answered my question.009 for 9x23 it is. As you can see buy the 1911s I own I like accuracy. thanks again.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
1911roben
If you mainly shoot 9X23 factory or hand loads in one of the rimless cases (.38 SUPER COMP, 9 SUPER COMP .38 TOD JERRETT) part #466-001-009 will work. I do not recommend you try to shoot mostly factory .38 Super and expect any extractor to function on the rimless cases when you switch to it. Do you reload? on what machine?
out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2011BLDR, Yes I do reload on a dillon 550. I have 38 super dillon dies. I don't have 9x19 dies. can I use 38 s dies for 9x23? thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1911roben
Yes .38 super dies work the best on the the rimless cases (.38 SUPER COMP, 9 SUPER COMP .38 TOD JERRETT) with a 9mm shell plate. Since you will be reloading change the extractor and switch over to one of the rimless cases (Star Line .38 SUPER COMP or ARMSCOR .38 Super Rimless). Factory 9X23 should fit your present barrel if not reaming is an option for the self
defense arena. I recommend the Wilson .38 SUPER magazines #965-047-310 from Brownells.
out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I had to drive 60 mi. to find any 9x23 got three boxes of Silvertips then 60 mi. back home. loaded 4 rnds. in mag then a cor-bon, a Aguila, a miwall, a usa and a amer. eagle. went out back and the whole mag ran without a hiccup. Loaded the mag again with 10 rnds. 9x23 and that fed prefect also! I'm happy as a clam.:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
9x23 is a super strong case and does not need a fully suported chamber.............................................. or a ramped barrel in a single stacked gun.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Hardball, My Mil-Tech has a ramped barrel. Fired 9x23 brass looks good just more straight walled than before it was fired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts