1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I wanted to share this story. I was pretty excited about it. There is a lady I have worked with for over six years. She was very anti-gun, she was the there is no reson to own one thats what cops are for type. Well we had lots of talks about guns and such over the years. I respect her enough that I alway listioned to her opinion. And I would ask her questions about the way I felt.Well over the last couple years we have a bunch of heart to heart talks about evey thing from marriage & guns to religion. (yes I pack a Bible and a 1911 ) I felt her opinion on guns was changing but I didnt realize how much. Until I sent her a email a couple days ago with a articlel I read in Amercian Handgunner my John Conner. It was about why he carries a gun and about a little girl named Lizzie. I have the web link if I am allowed to post it here.Its is a realy touching story. She sent a email back that said she has realy been doing some thinking and with her situation now (unfortunately she is in final stages of a divorce and her and her two kids are living by them selves) I guess my marriage talks werent as good as my gun talks lol. No realy I am 27 and been married for 9 years, I was luck to find a wonderful girl to put up with me. There are two sides to ever story but the things she told me her husband has said and the way he has treated her. There is no reason for.No matter what. I never once said to get a divorce but I am almost glad she did. She is a lot happier now. Anyway I wanted to explain why she is living by herself not that anyone cares. Back to the story she said she has been think about talking to me about buying a gun from me. I dont think she wants to walk in a gun store yet lol. Well I talked to my wife, who also likes her alot,and although her and her ex husbant make more money then us her money is pretty tight untill she gets this divorce done. Which could be awhile.
But I would have a hard time taking money for something that could save her or her kids life someday anyway. She is welcome to anything we own (expept for my 1911 ofcource and my wifes carry gun wich is a XD-9. That leaves a j-frame , kel-tec .380 or a Model 1917 .45acp revolver that has a 4" barrel and has been nikel coated but is in excellent shape for a duty gun.I have a little safe she could have that would fit any of them. I think I will leave my Ak collect alone for now : ) It would mean alot to me to give her a firearm. . Especially since she was always realy realy anti-gun. Well I had to share this story it realy shocked me. Hopefully I dint ramble on to much and sound like a big dork. .

·
Registered
668 Posts
You sound thoughtful and generous. Make sure she knows how to use any gun you give/lend her. Make sure she understands self defense and the laws in her state. Make sure she understands SAFETY, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe something like a .410 gage shotgun would be best???

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was hopeing for some input like that. I would transfer it in her name. And really hope she would go to the range with me and my wife atleast once. The shotgun would be better I think. I dont own one but I saw single shot one at Wallmart pretty cheap. The only thing I wasnt sure about is her kids. The are good kids but one is 13 and one is 15. They could get curious. I hope she would put the handgun in the safe, but I dont know of any way to lock up a shotgun. I did tell a little white lie. I told her I owned a single shot shotgun if thats what she wanted. I would rather see a handgun locked in a safe. But I dont want to lead her wrong , and I want her to be as confortable as possaible with what ever she goes with. If she even brings it up again. out of the handguns I was thinking about the 4" 45acp revolver. It is so heavy " I dont think" the recoil feels bad at all. But the main reason is if she ever was pushed to point it at someone it looks alot more intimidating than the kel-tec or j-frame. I dont know if that is a logical point though? Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
668 Posts
A handgun is almost useless to an inexperienced user. On my first trip out I couldn't hit a pieplate at 25 ft. with a .38 special, yet I had a lot of rifle experience. After 55 years, I'm pretty decent now with a good gun. The first time out with a P-38 my wife froze on the trigger emptying the gun downward until she almost shot off her toes. She has never touched a gun since--don't know that I blame her.

My suggestion, if she has no experience shooting, would be a small repeater shotgun--(double, pump or whatever). Single shots are junk in my opinion. Maybe a Ruger 10-22 would be OK. Obviously a pistol is needed for carry. She needs to take a course--NRA offers these and in FL some sheriff's offices provide such training especially for women.

It's horrible to be terrorized by an abusive spouse but an accidental shooting would be even worse.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I never even though about a 10-22 I have one of them too. That is a great I idea. I dont have the spare cash for anything other than a single shot shotgun. ( I just spent some of my spare cash on the kel-tec lol) But I agree 100% with the safty concerns. I have only been shooting for around 4 years and
I am no great shot, but way better than the first few trips when I jerked the trigger allover. And the safe handeling of the firearm is a whole other problem. Maybe me her and my wife could go to a safety course, It wouldnt hurt any of us to do that. If she brings it up again I will talk to her about the 10-22 and the safty course. Thanks for you time

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just thinking about what you wrote. Even if its a few weeks I could come up with the money for a pump shotgun. This is one thing I shouldnt cut coners on. Thaks for having me rethink this. I will still talk to her about how she sould safely hide it and make sure it has a real good lock. Well goodnight

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
AGE said:
A handgun is almost useless to an inexperienced user. On my first trip out I couldn't hit a pieplate at 25 ft. with a .38 special, yet I had a lot of rifle experience. After 55 years, I'm pretty decent now with a good gun. The first time out with a P-38 my wife froze on the trigger emptying the gun downward until she almost shot off her toes. She has never touched a gun since--don't know that I blame her.

My suggestion, if she has no experience shooting, would be a small repeater shotgun--(double, pump or whatever). Single shots are junk in my opinion. Maybe a Ruger 10-22 would be OK. Obviously a pistol is needed for carry. She needs to take a course--NRA offers these and in FL some sheriff's offices provide such training especially for women.

It's horrible to be terrorized by an abusive spouse but an accidental shooting would be even worse.
Double the suggestion for an NRA course designed especially for women. This part is at least as important as the gun itself. Not only will it give her proper instruction, but it could easily save her from an accident that could ruin her life, especially since she has kids but has never kept a gun in her home. Also, she will be able to ask all kinds of questions and get answers from people who understand her situation. She might even meet people there who will act as a defacto support group both in shooting and in life.

191145ACP, you are a good Samaritan, my friend.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help. I do want safety to be #1. I have not shot the kel-tec yet, I just bought it last week. Thanks for bringing up the recoil. I hope to get first hand experance shooting it this weekend. As far as the good Samaritan comment Thanks I apresate ( cant spell at all) it alot. But I think a good Samaritan would care this much about people they dont know also, but I am not there yet. I am going to work on that. Well thanks again for all the info.

·
Super Moderator
16,720 Posts
191145acp said:
Thanks for all the help. I do want safety to be #1. I have not shot the kel-tec yet, I just bought it last week. Thanks for bringing up the recoil. I hope to get first hand experance shooting it this weekend. As far as the good Samaritan comment Thanks I apresate ( cant spell at all) it alot. But I think a good Samaritan would care this much about people they dont know also, but I am not there yet. I am going to work on that. Well thanks again for all the info.
Safety HAS to be #1, period. You are doing a good thing here, so be affirmative about taking a gun safety course at least, and preferably a self-defense course following that. I required both my sons to get a class before they were allowed to handle on their own, and didn't allow unsupervised handling until I had enough time watching them to see that they were practicing safe handling. Guide her along the road to proper handling for both safety and self-defense, and you will have done a bigger service to our shooting sports than you can imagine. Good work young man.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'd like to modify my post just a little bit. Safety and guns should NEVER be separated; therefore, I wasn't entirely correct in saying safety is *at least as important* as the gun. Safety and guns are two sides of the same coin.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If you can scrape up a couple hundred bucks find her a nice used 38 spl K or L frame revo with at least a 4" barrel. (I'm assuming she'll not be carrying it). The recoil is very low and the gun's operation is easy to understand.

Get your wife involved in giving her advice. Woman to woman counts a lot here.

And congrats on your engaged and honest conversation. Over time people can be won over with compassionate logic. Real persuasion involves a lot of back and forth, and allowing a person room to have their own opinion and room to surrender to the truth with dignity.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok this all took place friday. I left the offer on the table. But said I wouldnt bring it up again. I was going to realy lean on her to take a safety coures If she brings it up again. After reading the replies here I will make it part of the deal .If a accident ever happens I didnt help anyone especially if someone gets hurt or killed.

As far as my wife and her having some one on one time that is a great point too. I was trying to figure out how the three of us could go to the range.( my wife and I have a little girl that someone would have to watch) maybe I will send them to the range together. And I will stay home.Thats a scary thought. :bawling: :p What have I created LOL. We are going over her new house this weekend. I will ask my wife to bring this stuff up.

Well anyway if nothing else there is one less gun hater out there. And I will stick to the safty course. Sorry if my spelling if very bad. Most of the time my wife is here to help spell. Maybe I should go for the spelling course.

One more thing my wife has as much time at the range and as I do. Until recently we went almost twice a month for the last 4 years.Everybody can improve. But I have seen her practice safe gun handling and range rules. But who am I kidding me at home babysitting. While they go to the range. I have to think about that one.....Well maybe once.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Never mind that last part My wife didnt like the idea of going buy herself. And I wasnt crazy about it. But I though I would ask her anyway. We will revolve everything around her going to a safety course. Instead of going to the range. Well thanks again for all you input.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think you're on the right track. Safety first, second, etc. and last. I still think a longer gun would be best until she gets some experience. I know, I know a handgun is more controllable in tight quarters and I rely on one myself. At least, it is hard to shoot off your own toes with a long gun without trying. Good luck and take care (lots of it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.