1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to get beat up but here it goes. Not too long ago I decided to buy a 1911 from a named gunsmith. After careful review and talking to Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch I narrowed it down to a Baer TRS or Wilson CQB. About same in price etc, anyway I called Wilsons about delivery and law enforcement pricing and was treated great. I called Baer to get information and talked to the rudest woman in the world. Acted like I was stupid, any way I was not happy so guess what gun I brought ??? SERVICE is important.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have bought several guns direct from Les. Most times I spoke with Brenda. She was always polite and treated me with respect. I'm sure the Wilson is a very good pistol, but I'm confident that you would have loved the Les Baer. My experience with Wilson was just the opposite. They didn't seem to interested in my business or even interested in selling me a gun. Buy the time they did get back to me, I had already placed my order with Les and got a better law enforcement price. I guess everybody has a bad day now and then.

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
71 Posts
A friend of mine and I called about LEO pricing also. Got pretty much the same response, rude.
We still bought Les Baers anyway though.
Just liked the fit and finish better and decided it was worth the fuss.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Thats just one reason i stopped buying any semi-production custom. Would MUCH rather deal with a true 1 man shop, there are plenty out there that do better work than the semi-production houses.

Hope this point isnt taken wrong, as Les and Bill are two guys that are prime examples of hard work and determination etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you communicate with Les personally and tell him about the rudeness? I have always felt that such behavior should be reported to the CEO of any company...no matter how large or small. If the boss man doesn't know about it, then he will think everything is running smoothly. I was in retail business for 12 years before I became a cop. Nothing got results quicker than a customer complaint made directly to the company president or exec. VP. Of course a letter of complaint made directly to the Chief of Police gets immediate results too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know everyone can have a bad day, however if you are in the market to make money customer satisfaction should rank up there at the top. I wanted a TRS for a long time, however from a law enforcement buy Wilsons will bend over backwards for ya.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Nothing out there is 100%. I've bought production custom and have been very happy with my purchase. I've bought some that were not so great. I've delt with a one man shop that turned out an excellent product. Did the same with another one man shop and haven't seen my gun, accessories, or cash since.Roll the dice folks and take your chances....

·
Registered
47 Posts
To the LEO's: What pistol(s) did you purchase and what was the LEO price? I called today and was told I need to send letterhead and then they will give me a LEO price, but I need to know what the LEO price is so I can decide if it's even worth it to talk to my sheriff about a letter. I'm considering the Custom Carry, Thunder Ranch, and SRP models.

If you don't want to discuss it in this forum, send me email at [email protected]

Thanks! SF

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ooops! I didn't even know about a LEO price.
Oh well! I bought my duty TRS from Allan Yoast at regular price. Because he has them in stock, I bought it from his display at a gun show. Not having to wait 2 or 3 months was worth a lot to me...but that's my "instant gratification" at work. Different strokes! The pistol is even better than I hoped: ridiculously accurate, 100% relaible since I took it out of the box (not a single malfunction of any kind) 2000 rounds ago. No regrets at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We were also told to send in a letterhead request for LEO pricing. I have been told it is the same as dealer price but I dont't know if that is true.

My sergeant and I found a dealer in Nashville TN with TRS's in stock and bought from him. Worked out better for me anyway because I like to handle whatever I am about to purchase. Dealer knocked off 100.00 bucks also!

·
Registered
71 Posts
buzz

It was "A Gun Mart" on Charlotte pike in Nashville TN. Telephone is 615-352-3091

They closed for a while and are now under new management/ownership. I don't know if they still stock Les Baers. I have only been back a couple of times since the change and was not real impressed.

There is a really good dealer in Cookeville TN by the name of "Youngs Guns and Archery" also have a web site at youngsguns.com They have a few Les Baers in stock and the owner proudly carries a TRS on his hip! I have only bought two guns from this shop but I drove an hour and forty five minutes each way to get there! Prices are very competitive and service is outstanding!

·
Registered
940 Posts
oneminute,

Thanks for the info. I've been in Gun Mart several times and, honestly, the quality kept dropping. The best gun shop in Nashville used to be on Gallatin Road and was, I believe, Gun Mart II. They went out during my law school days.

Cookeville only about 90 miles from me as well, so I may have to head out and check them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts