1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that holstermaking evolution begun really in the Far West time. I know of Threeperson fame, but who were the other men that with their ideas and work gave a new impulse to holster development?
Thanks, MAXM

·
Registered
112 Posts
Holster making has beeen pretty traditional for many years-the designs are about the same, just made larger to accomodate a larger loads.
Most of the first were pommel holster. They were mad an mounted on saddles. As many as six to a saddle. Those old muskets were pretty heavy.
When sam first introduced his weapon to the texas rangers they would often carry four in pommel holsters as well as on their person. These first six shooters were bout 5 pounds each. main carry on a person was in a sash around the waste, but just about anywhere that would accomodate em. Interesting, but there is legend about men carrying 6/8 guns of different types on their person when they were found dead.
The Mexican craftsmen of the 1840's began crafting, what we now call the modern western rig, and the design has not changed that much, well except to accomodate changing handgun designs.
The slim jim was a california design, the double strap and single strap were of mexican origin.
Was there one person who started this all? If there was he is lost to history.
blessings

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember to have read a long and very good article about a ranger (a friend of Threeperson I think) that designed a modern type of belt holster, but I can't remember its name or the name of the magazine.
Thanhs for your long reply, MAXM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts