1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel much more comfortable when I am carrying, when I have my cell phone with me. My rationale for this is that if I have to use or even show my weapon, I want to be the one making the initial call to 911 to report the incident. I have been a 911 operator for the past 6 years and I feel it is a prudent practice. I am curious as to what others on the forum think about this, especially LEO's or attorneys.

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Tell us a bit more about the Kimber.

What makes it an "Ultra CDP Elite STS"?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to get off topic but briefly: It is a 2002 model year Kimber, the CDP stands for Custom Shop Pistol. The STS refers to it being a stainless steel model. It is a three inch barrel .45 ACP.

M

·
0 Posts
According to Kimber's website CDP is Custom Defense Package.

I was more concerned what the "Elite STS" stood for.

Are you saying that the entire pistol is stainless, because normally the CDP is built on an aluminum frame and already comes with a stainless steel slide and a steel match grade barrel.

Just curious cuz I really like the CDP series.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"CDP" I meant it is built in the custom shop and it is an aluminum frame

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
I'm having an awful mental image of the "tactical streaker"...

Add some pants and a shirt, Dubb! :eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd have to second dubb - 1's list...although I might not carry everything he has on it at all times!

I never leave the house without at least 2 handguns, extra ammo for them (magazines) (all this with appropriate proper holsters/mag holders), knives (2) and my cell phone. Depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going I may also carry the multi tool, cuffs, etc...)

Carrying the cell phone (especially for your reasoning) is a great idea!

Just a tip...when you do call the police identify yourself fully (complee clothing description etc...) and acknowledge that you are armed...when challenged (or as you hear them arriving would be better - that way you can set it down!) DO NOT TURN toward the officers while holding the weapon!!! Drop it immediately and comply fully....everything can be straightened out once the situation is secured. (If you've actually used the weapon you will want to speak with an attorney before answering any specific, non public safety interest questions (public safety questions being are there still perps out there, how many, are they armed, with what, descriptions, stuff like that) Don't answer specific questions about the incident (# of shots fired, distances, etc...) until you've allowed at least 24 hours (preferably 48) to elapse (keep a journal for when you wake up w/ the dreams...record your recollections and share them with your attorney only (initially) )

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think you're on the right track. Personally, I prefer a multi-tool to a knife, and always take my Surefire. I recall a magazine article on carry gear, and had to laugh at all the stuff the author considered "essential" - do you really need pepper spray AND an ASP baton? (this is on top of two guns, two reloads, knife, flashlight, and phone) Call me a minimalist, but I refuse to carry more junk now than when I was a cop...:D

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
I carry a handgun, extra magazine, wallet, cellphone, and pepper spray.

My belt and pocket setup allows me to easily conceal this equipment and its very hassle free. I feel well prepared, can easily access any one thing without making other equipment visible and have full mobility.

In the future I may go to a handgun, 2 extra magazines, wallet, cellphone, pocket carried BUG, knife, and pepper spray but I dont see me escalating my preparedness beyond that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A good flashlight (like a surefire E2) is indispensible. You can't function effectively with a firearm in the dark without light.

I carry a handgun and spare mag, a strong, sharp folder, an ASP key defender (OC/kubotan), surefire, and a cellphone. Of course with the good belt and holster as well as wallet, key, and clothes ;) .

I live in an urban environment and frequently use tools from the force continuum. In order of most common, they are: vocal commands, light, OC spray and HTH. (I've never used my knife or gun to resolve any conflict.) Several times a day I need to verbally remind someone of my personal space and lack of social obligation. I've flashed persistently invasive people several times with good results. I've sprayed two people. I've gone hands on in a more mellow sense (knocking someone down or pushing them away) a coupla times and been in real knocking-heads kinda fights a coupla times.

I've found it important to have the other tools to support the fact that I carry a gun. They help keep me from having to use it.

:cool:

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
sanchezero said:
I carry a handgun and spare mag, a strong, sharp folder, an ASP key defender (OC/kubotan), surefire, and a cellphone. Of course with the good belt and holster as well as wallet, key, and clothes ;) .
What about shoes? Wear shoes?

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
147 Posts
No,actually I don't wear shoes.

I like to be able to use my long monkey-like toes to pick up cigarette butts and spare change.

:p

·
Registered
513 Posts
You all forgot one thing that Celtic touched on: YOUR DEFENSE LAWYERS PHONE NUMBER! Once the situation is secure, if you have used force (particularly deadly force), talk only to your lawyer - and then only in private.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK, I've seen some pretty impressive sets of kit listed here, which leads me to the question: where the heck to you folks carry all this stuff? Since I don't habitually walk around wearing a CCW vest (my usual concealment garment is an untucked button down shirt, flannel in winter, cotton in summer) space is at a premium, and some of those loads I wonder if they would fit in my Army web gear.

Here's my desired load: (and yes, I'm fully clothed and wearing shoes)
Sig 229 w/holster
Extra mag
Cell phone (attorney on speed dial)
Leatherman
Flashlight
Wallet
Keys
Assorted change

My solution: (still in the works, since at this point I can't legally carry in SC)
Sig in holster on belt, 4 o'clock carry
Extra mag and leather man in one of these (http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2491&d=1) on belt, 8 o'clock
Cell and light, back right pocket
Wallet, back left (don't want to flash the gun every time I have to pay for something)
Keys, front right
Change, front left

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
A friend with the New York Fire Dept. was tasked to interview survivors from the Trade Center as well as rescue personnel to find out what tools, items, etc. were found to be useful, comforting, waste of space, how used, and so on. The top three:
#1 light source
#2 knife or utility tool
#3 cell phone (until the towers went down because the repeaters were on top)

Think about it! You can carry those three items in 95% of everywhere you go and 2/3 everywhere. As gun folks, we all like the idea of having our blaster with us but thankfully, most of us will never truly need it. If a concession must be made due to space, weight or whatever, the gun is probably the least likely item you will need. Based on the odds, those who carry the above 3 items along with some good OC and a good mindset are probably good to go. On the other hand, it's been roughly 20 years since I left the house with having at least one pistol on me and for the record, it's normally the worlds finest close quarter combat weapon, a 1911.

·
Registered
230 Posts
my list

Mine is somewhat simple,in order of importance

1)Can O copenhagen
2)CS 50/50 lg tanto
3)wallet/keys
4)cheap cell phone that im getting rid of

I have a medium BOB in back of truck,and i keep a small BOB in a belt pouch that is people friendly in my console,easy to grab that when/if needed.also i try to keep vehicle in good maint.,and at least half a tank of fuel.

One day soon,Colt Gov. .45,and coming soon,SW 625,i will flip a coin on which one rides with me.

·
Banned
967 Posts
Well, some great gear carried by people here, though I've lightened up over the years [ or consolidated might be the better word ].

glock 30 with spare mag
Strider SnG
LaGriffe necker
Surefire E2 with TID cookie cutter on belt
Victorinox multi-tool
Victorinox hiker in the pants pocket

I may swap out the glock for the S+W 640-1 .357 and a speed loader

I may add another knife like a kerambit or
tactical folder for the off side.

Everyday gear, it doesn't weigh me down or get in the way, so it's an always setup.

On days I may need more for some reason, I'll insert the CS Laredo bowie in the Southern Comfort rig IWB and bring both guns.

With both guns, no speed loader for the 640-1 and the off hand gets to use it, tucked with hip grip into the left front waistband.

Brownie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts