1911Forum banner

A couple of questions.

1174 6
I had earlier asked a question regarding a FTF on my new Kimber Ultra Carry in .40 S&W. At the time I thought the round might be catching the bottom of the feed ramp. After looking closer (duh! A newbie to 1911 autos after being attached to nothing but wheel guns most of the time before) I realized that the feed was above that to begin with, so it couldn't be that. (The preening on the bottom of the feed ramp was being caused by the front lip of the magazine hitting it. A little honing took care of that problem)

On round number 225 (or thereabouts) I had my second FTF. Was paying closer attention this time. The round had a semi-circular indention just inside the edge of the flat nose, and that matched the top edge of the chamber.

Both FTF's were the last round out of the magazine. I have three magazines and they are Kimber stock. I wasn't paying close enough attention to tell if it was the same mag on both FTF. Am I on the right track thinking that the problem is probably magazine related, and that on one of those mags the last round is being sometimes being fed out at too steep of an angle?

Second question. The sights are the stock, fixed, black sights. The gun is consistently grouping about two inches to the left of center at 10 yards. I have backed out the set screw on the rear sight and tried to drift it a little bit, with no luck. I have also, in desperation, tried to drift the front sight the little bit needed. Neither one will budge. Are those sights lock-tighted in? What do I do to get them to move?

Also, I don't know what took me so long to learn about the 1911. Looking forward to the time I can get a full size in .45, and then another one, and then... Oh, well; you know...

Thanks for any help.

DQ
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
DQ,
First the sight problem (easiest to talk about). You need a "drift tool" to move either sight. They are pressed in their dovetails and won't freely move even with the set screw loosened. It's kind of like a steering wheel puller, in reverse.

Now, what type of ammo are you using? From your comment "...edge of the flat nose", I assume you're using semi-wadcutters. While most pistols will shoot these just fine, I've seen numerous 1911's that would not. Everything is so confined it just doesn't have room to manuever as it's going from magazine to chamber. What about ball ammo or hollowpoints? Does it do the same with them? If not, you probably don't have a problem, just the ammo won't work in it. If they also do this, you could have a magazine problem. How old are the mags? Have you tried new ones, or different makes? I've replaced all my Kimber (Chip McCormick) mags with Wilsons and couldn't be happier. All my FTF's stopped when I did that.

Hope this helps.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Danny45:
DQ,
>First the sight problem (easiest to talk >about). You need a "drift tool" to move >either sight. They are pressed in their >dovetails and won't freely move even with >the set screw loosened. It's kind of like a >steering wheel puller, in reverse.

You know, I've been looking for the sight drifter you mention, but haven't come across them. Need it for my rifles also. I have been using a padded brass drift tool, with the slide in a padded vise. Those things are really in there.

Any idea where I might look?

>Now, what type of ammo are you using? From >your comment "...edge of the flat nose", I >assume you're using semi-wadcutters. While >most pistols will shoot these just fine, >I've seen numerous 1911's that would not. >Everything is so confined it just doesn't >have room to manuever as it's going from >magazine to chamber. What about ball ammo >or hollowpoints? Does it do the same with >them? If not, you probably don't have a >problem, just the ammo won't work in it. If >they also do this, you could have a >magazine problem. How old are the mags? >Have you tried new ones, or different >makes? I've replaced all my Kimber (Chip >McCormick) mags with Wilsons and couldn't >be happier. All my FTF's stopped when I did >that.

I've tried various ammo. This is a .40 S&W, so the hardball ammo I have found is all a FMJ truncated cone. I haven't been able to find any commercial FMJ round-nose in .40 S&W, and was told in a different thread that it didn't exist. The only ammo I have not had a problem with is the Winchester jacketed hollow points (SXT), but that may be only because I haven't put enough of that through yet.

The three mags I have are all Kimber stock, and are about three months old. As I mentioned, both FTF have been the last round out of the mag, and has caught the flat of the bullet on the upper, outer edge of the chamber. I have been looking for mags by other makers, but haven't found anything in the 7-round .40 S&W to fit my Ultra Carry. Anybody know where to look?

Thanks for the input.

DQ

· Registered
165 Posts
DQ,
Damn, I'd forgot about 40's having that Truncated Cone. They are almost as bad as Semi-Wadcutters. I don't know what to tell you on that. I'd be afraid of modifying the top of the barrel/chamber to let those feed better. You may be stuck shooting nothing but hollowpoints thru it. Or lead! If you do, make sure the lead bullets are HARD!! The softer lead bullets are a b***h to clean out!!
There are several shooter supply houses that should have that sight drifting tool. But I'll be darned if I can remember their names!! Precision Shooting? Dillon? Contact a local gunsmith, he should be able to get you one. You might check Wilson Combat for the magazines. They work in my .45 but I don't know if they make those for .40 or not.

If all else fails, send the whole package back to Kimber explaining the problem. They'll either fix the gun, or change out the magazines.

Good luck to ya!

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

[This message has been edited by Danny45 (edited 11-27-2001).]

· Premium Member
6,163 Posts
I have always heard the sights are hard to move.I shoot with a guy who had the same problem,his smith couldn't budge the sights. He sent it to Kimber, told them how far off it was , and they adjusted them and had them back to him in 4days.The gun shoots POA now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.