1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Wilson Combat EDC X9L, Kimber Custom II gfo
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both performed flawlessly. I am having a hard time getting used to the U-notch rear combat sight on the EDC X9L, seems like I am hitting the target but am all over the place. I picked up the Kimber and nailed the bullseye from the first shot forward (it has standard green fiber front with lined blade rear with 2 white dots.)

So...
When I look through the u-notch rear on the EDC X9L, that front fiber sight looks like it is swimming in that u-notch. I have astigmatism in both of my eyes, so when I try to line up the top of the u-notch with that front sight it just all gets blurry. I don't have this problem with normal square sights. Any advise on getting used to the u-notch???

Target was about 50 feet away. Also, I am aware that the u-notch battle sight is meant for fast target acquisition in a self defense / combat setting and not as much for accuracy.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Sounds like your Kimber did pretty well , that Wilson is around 3 times as much money right ? Just saying .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your Kimber did pretty well , that Wilson is around 3 times as much money right ? Just saying .
The fit/finish of the Wilson is far better, and the trigger is hands down superior. The trigger pull on the Wilson is very crisp and clean, and the reset is very short (feels like the reset is at least half of the Kimber). I've heard that the "battle sight" isn't for everyone, so once I get that figured out I'm sure the Wilson will be quite the contender.

·
Super Moderator
15,980 Posts
Lots of folks coming from target sights have an adjustment period to learn how to use U-notch battle sights, practice with it. The U-notch battle sights, as you noted above, are for rapid acquisition in combat circumstances, not for precision shooting. Plenty of precision is possible with them, but it takes some learning if not used to them. Some folks go to a smaller fiber optic rod from Dawson Precision, some like them as they are. Everyone's eyes are different, so what works for me may not be as ideal for you, that's why there are the choices we have these days. Enjoy that X9L.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
When I got my first Wilson I had quite a little transition period getting used to the U notch rear sight. I was very much used to a tight rear sight that gave very little light on either side of the front blade. For bullseye shooting, it still is not my first choice. For defensive shooting/drills, it is by far my favorite rear sight and is on all my carry guns. Still very much capable of getting hits in the 4” A zone head of an IDPA target at 15 yards. Some do switch for precision shots to the tops of the front and rear, I keep my conventional hold and have better results with that but like you I have astigmatism.

Give it some time for your eyes to adjust to the U notch. In my view, there is no faster rear sight on the market,

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am happy for you that both guns arer performing well. You will get used to the sights, or worst case change out the rear to suit you. Congratulations!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Wilson Combat customer service to ask their opinion. The guy I spoke with said he also had trouble adjusting to the u-notch. He switched it out for the square notch. I will give it some more range time and see if I can adjust to it. If not, I'll just order the square rear sight.

·
Super Moderator
15,980 Posts
I called Wilson Combat customer service to ask their opinion. The guy I spoke with said he also had trouble adjusting to the u-notch. He switched it out for the square notch. I will give it some more range time and see if I can adjust to it. If not, I'll just order the square rear sight.
Sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
634 Posts
They arent made for target shooting, you can with them but it is not their strong point. They are for rapid engagement. Were you doing slow fire or rapid engagement? Each tool has a purpose, a 2000 yd precision bolt rifle is not the best weapon of choice for cqb, just as u notch sights arent the best for precision. You can shoot rapid and precise with target pistol sights, but I cant be as quick as I can with my u notch, or as accurate with rapid shots.

Friend of mine told me once, “You know whats better than one lung of an attacker bleeding with two hole? A hole in each lung.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They arent made for target shooting, you can with them but it is not their strong point. They are for rapid engagement. Were you doing slow fire or rapid engagement? Each tool has a purpose, a 2000 yd precision bolt rifle is not the best weapon of choice for cqb, just as u notch sights arent the best for precision. You can shoot rapid and precise with target pistol sights, but I cant be as quick as I can with my u notch, or as accurate with rapid shots.

Friend of mine told me once, “You know whats better than one lung of an attacker bleeding with two hole? A hole in each lung.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was just normal range shooting at an outdoor range. Shooting at a target at about 15 yards and then shooting at 8" gongs at the same distance. My problem is my eyes. I have 20-20 vision, but they do not focus very fast, so the rear blade almost disappears when I am trying to aim. I know that I need more practice and need to do more drills with both eyes open. Do you have the fiber optic front sight, gold bead, or the tritium? I am contemplating getting the tritium front sight with the orange ring.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have three white dot sights on all my pistols as it is my preferred choice. I've been thinking about getting an EDC X9 or Experior. According to the Wilson website, the Wilson EDC X9 uses a Novac Low mount rear sight dovetail. So the very first thing I'll do is change out the rear sight for a Kensight adjustable two white dot sight. For the front sight, I'll use the Wilson tritium sight and paint over the end of the tube. Whola! Three white dot sights with an adjustable rear on an EDC X9.

As far as getting used to the U notch, not thanks. For me, the gun serves me, not the other way around. So I modify the gun to what works for me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This was just normal range shooting at an outdoor range. Shooting at a target at about 15 yards and then shooting at 8" gongs at the same distance. My problem is my eyes. I have 20-20 vision, but they do not focus very fast, so the rear blade almost disappears when I am trying to aim. I know that I need more practice and need to do more drills with both eyes open. Do you have the fiber optic front sight, gold bead, or the tritium? I am contemplating getting the tritium front sight with the orange ring.
I have night sights on both 1911s. One 3 green, Wilson has front yellow rear green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,980 Posts
I just ordered the front tritium/orange ring.
That Ameriglo sight that Wilson has is an amazing sight; I have it on my Wilson-Beretta Centurion, and it really pops.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
I just ordered the front tritium/orange ring.
I think you will like it. Big, bright and very fast. Took me a while to warm up to it but I think it is a very good option. Still a blued gun and gold bead fan but I have the Ameriglo on a 5” CQB and also on my SFX9 and I really like it on the little gun. Found that in some dim light shooting that I have done that both the tritium and orange ring were visible at the same time. Lighting conditions have to be just right but really surprised me when I saw both.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Toy Finger Camera accessory Wood Gas

Just got the ameriglo front sight installed. Just by looking at my sight picture I feel like this will be a huge improvement over the green fiber optic for me. Hopefully I will get to hit the range this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts