1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Good grief, the pantographed markings couldn't possibly be any more obvious. Look at all of that chattering inside the letters.

BTW I think the reason why the frontstrap looks funny is because the slide and frame surfaces have likely been shaved a considerable amount. Look at how tall the slide flats are, for example. If you held the pistol in your hand you'd probably immediately notice how thin it is.

Give him credit for one thing, however. It's the first time I've seen him use the word restored finish instead of original.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Regarding the comment about the condition of the lettering. I believe what we are seeing that looks crosshatched or broken etc. is a fault of digital imagery. I have experience similar lines or cross lines along straight edges myself. I don't know the technical term for it, but it is common in digital photography. One of my experiences was photographing slides from a slide projector screen that had a ribbed texture. My digtal image had taken the ribbed texture of the screen and bent it around to where it looked like ripples in a pond. My computer photo editing has an option to "blur" and when I did that the ripples disappeared. Another photo example was a straight edge of a pistol frame that had similar lines or crosshatching across it. So, I would guess that the restored lettering on this gun is nice and straight and is not really as it looks in the photo.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think you're right about that. Dave or whomever does his work is far too skilled to screw it up that badly. However, maybe they did and this kind of his version as a scratch and dent sale. Otherwise, we might be seeing it represented as "original" instead of restored.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
OB'98 said:
Regarding the comment about the condition of the lettering. I believe what we are seeing that looks crosshatched or broken etc. is a fault of digital imagery.
If that is so, then why doesn't the rest of the pistol look like that? Only the insides of the markings are like it.

BTW Sgt. Art, congratulations on 1,000 posts. Only 911 more and you'll be a senior member. :) Scott is almost there.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Additionaly.... in 1914 contract Agentine's shipped to the Navy were marked 'Marina Argentina' weren't they ? 'Republica Argentina Armada Nacional' wasn't used until 1927 contract shipments.

·
Registered
346 Posts
looks like corrosion

look around the slide stop hole and othe places they could not reach to polish like in the lettering hehehehe 98 % of the restored colt finnish

·
Registered
764 Posts
dsk said:
If that is so, then why doesn't the rest of the pistol look like that? Only the insides of the markings are like it.
I have tried to enlarge the image. If I have been successful you will see along the straight edge of the slide and the frame are getting the same distortion. We could always email DB and ask for a close up photo of the lettering?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here's my enlargement and the printing doesn't look quite as bad as the other pics. However, the nomenclature on the slide is wrong according to Clawson. It should be just MARINA ARGENTINA (see pg 143 & 144 of the Government Models ) This was a small order for the Argie Navy only 321 pistols in the range C6201 - C6300 for one battleship and C6301 - C6400 for another one that was under construction and the rest (121 pistols C11501 - C11621) were shipped but there is no record to where (Ibid). Clawson states they were roll marked and not engraved or pantographed.

This kind of confirms my belief that whoever did the work, screwed up and rather "age it" and then pass it off as original, they decided to call it a resto job. This of course begs the question, is the serial number accurate? If the pistol were real and not "resto'd" it would have some collector value as this was a small contract an not many are known to exist. Clawson's book has a picture of C6278 for comparison.

Here's Dave's piece of work:

I don't know that I'd call it a train wreck; it's a nice pistol, it's just not what he says it is and at over $900, it's passed it's true value of $700+/-.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Colt's didn't do dot matrix lettering in 1914?!
that was my first thought as well...

to be honest i didnt see what was wrong the first couple of times i looked at it...

i believe the jagged lines from the digital imagery is called raster graphics. its comes from the pixels...

d

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
OB'98 said:
I have tried to enlarge the image. If I have been successful you will see along the straight edge of the slide and the frame are getting the same distortion. We could always email DB and ask for a close up photo of the lettering?
I'm still skeptical, but lacking more evidence of my own I'll take your word that that's what we're seeing. If I was a buyer I wouldn't be convinced without seeing better photos.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If Wilson the Winchester "expert" did time, how is DB still walking around free?

I e-mailed him once looking for a beater GI. He said "beaters are hard to get". This is before I joined here and found out he was running a restoration shop and fraud factory in his basement. I'd love to know who he's paying off at ATF to get around the falsification of manufacturer's markings and serial numbers.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
He gets away with it because he'll refund your money without questions. Most people are happy with that. I think the point here, is this is the danger of restored pistols. Almost anything can be done. I wouldn't pay anymore than shooter grade for it because that's all it is.

My question:

Shouldn't it have "MARINA ARGENTINA" on the slide? I think the other roll markings came later, after this contract.

Here's what Dave has to say:

No-------There are numerous variations of the Argentine Navy Colts. produced from 1914 to 1945. I've seen about 5 different slide markings.
David

That's partly true and I've seen quite a few exceptions to the "rules" there's a thread here about awhile back.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Note also that while the smokeless powder triangle stamp survived, the assembler stamp at the bottom of the trigger guard vanished.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At the price the seller paid, he got a sharp looking pistol with nice bluing ad a nice look. Nothing original about it, but hey we can all dream.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
At the price the seller paid, he got a sharp looking pistol...
That's assuming the serial number was never altered. If it was, I wouldn't care how "sharp" it looks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts