1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Political humor aside, I would like to get some feedback on a Hornady LNL AP.

I just purchased a LNL AP to replace my old Hordany Pro-7, and let my trusty old Rock Chucker take some time off. I am very happy with the LNL AP so far, and with some very minor adjustment to the indexing, it is running like a champ.

My problem/question is with dies. For my rifles I have always use Redding dies, with a few RCBS here and there. For handguns however, I have mostly RCBS, a few Lee and only one old Hornady die set (old enough to be labeled Pacific). I plan on loading only handgun rounds on the progressive, with the exception of some high volume 223 from time to time.

My problem is with adjustment of the dies in the LNL, while most of the RCBS can be properly adjusted, just barely. You basically have to thread them down so far, you have the lock ring just barley making contact with the threads. Lee dies on the other hand are even shorter, and quickly seem to run out of 'adjustment", a good example is a 357 die set up to load 38 special. The reason for this problem is how thick the frame is, as well as the added height for the LNL bushing. From what I can see the new Hornady dies seem to be much taller than any of these dies.

Of course the easy, albeit more expensive solution is to replace all of my handgun dies with the new Hordany dies, but I hate to have to do that. Have others run into this problem, and have you had to go to Hordany dies to get around this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

BTW, as for the LNL bushing system, while I do not think it is bad, I also do not believe it is a reinvention of the wheel, kind of an answer to a non existent problem. My issue with it is that the turn to unlock the bushing is TOO short! I would prefer that it take about twice the distance to turn the bushing to release it from the press frame IMO. Having said that, I really like the press (Here it comes, the blue brigade! :biglaugh:).

·
Registered
841 Posts
A lot of people will use the lock nut on the bottom of the die instead of the top, assuming their is enough clearance.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
(Here it comes, the blue brigade! :biglaugh:).
Brace yourself! I've seen a few posts recently from people saying they ditched their Hornady for a Dillon. :eek:

I'm not a past/current/future member of the blue brigade, but if I just bought a LNL press and found out I might have to replace some or all of my dies, I probably would be kicking myself for not being aware of this issue upfront. An SDB or 550/650 is probably sounding pretty good right about now, huh? :biglaugh:

Seriously though, hopefully the lock nut on the bottom works out.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lock nut on the bottom, interesting...:scratch:

Okay Kevin, go ahead, rub it in! :bawling:

Here is a little more accurate description of what works and what does not.

Any brand of expander or seater dies do not seem to be a problem at all, but then again these dies do not have to touch the shell plate to begin with.

Taper crimp dies (Lee) also work fine, although some have reported trouble with these interfering with the ejector wire.

The only die there is a real issue with is the sizer die, and then some brands worse than others. RCBS dies will work, though just barely, you do have a solid lock with the lock ring, but not by much. The Lee sizer dies however are the ones that are just too short.

While this is not a deal breaker, I would have liked to have known this first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts