1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had an odd malfunction with my Gold Cup; the last round of the magazine was loose on top of the magazine, had not started in to the chamber, and was not held by the extractor. Very easy to clear, and the round chambered fine the second try.

Any suggestions as to possible cause?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bob C.,
Sounds like your magazine may be the source of your problem. You didn't mention if it only occured once or several times while shooting. If you had more failures following, I would try a different mag and see if the problem goes away.

------------------

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll keep those magazines separate for a while and see.

I fired a total of 40 or so rounds, with three magazines, all loaded twice, all Wilson's, and it only happened once. Another odd thing was that when I inserted the first mag, the slide went forward. I thought I may have hit the release without being aware of it, but maybe not. I have a new slide stop, which I'll put in and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bob C,
I would also check the followers on your mags. As they become worn from lots of use, they can cause the slide stop to be deactivated. The most common complaint with worn followers is that they do not allow the slide to stay open following the last round fired. I would suspect the slide stop only after you have ruled out the mags. Hope this helps.

------------------

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
What ammo are you using? Some bullet nose ogives are fat - and drag on the slide stop for problem #2. This is usually considered an ammo problem - but sometimes the tolerances stack up between slide stop and magazine location and careful work with a file (by someone who understands how) can allow the use of non-standard/large ogive rounds. A good test would be to try different ammo - and a different slide stop - and evaluate.

As for not controlling the round upon feeding, always check extractor tension (after cleaning out extractor tunnel) and compare the release point/feed lip width of mags that work with those that don't. Sometimes feed lips spread - loss of temper, I guess. If you need a new extractor - get the Cylinder and Slide Spring Steel unit - it is the only correct extractor on the market, materials wise.

And finally, are you using reloads with burred up case rims? This can cause mysterious problems with feeding. I have brass that you can't even read the headstamp on any more ....

Let us know what you find. Warmly, Col. Colt

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ammo was my first testing of reloads with some different 200 SWC's, so I'm guessing that's at least part of the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts