1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys !

I think I've finally made up my mind on a blued NRM 5". A couple questions:

Are the Series 80 pistols pretty reliable as compared to the 70 series? I am leary of all the extra parts and pieces in the 80. Also, is parts availability pretty decent on the 80 serie?

Second - Is the Blued finish a dark matte? I would really like a parkerized finish but I know Colt does not offer one. Does anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons of each?

Lastly - Can someone point me in the direction of the post comparing the SA Mil Spec and the Colt NRM? I can't seem to find it. I am still having a little trouble deciding between the two & wanted to get some pros and cons of each.

I know these are newbie questions, but I could really use a little guidance.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Are the Series 80 pistols pretty reliable as compared to the 70 series?
I have been using an S80 for twenty years without a failure.
Also, is parts availability pretty decent on the 80 serie?
You will never need to change them but if you do they are available.
Second - Is the Blued finish a dark matte?
I would call it brushed.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
What Bluetooth said, and a few more things to consider.

Colt metallurgy is generally considered the best in production 1911s. Forged in USA frame, slide, barrel AND slide stop. Most other parts machined, minimum MIM parts. Barstock Hammer and Extractor. Stainless Steel barrel with the excellent "Dimple Throating" - a Colt exclusive that works very well. My XSE feeds empties!

Feel and contours - the Colt is the original, and most like the feel and balance better. Subjective, though.
Better resale with the Colt, if it matters.

Series 80 lockwork works fine, and has for twenty years and, by now in 100s of thousands of Colt and ParaOrd handguns. Not an issue. Do look at your parts diagram/pay attention as you take it apart to make sure you reassemble the two levers correctly - it is easy and natural after 3-4 times. Only real caution with the Series 80 is to not mess with a trigger overtravel screw (found on "Match" triggers) unless you understand it's effect on the firing pin lock. To be fair, if you set it too tight, you can keep a Series 70 from firing, too!

Colt is the only maker that is actually tolerancing the 1911 correctly - the original way that gives accuracy with great reliability - no real break-in period required. (Good barrel fit with slight slide play is the correct and original design intent.) It will run dirty or dry if it must, and still deliver very good accuracy.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True than Ever - 150 years later!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Col. Colt,

You are a true gentleman and scholar. I enjoy your comments tremendously. You always contribute to every thread that you comment in. I appreciate your vast knowledge and willingness to share with us. Well done.

Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Great info!

My mind has been made up - Colt NRM it is! The Remington 870 Police will love to have some company.

RoadRunner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts