1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a close friend, actually he is most likely to be my brother in-law in the near future. He would like to purchase a 1911 pistol but is on a budget. Now I am new to the 1911, I just purchased a Kimber Custom Defender II last week. My question is would a Daly be his best bet. They seem to me to be the most good looking and feature packed 1911 in his price range (About $500-550). Compared to my Kimber, what kind of reliablity and accuracy could he expect from a Chuck.
Thanks to all in advance for your guidance.
Ed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
futureleo,
Check out the archives of the Charles Daly section of this forum. Many Charles Daly owners on this forum, including myself, have nothing but praise for these exceptional pistols with such an outstanding value. Anything positive I would say here is just something that has been repeated time after time.

There is only one negative that I have regarding the Charles Daly line of 1911's. They are considered by many to be an "entry-level" 1911. The only rebuttal I have to this hasty opinion is to actually shoot a Charles Daly. You won't believe the looks on their faces.

It's funny to see people scratching their heads wondering why they spent so much on a "big name" pistol when the moderately priced Daly can at least match or out-perform theirs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
futureleo

Don't know what they're selling for in Jersey, but around here, the Daly's are selling from $360 - $420.

Good luck

JSP

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a Charles Daly last august and paid $350 or $360 for it. I havent kept exact count of the rounds that it has shot. I would think at least a couple thousand rounds based on the amount of brass I have packed home from the range. It has been a real good pistol so far.

I have a one minor problem. It was not ejecting the empty brass properly and would catch the rim of the empty while it was trying to chamber the next round. I read some troubleshooting tips on this forum and had a friend look at it also. We both agreed it might be the extractor. I order one from Brownells and put it in myself. I think it cost around $12 for the new extractor. I haven't had any problems since.

I have shot a lot of American Eagle 230 FMJ thru it as well as a some Federal Classic 185 JHP. I have also shot some 230 LRN that I reloaded. It has been very accurate with all of these. I even tried some 230 FMJ that was supposed to be WW2 surplus. They shot fine in it but didn't seem to be as accurate as the other ammo was.

I am still using the two magazines that came with it as well as some GI surplus and some Colt mags. They all work fine in it after I put the new extractor in.

I would recomend one of these pistols. It is not my first 1911. I have owned several others and currently have 2 Colts and Kimber. As far as I can tell from shooting it and watching my friends shoot it, it is as accurate as my others 1911s.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a Charles Daly last august and paid $350 or $360 for it. I havent kept exact count of the rounds that it has shot. I would think at least a couple thousand rounds based on the amount of brass I have packed home from the range. It has been a real good pistol so far.

I have a one minor problem. It was not ejecting the empty brass properly and would catch the rim of the empty while it was trying to chamber the next round. I read some troubleshooting tips on this forum and had a friend look at it also. We both agreed it might be the extractor. I order one from Brownells and put it in myself. I think it cost around $12 for the new extractor. I haven't had any problems since.

I have shot a lot of American Eagle 230 FMJ thru it as well as a some Federal Classic 185 JHP. I have also shot some 230 LRN that I reloaded. It has been very accurate with all of these. I even tried some 230 FMJ that was supposed to be WW2 surplus. They shot fine in it but didn't seem to be as accurate as the other ammo was.

I am still using the two magazines that came with it as well as some GI surplus and some Colt mags. They all work fine in it after I put the new extractor in.

I would recomend one of these pistols. It is not my first 1911. I have owned several others and currently have 2 Colts and Kimber. As far as I can tell from shooting it and watching my friends shoot it, it is as accurate as my others 1911s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the information. I think he will be glad to hear that he can get a quality 1911 for a great price. I've shown him the CD web site and he seems most interested in the Empire FS. We have located three dealers within 40 or so miles. I'll post a report as soon as he gets it (If he wants to marry my sister, he had better make nice with me and let me try it out). Thanks again for the info
Ed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check the site www.Youngguns.com for a base price.

------------------
Jerk

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

·
Registered
53 Posts
For your info. Youngsguns.com has CD for $332.

Figure $25 for shipping and $20 for FFL, thats $377 out the door, No sales Tax.

------------------
Jerk

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts