1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 12 yr old son down to Elk Creek Sporting Clays in Owenton Ky yesterday. He's played with a shotgun, mainly at high 1 and Lo 7 on a skeet field....those being the 2 easiest stations. But he's never shot a full round of skeet, or trap. The bulk of his shotgunning time is killin turkeys. But we were in need of an end of summer trip. He goes back to school Monday and I wanted to do something different.

Elk Creek has 3 ranges. Beginner, intermediate and advanced. Since he's never done it...and honestly...I suck at clays...I shot it 1 time about 20 yrs ago. So......we did the beginner range. 12 stations...100 shots total. Beautiful terrain...mostly woods....a couple of shots in a field. Most stations had 4 or 5 true or report pairs. We had an awesome time. He was shooting his youth model Benelli Montifeltro in 20 ga, and I was shooting a 12 ga Benelli SS. At the end of the day, He had smoked 60 out of 100, and I hit 80. Not bad for a couple of first timers on Sporting Clays.

Elk Creek is an awesome place. Golf carts to haul your stuff around the course, and there is an fantastic winery/restaurant right next door for a great meal.

Highly recommended to those looking for a nice place to shoot clays.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I always remember my dad taking me to shoot clays when I was 11 - I think your kid won't quickly forget it either :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts