1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often we try to save some money by purchasing pistols from the cheapest dealer. However, most discount dealers, even though they are a Kimber master dealer, will not stand behind the product.

One dealer I have used makes you sign a release form stating that the purchase is "as is" and the dealer offer's zip warranty and zip help.

Here's some suggestions to consider before plopping $800 on the counter:

(1) Remember the real cost of a firearm is in feeding it, not the original purchase price.

(2) If you buy something you are not familiar with, you are better off paying more to buy a product, such as a Wilson, where the manufacturer will stand behind the product.

(3) If you are going to buy the pistol from the show case, take someone knowledgable along with you to inspect the pistol before the purchase. If you ever, EVER, get a dealer who gives you crap about disassembling and inspection, turn around and walk out the door.

(4) Never send something back to NewYorkSucks until you've spoken at length with a rep and preferably had someone knowledgeable weigh in on the problem. Make sure you work out the issue of shipping cost [b}before[/b] you ship. There is nothing wrong with demanding that they pay it if is their problem on a new pistol and you paying if there is nothing wrong or you screwed it up.

(5) Lastly, we all desire perfection from our purchases, but we rarely get it. Sometimes it is better to fix it ourselves and move on - learning from the experience. We can only fight so many wars and they are not hard to work on.

Listening to the problems with Kimbers and Kimber customer service it is apparent to me that (a) moving Kimber's operation to NewYork was a huge mistake and (b) many people should have bought Rock River, Wilson, Les Baer or Dan Wesson.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I Have NO problem with KIMBER OR their customer service. I own five of them. Two went back to KIMBER to be fixed BECAUSE I screwed them up. They were both fixed and sent back to me in about three day's. AND I'LL bet you money I'll own another KIMBER before I own a WILSON. YES I can afford a WILSON.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have 2 Wilson's and 2 Kimber's. Nothing has happened to my Wilson's yet. I have had one problem with one of my Kimber's and sent it back to New York and had it returned to CA in 3 days. Because of that great service I would not hesitate to buy another Kimber.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
(1) Dan Wesson makes the Pointman Minor. Good luck with that.

(2) Every 1911 pistol has areas where problems can and will arise. Anyone who spends more than $500 on a gun should know this. I'd rather have to tune my Kimber extractor (or whatever) than do ANYTHING to a $1500 pistol. Honestly, I can't imagine spending over $1000 on a pistol unless it's a Sig 210 or an olympics-quality target pistol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
While I agree with this in principle - $800 is still $800. When you get right down to it, a 1911 handgun is not a terribly sophisticated piece of machinery. You can buy a brand new 6 hp outboard motor containing 10x the # of parts, with 20x the # of mechanical interactions for the same price.

Considering the inherent danger and power in a semi-automatic handgun, one would think that for that kind of money, customers (experienced or no) could expect a pretty strong level of reliability and service.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I am not mistaken, any problem with the weapon is dealt with by the Manufacturer, not the dealer. So what is the dealer going to stand behind the pistol for? Also, most places I have been to are all sales on firearms are final. From Walmart to the local gun shops. The dealer doesn't make the weapon so they don't warranty it, the manufacturer does and they choose to warranty it or not. Rugers aren't warrantied. It even states so on their manual, no card to return or anything. You hear about all the problems with Kimber because when the thing works the way it is supposed to nobody has anything to say. When the thing is FUBAR, then people complain incessantly and belittle and degrade the manufacturer. So all you hear are the mistakes, if you heard of all the ones that worked properly then it may be a different story.

[This message has been edited by BKC45ACP (edited 11-25-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by BKC45ACP:
If I am not mistaken, any problem with the weapon is dealt with by the Manufacturer, not the dealer. So what is the dealer going to stand behind the pistol for? Also, most places I have been to are all sales on firearms are final. From Walmart to the local gun shops. The dealer doesn't make the weapon so they don't warranty it, the manufacturer does and they choose to warranty it or not. Rugers aren't warrantied. It even states so on their manual, no card to return or anything. You hear about all the problems with Kimber because when the thing works the way it is supposed to nobody has anything to say. When the thing is FUBAR, then people complain incessantly and belittle and degrade the manufacturer. So all you hear are the mistakes, if you heard of all the ones that worked properly then it may be a different story.

[This message has been edited by BKC45ACP (edited 11-25-2001).]
I agree with most of what you said, but, a good dealer will do ALOT for you. I have a dealer that knows I will continue to buy from him if he takes care of me. That's why I don't pay shipping to return firearms. He does this for me. And if I have a problem with a Manufacturer, he will call them and remind them how many thousands of dollars his store spends with them each year. Now THAT's service!!

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

·
Registered
655 Posts
Reddawn, I have 2 Kimbers and 2 Wilsons myself. I called Kimber to talk to the custom shop about making some changes to the pistols and they were downright snotty about it over the phone. I got the impression that they didn't want to waste time talking to me. Wilson on the other hand was not only very helpful but spent 15 minutes shooting the breeze with me about the shooting industry. That is what true customer service is about. To show you care about the customer. It will be a Wilson before another Kimber. I tell that to any who wants to know. You also get more for your money. Compare the top of the line Kimber to the Wilsons......

66 Posts
I am going to attempt the number of interactions in detail. Between a 1911 and 6 hp two stroke engine. As four strokes are only available on higher horse more expensive engines(motors). Ok first you pull the string-1 the plug gets its high volt spark from the rotating mag and the charged but low compressed cylinder(from low inertia) has both a gassed and compressed cylinder both valve closed. 2 boom the cycle worked and firing occured the piston now moving down is now open on the valve or valves allowing the intake of fresh ignition oxygen and exhaust of the spent fuel carbon and ready for the next cycle. So I count three on the 6 hp motor with your own arm one of the three.
Now I will attempt the action of the 1911. 1 pulling the slide back and releasing. 2 pulling trigger which releases hammer. 3 firing pin strikes primer. 4 primer fires contained gases in ammo causing least resistance point to move(bullet). 5 bullet travels with increasing velosity as gas pressure builds and pressure is now on the lock lugs keeping barrel in place for bullet travel. 6 as bullet exits the barrel the gas pressure drops and allows the barrel to loose lock on lugs and the barrel swivels on the link and pin. 7 the recoil spring now under 15 to 20 pounds per sq. and waits until pressure is below this rating and pushes forward. 7 the returning slide finishes pushing the placed ammos(from the mag spring and mag follower positioning) into the breach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts