1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really looking for ideas for a type of gun, but what are people’s thoughts about a gun in the car.

I'm sure we all think we should have one, but when can it stay there?

In my area I would feel uneasy about leaving a handgun in my car when I'm not in it. The thought of someone stealing my car is bad enough, having that same thief fondling (or worse) my 1911 is too much to risk.

Everyone runs into situations where we can’t bring our sidearms with us (airports, schools, courthouses…) how do you all feel and cope with this?

I have a relative who keeps his Colt Anaconda in his glovebox, he has drawn on it a few times (just the site of it was all it took). He rarely is away from his truck, and lives way upstate where car theft is very rare. How do you deal with this in suburbia?

Also, has nyone got some ideas (links) for a gun safe for the car? Under the front seat with touch tone combination.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I just sort of gulp and leave the gun in the car when that is necessary. I don't like it, but sometimes the choice is no gun for the whole trip or leave the gun in the car while visiting someone in the hospital or going to that school play.

Downtown, all bets are off, but there is very little crime where I live. People sometimes leave their garages open all day while they are at work. I'm much easier in my mind about leaving the piece in the console near my home.

Seems to be that I read where some car maker is offering gun boxes under the front seats. Mercedes, maybe?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's a link that you might find helpful. Gall's makes a little bit of everything in the public safety industry, safes included. Here's one you might like:
http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=SF013

Hope this helps...

------------------
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, " How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most states do allow glovebox or console carry and most of us know if we can or cannot carry there in our respective state.
I keep a weapon in the glovebox at all times but not my best / most expensive one either. The possibility is certainly there for the truck and/or gun to be stolen so I keep something that I can fairly easily replace. You can go to your local gun shop and usually find a decent used .38 / .357 revolver for less than $200 if you look around. Now this won`t be a "tack-driver" but adequate for the intended purpose which would be close range defense.
Keep in mind though, at least in SC, if you are in your vehicle and do shoot someone then you damn well better be able to prove that you weren`t able to drive off from the incident. If you can`t prove that then the shooting won`t be justified since you could`ve left the scene thus eliminating the threat to your life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Available through Dillon and I'm sure other dealer's is a Gun locking device called a Life Jacket. It costs about $20.00 and can be bolted somewhere out of sight in your vehicle. It seems to me this would discourage a casual Thief should he break into your vehicle. It would mean a minute locking up your gun before you leave your vehicle, and unlocking it when you get back in. But considering today's "Legal System ".
I could forsee a 10-15 year old stealing a pistol out of your glovebox, shooting someone with it, and you being criminally liable. Something to think about.

If God hadn't meant for man to own guns, He wouldn't have sent us John Browning!

Rob

·
Registered
254 Posts
For what it's worth.. I have a CCW but I am not permitted to carry on the job. But, I do like to be armed on the trip to and from work, so I got a fanny pack holster and modified it so it's now a "strong side seat" holster. It fits on right hand side of the drivers seat in my truck, it allows very quick access to the pistol and it's easy to get in and out. My current "truck gun" is a G-21. I don't like leaving it in the truck, but I bite my tongue and deal with it. I also use this setup for trips to and from the airport and other places you simply can't carry on your person. I guess in the overall scheme of things, I've decided that I'd rather be armed and risk the threat of theft, than not be armed at all. I use the Glock because out of all the pistols I carry, the Glock would be the easiest to replace if need be. Also, I make a point of spending enough time with the Glock to ensure my comfort and confidence using it as a carry piece. I know this isn't the only way or best way, but it seems to work for me... good shooting..

mavrick

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you have a beretta or another gun that has a quick way to strip off the slide, then you could keep the slide with you and leave the frame and ammo in the car. AS far as I know, just a slide and barrel isn't a "firearm" that can be prohibited, and if a thief jacks your ride, he will just have a couple of bullets and a fancy rubber band gun
A revolver is nice since there are no springs under tension to wear out if you forget the gun for a few years. I'm looking into mounting a kydex holster under the steering wheel of my mustang, something I would lock if necessary. Since I'm a lefty, a gun in the console box or glove compartment is inconveinent and I don't want to keep anything in the side door compartment in case a car jacker opens my door, taking my gun with it. My problem is that I work on federal property, so I can't carry on the way. Thats where the big mag light comes into play :> LAter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jason10mm:
I`m not sure about the laws in Hawaii, but here in SC a gun mounted under the dash or steering wheel would get you in trouble real quick. Seems that you must have the gun in a glovebox or console or, if you have a CCP, on yourself. Any other place and you`re out of luck if caught.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,001 Posts
I agree with just about everyone else. I son't like the idea of providing a gun, as well as a car, to a thief. But, I've never had a car stolen or broken into, so I can live with that. In my state, it is legal to have a gun in your car, but only if you are in the car, too. If you have a Concealed Pistol License, the gun can be left in the car. My car has a small, lockable bin just behind/between the seat, and I kept the gun in the locked bin, until I relaized I'd have to shut-off the car to get the key for the bin. Now I keep the bin unlocked, but make doubly sure the doors are locked (I have noticed recently that people who have remote locking on their own vehicles will invariably fail to lock my car when exiting). I chose a gun that I could afford to lose as my "car gun". I have separate carry and house guns, with different criteria for each.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car has a small, lockable bin just behind/between the seat, and I kept the gun in the locked bin, until I relaized I'd have to shut-off the car to get the key for the bin.[/B]
Maybe just a quick release fob for your key?

The closest thing I've found is in the Cabela'a catalog. Unfortunately it is too thick for under my (Durango) seat. This is pretty close to what I want. One could reach between your legs under the driver seat enter a combination/pass/code and the front would flip down and a drawer would slide forward with your handgun or whatever valuables. This would be bolted in of course. The Cabela's design has a code protction so that if someone tries guessing codes at random it will turn off and can only be opened by the back-up key. The deluxe edition even has an internal light and an alarm.

Maybe I should just get a new vehicle?

I thought this would also be handy for behind the bedide nightstand. It could keep a loaded pistol close at hand, but away from my kids.

------------------
"NULLUM VINUM FLACCIDUM"

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My job states no loaded weapons inside the building. So I get to work, empty the firearm, lock the mags in the glove box, store the pistol on a mead 5 star daily planner, put that in my backpack that carries my laptop and other supplies and off I go

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts