1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe how much renewed interest I have in shooting now that I have an accurite and appealing gun to shoot. Since trading my Ruger P93 in for the BUL M5 commander I find myself constantly dry firing and looking for ways to improve myself.
I had the Ruger for 5 years and went to the range all of three times in the first year and lost interest as I could not be accurite with that gun. It just didn't motivate me at all.
The BUL is so accurite it's like it challenges me to improve every time I shoot it if that makes any sense. If I do my part right the round hits the bull, everytime.
Guess I've been bit hard by the 1911 bug!

[This message has been edited by fugedaboudit (edited 11-16-2001).]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Life is too short to waste time on mediocrity. With "barely good enough" tools the job can be done, but with excellent tools the "job" is transformed into pleasure.

Every once in a while, some poor guy gets on here and talks about how he spent some big bucks fixing up his gun, or how he spent some big bucks on buying a really top-end gun, and some turkey starts telling him what he fool he is because a low-cost gun is "adequate".

Well, he's right. But "adequate" isn't what I want out of life. The pleasure I receive from excellence is worth the extra time and money.

Congratulations on trading in your adequate gun on an excellent gun, and happy shooting!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wish I had saved, and saved, and saved!

If so, I would have waited and purchased a Les Baer to begin with...

I started w/several less-than-adequate side-arms until I finally got the end-all of 1911s.

I would have saved a lot of money, but I never would have known how good the top-end guns really are without knowing what low-end is...

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
541 Posts
I too wasted alot of money on decent pistols......now I've ended up with 2 WILSONS. I'll never go back.....good luck to you

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I look at it this way, In High school and college the girls in the band were "adequate" but everybdy still wanted a cheerleader.

I spent and literally wasted thousands of dolars getting what I could afford with what I had in my pocket rather than save for the custom shop piece.

well, NOW of course I realise how stupid I was paying retail or close to retail for something only to sell it at a loss a short time later.

I've been way patient recently and now my patience is paying off.

The old joke is true, you can run down the hill and #$%%^ only one or you can WALK down the hill and #$%%$ them all!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Dad taught me that "you might as well start off with what you're gonna end up with".

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,007 Posts
I've been shooting the same gun in competition for four+ years. My new gun is my first to have a fitted barrel, and shooting it, I cut thirteen seconds off my IDPA Classifier score. Other than the mechanical accuracy, the two guns are almost identical. I used to feel like I had to stop my gun and refine the sight picture on any shot beyond about 30 feet, but now if I can see the front sight through the rear sight, the hit will be there. It's pretty amazing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
"Only accurate rifles are interesting" - Col Townsend Whelen.

I think that applies to pistols as well.

------------------
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, " How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

·
Registered
474 Posts
Very well said gentlemen! If I had only saved long enough to buy THE ONE the first time around, I would have saved myself a bundle of cash.

To own a pistol that you truly enjoy shooting, priceless.

There is only one other step I can take. Too bad, as the semi-custom has lived up to my greatest expectations.

------------------

·
Registered
403 Posts
Orion,

You just weren't dating the RIGHT girls in the band.

The cheerleaders had nothing on them, I can assure you. (Grin).

·
Registered
206 Posts
An old quote:

"A poor man can only afford the very best."

Also:

"If you pay too much, you only lose money. If you pay too little, you lose money, the tool and the task to be performed."

·
Registered
989 Posts
I understand what you guys are talking about. I would love a wilson combat CQB. I have a bunch of stock guns that serve me well. A sig p-220 stack works well enough for me. My springfield stainless longslide is also plenty accurate for me. I am interested in combat shooting , not bullseye shooting. I practice at 7 yards or so and put 20 or 30 rounds into 4 inch paper plates spread all over the target plywood. If I hit each plate anywhere once I move to the next one. Sometimes it's fun to make a pretty cloverleaf on the plate, but it's not why I own guns. My desire is to be highly proficient at quickly shooting good enough to win a gun fight. I practice to become faster and faster and shoot naturally from either hand in any position. Sometimes I walk and shoot or move from side to side. The really high end pistols are great if you want something highly tuned . I think of my handguns more like an AK , they have to be reliable and durable and shoot well enough to hit a human sized target at distances suitable for handguns.
I was able to make an 8 inch circle at 100 yards with my glock 36 taking my time and resting my hands on a bench... I found that to be surprising . Maybe some day I will sell several combat stock handguns and purchase a 2000 or 3000 dollar 1911 . Right now It does not interest me. What has impressed me is the 55000 rounds thru my old colt series 80 and the reliability and durability of that old rattle prone gun. Custom tighly fitted 1911's are interesting, but not at all what Browning designed the gun for. The original specs were for a very loose gun that functioned with good enough accuracy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thats what I love about 1911s. They can be anything you want them to be (alas, few guns can be EVERYTHING you want them to be
. A super accurate target pistol, ultra-reliable combat pistol, or gadgety competition pistol. Name any other gun design that can boast such a wide range of uses. LAter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts