1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I kind of liked the look of some of the green PVD/DLC type finishes out there and the way the colors shift depending on lighting conditions for my "game gun", but generally they cost about $200 for a handgun.

I came across this "gun candy" finish that can give a similar effect for about $40. I do all my own Cerakote so this is well in my wheelhouse so I figured I'd take a flyer on it.

Long story short, it looks neat but I would not call THE WAY I DID IT a success. Generally you're supposed to put these prismatic finishes over a base color, usually black. Most of the time that's Cerakote. People say to lightly media blast the Cerakote at something like 20 PSI to give the clear with gun candy mixed in a good surface to stick to. Instead of doing this, I just did a very matte application of Cerakote, thinking this would give some texture for the gun candy to stick to. I figured it would be difficult to evenly media blast the Cerakote without taking off too much in spots. Well, that plan didn't work. The gun candy flakes off too easily and just isn't durable enough, even for a gun that won't see hard use IMO. You can see where it got knocked off in front of the thumb safety just from tapping the frame into the grip with a plastic mallet.

I used the color "scorpion" mixed with matte clear Gunkote FWIW.

IMO the best way to go would be to media blast the gun and blue it, then apply this finish. Then you're not worried about it stickling to something like Cerakote, which is pretty slick. That wasn't an option for me since the slide is stainless. I might try this again by simply blasting the Cerakote off altogether and just putting clear with candy over media blasted base metal. That'll give a different look than if the base color was black, but I think it would hold up a lot better.

Anyway, just trying to save somebody else from being dumb like me and not following the recommendations that are out there on how to do this.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Looks sharp: you did something right.

Reactions: pawpawlong

·
Registered
19 Posts
All of the spray on home finishes will flake off and chip over time. Its just the way it works. Hopefully you like the actual “battle worn” finish. If you want to keep it new, leave it in the safe.
personallyI like it when the finish starts wearing off. Its getting used and making memories.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the spray on home finishes will flake off and chip over time. Its just the way it works. Hopefully you like the actual “battle worn” finish. If you want to keep it new, leave it in the safe.
personallyI like it when the finish starts wearing off. Its getting used and making memories.
In my experience, Cerakote is pretty tough. I have had excellent results applying it myself and it holding up. The only "chipping" to any Cerakote I've done is from a gun basically dropping on the ground or on the brass deflector of an AR-15, which would affect any other kind of finish was well IMO.

This is a case of trying to apply a finish over a finish that is inherently slippery. With the hoops you have to try to jump through media blasting the thing after Cerakote to make that "work" (and even then I have my doubts it would hold up), I won't be trying it again.

I have used Gunkote back in the day as well. Not as tough as Cerakote but not bad. This "candy" finish is just the prismatic powder mixed in with clear Gunkote. One day here soon when I'm not feeling lazy, I will strip the gun back to bare metal and just apply the candy finish directly to the metal. Will post results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts