1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I was reading the manual that came with my new Kimber TLE and grease is not recommended when lubing the Kimber,can someone shed some light as why not use grease?Also says do not use degreaser,are they talking about something like gunscrubber? Thanks folks.I hav'nt shot it yet,but will shoot it thursday on my day off.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
The old "grease vs. oil" debate will never end.

While cleaning aids like "Gunscrubber" or aerosol brake cleaner do a wonderful job cleaning/degreasing, I've seen nightmarish messes made by guys blasting all the gunk into hidden nooks. I love the stuff after a detail strip. Don't forget, it removes all lube from metals, so you must protect it afterwards. Awfully hard to do with an assembled pistol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hoppe's and Q-tips are an old family tradition. I use a little grease on the rails of my Kimbers and the world hasn't come to an end yet. Not sure if it "voids the warranty" to grease 'em up a little, but always figured they were just machines and need lubrication.;)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The grease warning is lawyer speak: if they didn't, some cop in Green bay might slap some on his service pistol, leave it in his trunk over night, and then the gun would not cycle because the grease thickened up.

I use grease on every one of my 11 handguns with zero problems. I recommend a top quality grease like Slide Glide, Tetra, Ultima Lube, thinned down about 30 - 40% with a super good oil like Militec liquid or FP-10. Grease DEFINITELY reduces wear compared to oil alone, and it makes the gun cycle smoother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts