1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
75,411 Posts
I have something similar, but nowhere near as gussied up. Ordinarily I'd have never considered owning a Llama, but this thing looked so darn cute at the LGS I had to have it. It ended up being a bit of a project gun, however. I had to tweak the mags and run a finishing reamer through the chamber to get it to feed ammo reliably. Even now it definitely likes hot ammo like Stingers and Mini-Mags better than other brands. It's still my favorite .22 to shoot though.
Photograph Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I never considered a Llama until a friend brought on of the little .22's to the range. After shooting it I was impressed, and just socked that info away. So when I found this at a great price, I bought with confidence, and it has turned out to be a winner. Only problem is getting magazines.

·
Premium Member
10,479 Posts
22’s are pretty fun. Unfortunately, kinda like what DSK mentioned, ya gotta run some hotter ammo to reliably cycle most, especially in this day and age of el crapo ammo.
Runnin’ them wet is pretty much a given.....except for those as loose as silverware in a drawer.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This one will run with standard velocity .22LR, as well as the higher velocity stuff. Velocitor is rather sporty in this little gun...noticeably sharper than all the other loads I tried.

·
Registered
25,643 Posts
Sounds like you got one that runs. Not all of them will do so. I think that quality control on those puppies was pretty spotty.

·
Administrator
75,411 Posts
Most .22 ammo these days is such garbage that I can't even run it in most of my semi-autos. I have a Marlin 60 which is a rifle with a reputation for running virtually anything. The last couple boxes of bulk ammo from Federal, Winchester and Aguilla I bought have repeatedly caused that thing to choke. I noticed that true high velocity ammo is somewhat hard to find these days. Most of the bulk ammo is midway between high and standard velocity in power, not counting the ones with hardly any powder inside which is something like one in every ten rounds.

Reactions: Nitro.45

·
Premium Member
10,479 Posts
And, if I recall correctly, the primer compound is totally different than it was growing up. Most likely the cause of the majority of duds needing a second blow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Back in 50s & 60s when Stoger was Llama importer they were held to higher standards. In later 60s into 70s they had bad reputations. Look in Shooters Bible from 50-60s and see all the finish options on their small frame autos. They even had a light weight model. If I remember right they started out for less than $30. That was period when a Ruger auto 22 was $37.50. They have come back up in quality since.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thus far it's a HUGE hit with my daughter...I suspect it may someday quietly slip into her bag while visiting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It would be nice to have something with a little bling. Thus far all my firearms have been tools, utilitarian devices with a specific purpose in mind.

·
Registered
25,643 Posts
Most .22 ammo these days is such garbage that I can't even run it in most of my semi-autos. I have a Marlin 60 which is a rifle with a reputation for running virtually anything. The last couple boxes of bulk ammo from Federal, Winchester and Aguilla I bought have repeatedly caused that thing to choke. I noticed that true high velocity ammo is somewhat hard to find these days. Most of the bulk ammo is midway between high and standard velocity in power, not counting the ones with hardly any powder inside which is something like one in every ten rounds.
I am surprised that you have had problems with Aguila. I have used it as my go to round lately on the rare occasions when I shoot.22 rimfire with very few issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts