1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had the grips off my Custom 2 Stainless until today. My fault for the neglect. Found some slight rust and was wondering the best way to remove without taking it to somone.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I bought a used Kimber made in 2000, it had a couple spots of rust under grips too. I clean them up with the tip of a file, then dap of naval jelly and allowed it to set for 5 minutes. After that I scrubbed the frame with metal polish and a thin coat of synthetic oil. I check it from time to time and it hasn't come back.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I bought a used Kimber made in 2000, it had a couple spots of rust under grips too. I clean them up with the tip of a file, then dap of naval jelly and allowed it to set for 5 minutes. After that I scrubbed the frame with metal polish and a thin coat of synthetic oil. I check it from time to time and it hasn't come back.
ATF and a very fine steel wool, has worked to get rid of that kind of rust, and keep it away for good.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Not removing the grips periodically to put lubrication on that area is common. I do mine every 2 to 3 months now for protection.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
ATF and a very fine steel wool, has worked to get rid of that kind of rust, and keep it away for good.
I would advise to NEVER use steel wool on a stainless gun. Little particles of the steel wool will imbed in the metal and cause an even bigger rust problem.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yeah, when I went to put a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my Kahr MK9 I was shocked to see how much rust had formed under the old grips.

Its a carry gun, so I used it as a lesson in SS maintenance and got on with life.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Another option is a little paste wax under there.
L.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would advise to NEVER use steel wool on a stainless gun. Little particles of the steel wool will imbed in the metal and cause an even bigger rust problem.
30 years, and it hasn't happened to me yet. Thanks for passing on what you've read though.

The trick is to clean after removing the rust. If particles of powder, lead, on brass come out, remnants of steel wool is a cakewalk to remove.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
30 years, and it hasn't happened to me yet. Thanks for passing on what you've read though.

The trick is to clean after removing the rust. If particles of powder, lead, on brass come out, remnants of steel wool is a cakewalk to remove.
Powder, lead, and brass won't rust like carbon steel either. And they also don't get rubbed into the metal like using steel wool to remove rust spots.

If you're going to give advice on using steel wool on stainless steel, you might also want to include your "trick" with your original comment.

For me, a Scotch Brite scour pad works just as good and there's no "trick" to prevent that method from causing further rust.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
+ on Scotch Brite pads.

Stay safe,
Rick

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
there is also a thin grip saver you can put between the grips and frame.

http://www.alumagrips.com/main.taf?p=2,1,5

scroll about half way down
Those are to protect the frame from the aluminum grip panels. I have them on a gun I have Alumagrips on, but I wouldn't use them on another gun. They'd hold moisture more than the wood or other non-metalic grips would.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Powder, lead, and brass won't rust like carbon steel either. And they also don't get rubbed into the metal like using steel wool to remove rust spots.

If you're going to give advice on using steel wool on stainless steel, you might also want to include your "trick" with your original comment.

For me, a Scotch Brite scour pad works just as good and there's no "trick" to prevent that method from causing further rust.
So, you don't clean after scrubbing? Then your technique is a poor one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stainless definitely is not rustless. Any stainless contact with carbon can contaminate/impregnate the stainless surface.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Stainless definitely is not rustless. Any stainless contact with carbon can contaminate/impregnate the stainless surface.
No, carbon doesn't cause any rust. The iron in carbon steel can. Rust is iron oxide, no carbon involved. Small pieces of iron can contaminate a stainless surface.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts