1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little shootout between between my Nighthawk Bob Marvel .45, Ed Brown Classic Custom, Les Baer Thunder Ranch, and Nighthawk Bob Marvel .22.

It was quite an informal shootout. I put 50 rounds through each of them to see which I could shoot the best 50-round group with. The ammo used was Federal American Eagle 230gr and Aguila for the .22. I used the same magazines in each of the guns. I loaded up all the magazines, and fired one mag after another with no break. The only breaks taken were the few minutes after finishing up 50 rounds to swap out guns and reload the magazines. The target was hung at 15'.

The order I shot them was:
-Nighthawk Bob Marvel .45
-Ed Brown Classic Custom
-Les Baer Thunder Ranch
-Nighthawk Bob Marvel .22

This is how the Thunder Ranch shot:

Here is the target with all the groupings:

My first two shots with the Thunder Ranch were in the same hole. Thought I was going to be onto something good with it. Then it seemed to go downhill a little from there. Unfortunately, I didn't shoot the Baer as well as I hoped I would. I think the main reason is because of the sights. I just don't seem to shoot as well with them as I do other setups. I was also becoming a little discouraged when I saw my group wasn't as tight as the Nighthawk Bob Marvel .45 and the Ed Brown Classic Custom. That might've messed with my head a little. I had one malfunction with the gun. It was a failure to feed with a Chip McCormick mag. That's been my third malfunction in 574 rounds. All have been failure to feeds. The first two were with Les Baer mags. Next time I get this gun out to the range, I hope to shoot it a little better. I don't think I did too bad with it. It's just not as good I hoped to do.

It was fun little shootout! :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice shooting and nice pistols. Does the Thunder Ranch have the three dot set up for sights? Those are my least favorite set up for these old eyes. My Custom Carry has the three dot night sights and they are getting changed out very soon I hope.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that is very good shooting.
Thank you!

Nice shooting and nice pistols. Does the Thunder Ranch have the three dot set up for sights? Those are my least favorite set up for these old eyes. My Custom Carry has the three dot night sights and they are getting changed out very soon I hope.
Yeah, they're the 3-dot setup. And of the 3-dot setups, these are the worst, tied with Springfield. It's the aluminum sleeves around the tritium that make them the worst. The aluminum causes a glare, which is distracting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have to agree that the aluminum sleeved tritium are horrible in some light conditions - especially at the range where I shoot.

Are the white sleeved version available for purchase so I could swap it out? I have looked online with no results. I do not want to send the gun or slide out if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to agree that the aluminum sleeved tritium are horrible in some light conditions - especially at the range where I shoot.

Are the white sleeved version available for purchase so I could swap it out? I have looked online with no results. I do not want to send the gun or slide out if I can avoid it.
If you know how to change out sights, you should be able to purchase some with white rings and swap them out. Otherwise, it looks like you'll have to send them off. I'd like to send my Baers and Springfields to Alchemy Custom to have all the sights replaced at some point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was hoping to just swap out the tube and sleeve, but this does give me an idea - buy the front sight and remove that tube/sleeve and put it in the sight on my SRP. Had not thought of that. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to just swap out the tube and sleeve, but this does give me an idea - buy the front sight and remove that tube/sleeve and put it in the sight on my SRP. Had not thought of that. Thanks.
That sounds more difficult than just swapping out the entire sight. I've never attempted it, so I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Good shooting. A lot of people can't shoot like that even at five feet distance.
You got that right. I have been shooting with three dot night sights for many years. The single dot in the front takes some getting used to, but it does force you to focus there.

Nice review, L2R.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Great post about a couple great pistols. The grips on the Ed Brown are amazing, who made them if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great post about a couple great pistols. The grips on the Ed Brown are amazing, who made them if you don't mind me asking.
Thank you. The grips are mammoth ivory made by Dan Chinnock.

(If there is a problem with me posting a picture of an Ed Brown in the Les Baer subforum, let me know and I will delete the picture.)

I have another set of mammoth ivory by Dan Chinnock on my Ultimate Tactical Carry.

My dad has a set from Dan on his Ed Brown Classic Custom as well.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Amazing pistols and thanks for the info on the grips...

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Those pistols look incredible with those grips. Nice photography, as well.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the look of bluing with ivory. The bark in the ivory on my dad's Classic Custom really looks good against the stainless too. I have a set of elephant ivory I got from Dan Chinnock just waiting to go on another gun.

·
Registered
989 Posts
That is really excellent shooting. Of all those beautiful guns I really like the look of the ed brown best. Nice shooting machines , you have excellent taste.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts