1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you owned one, and it was completely reliable and accurate, would you be inclined to trade it on something else because of bad comments you read? I have a Charles Daly 1911 FS model that has been totalyy reliable in over 800 rounds thru it. Not one failure of any kind. In the accuracy dept. I couldn't be more pleased. At 25 ft. I can chew the center out of a target. But , sometimes I wonder how can my gun perform like this when I read so many negative comments. Then I wonder maybe these people know something I don't and think maybe I should trade it on a SA or Kimber. But then I think, why , it does everything it is suppose to do. The internet has made it more confusing for us gun owners.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Refreshing to hear someone singing the praises of a gun once in a while. We need to start offsetting all the negatives we hear about a manufacturer with positive experiences, like this one. I believe that this forum has enough influences on its members to possibly steer a potential buyer away from a certain product. If the buyer is conditioned to hearing over and over an over again that Chuckie D's guns are inaccurate/unreliable/junk, etc...it is bound to sink in (at least on a subconcious level).

It would be nice if we could all afford Baer/Brown/Wilson/etc, but we can't. Let's not get too down on the entry level market, and give them a chance once in a while. You've obviously been pleasantly surprised. There's enough gun related companies going under because of political reasons. Lets not add to that list by boycotting the smaller guys. They are on our side too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Although I haven't been as lucky with either of the Charles Dalys that I have owned, I understand your concern. It's kinda like my shooting buddy whose Kimber has over 12,000 rounds through it. He got on the internet and found out that MIM parts are no good! Most of us Kimber owners on the web are wondering when our MIM parts are going to break!

If your Chucky is giving good service, keep shooting it and forget about the nay sayers and gurus of the web. BTW, my Chucky shoots 1.75" at 25 yds thanks to a fitted EGW barrel bushing. My Kimber is a little tighter and smoother, but 'Ol Chucky does a helluva job for about $200 fewer bucks!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a Charles Daly FS 1911A1 and have been very happy with it. There really is a lot there for the money and it has been pretty good at the range. I've had folks who aren't in to the 1911's think that it was an $1600 gun that was fully tricked out. All I did to it was replace the FP stop, and drop some bonded ivory grips on it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Of course your not going to buy this or that model. If you put so much emphasis on others opinions. I mean you don't know me from anything. I don't know you from anything. If I do real research on a product it may be from the opinion of someone I don't know at all. Who says SA1911s are obsolete because they only shoot well on mondays. I say the Single action 1911s are the greatest. I say the C1911 is tops.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If it will go bang and hit what you intend to hit, then it's worth it's weight in gold. Maybe more. Don't let anyone tell you a Charles Daly is no good if your own experience tell you otherwise.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Moving to Charles Daly Forum...

·
Registered
50 Posts
What else do you want? It is accurate and reliable and was cheap to boot. The only thing that you are giving up is a lot of polishing and a fancy finish. I tend to baby the nicer guns that I own. Guns like your Daley are great because you just take them out and shoot them without worring about nicks and scratches.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have nothing but praise for Charles Daly. I purchased a 1911-A1 FS a few months back and it has really surprised not only myself, but other shooters in my league and officers in my department. This is my first 1911 purchase and I bought it because it was supposedly a "cheapie" and "entry level 1911". I have fired 3000+ rounds through my Chuck over the past three months. Approximately 2900rds were reloads with the remainder being factory. Note: my CD is out of the box with no modifications whatsoever. I had a few problems with magazines, but Wilson mags have performed the best in my gun. Other than than that, I have had zero malfunctions. On an accuracy note, I hold my own shooting against high dollar 1911's in my league. One of my fellow shooters is constantly on this forum and can testify that the Charles Daly line is not "just an entry level 1911." Of course he would only admit this if he could set aside the pride of owning a $1700 tricked-out limited class 1911. If the CD works, carry on and happy shootin'.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've had mine for a few months, no problems, feels great, shoots great. My buddy who owns a Kimber started questioning why he spent the extra $300.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my CD for a little over a month ... shot aprox. 300 rounds with 4 FTF all I attribute to the factory mags. None with my shooting stars . Bottom line mine preforms as well as my friends SA for hundreds less ( cheap no way I call it value )

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
When will they make a officer"s length frame?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had my Charles Daly CS model for only about a month and am quite happy with it, the problem I'm having at the moment is the slide not locking open after the last shot. After reading a few posts here and other boards I've ordered some Mecgar mags. Should be getting them next week. The only failure I've had with it is failure to eject some Corbon's 185 gr. Hollowpoint +p's (4 out of 6 failed). Quit shooting these but have had no other problems. Now I'm thinking about a little customizing new sights? custom grips? I don't know just a few ideas I've been knocking around. I've really haven't shot it that much and haven't got real serious about seeing what type of grouping I can get. This will come when this dang blasted snow goes away which shouldn't be too much longer as I've seen my first robin (actually 4) of the year. If I had listened to most everybody on various boards I would have expected the thing to fall apart at the first shot with it being so inexpensive. Some of us can't afford a Kimber, Wilson, or Les Baer but what a 1911 style handgun so let's hear it for the Chuckies.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When I read a lot of negative things about chuck, first thing came to mind was sell my gun. Before selling it I check other boards to see which one is better. After reading lots of forums I only got confused and decided to stick with it. Glad I made that decision.

I've seen other shooters using other models but some also have failures.

vega

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Vega. I see you are in the Phillippines. I was stationed at Clark AB 1988 thru 1990. I had a pretty good time. Got to know a lot of people. I have seen pictures on the web of what it looks like now, and it is totally different. Yes the gun boards confused me too. Like I said I have close to 1000 rounds thru mine without any problems, what more could I ask for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts