1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see often, that modification of a carry gun may be bad. I don't see that. If the shoot is good, it is good.

But lets play. I own a Remington R1S, modified to a series 70 safety. Let's say I was not charged criminally, and am facing civil charges.

For this case, I was in my home, and the criminal kicked in my door, I fired a controlled pair at COM at the threat. Individual was a felon, and was armed.

If you believe modding a gun leads to liability issues, be the prosecutor in the civil trial, I will answer.

Both of my rounds hit the intruder, he can be dead, or injured, whatever you want.

Please show me how a modded defense gun makes me liable.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
This is a legal question and not a tactical one. If you want to discuss different opinions on double tapping (controlled pair is the PC-sissy-boy version) versus a good Mozambique (now known as the failure ton stop because god forbid we might offend someone...pretty soon we'll have to call Mexican carry, "Latino of Unknown Origins Carry") then I will be happy to do exactly that. Otherwise this is a silly, beat to death, and played out conversation that is perfect fodder for Legal and Political.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
The only legal problems with the use of a modified weapon occur between the ears of a certain non-legally-trained, self-promoting, beer-swilling, chain-smoking, Napoleonic, foul-mouthed gunrag-writer/seminar-giver. :cool:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
When you are in court, it is not about logic, right or wrong, legal or illegal; it is all about who has the best attorney, the judge's biases, and the jury's biases. Where I live, the judge and the majority of the jury are most likely liberal and anti-gun. Logic doesn't have a chance, why provide them with more reasons to decide against you? If it just came down to logic, OJ would have been executed for murder.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I think the phrase-
"I fired a controlled pair at COM at the threat..."
Dropped in a public forum is much more damning than anything you are carrying.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If someone needed killin', they needed killin'. The method or tool used to make that happen is irrelevent.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well I don't know about your state, but in my state it's a non issue. If there is no criminal case, then there's no civil case. LimaCharlie has it right though. If you can be charged, it may not matter how good your logic is since many of people involved make decisions based on emotional and political views. If logic were king, there wouldn't be so many cases settled out of court.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
When you are in court, it is not about logic, right or wrong, legal or illegal; it is all about who has the best attorney, the judge's biases, and the jury's biases. Where I live, the judge and the majority of the jury are most likely liberal and anti-gun. Logic doesn't have a chance, why provide them with more reasons to decide against you? If it just came down to logic, OJ would have been executed for murder.

I'm of the opinion that this information isn't germane to the question posed by the OP.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussing the realities of court decisions in relation to a question about a civil court case scenario isn't germane?

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Discussing the realities of court decisions in relation to a question about a civil court case scenario isn't germane?
If one does want to argue that this whole discussion barely falls under the heading of personal defense. Of course what I want to know is why so many people buy 80's series guns and then change them instead of buying a 70's series style (style because 70's series are Colt guns) like anything from SA, some Colts, Dan Wesson, Ruger, etc...far easier to never have had the safety at all if you're suddenly worried about legal ramifications.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
In actuality none of it matters.
I've been involved in multiple OIS's in my career.
Everyone was textbook per the Department .
But,
I was sued civilly in each and every one.
Your weapon modifications will matter more if it was a Negligent Discharge, or you attempt to use it as an excuse in your defense.

More than likely, the type of ammo and modifications will be used by the other side to cloud the jury's mind. To paint a picture of your intent.

In truth, the best outcome would by Trial by Judge and not Trial by Jury, in my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
772 Posts
A somewhat different scenario: assume the mods were done by the gun manufacturer. For example, Sig, through their Custom Shop, offers mods such as an "Action Enhancement Package" and a "Feed Ramp Polish." If modifications are an issue in a legal proceeding, are these modifications going to be an equal or lesser issue?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.