1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my last 25-06 some time ago and miss having a rifle in this most versatile caliber. I have found a source for a NIB M70 LT for $500 and am ready to jump on it but I'd like some comments from the audience. I love my .416 M70 Safari Express but it is certainly not what I would term pleasant to shoot so this piece looks like a great item for me to have. The only thing that causes me some hesitation is the barrel which I am guessing is pretty thin as the rifle weighs less than 8 lbs. Main purpose would be varmit and target shooting (which is why I'd like at least a medium barrel) but I'd also use it for whitetail as well.

How much does it cost to rebarrel from a lighter barrel to a heavier one? Yeah, I could go with a Remington Sendero but I really like that big claw extractor.

My father in law also has a Mauser butterknife commercial action and a stock blank that he said he would give to me. Maybe I should have one built from scratch? Though when I do that, I think I'd rather do it in a more unusual chambering.

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
This is purely personal, but I built a rifle on a Mauser '98 action, and I truly treasured that gun - more so than any finished gun I ever bought. I did as much of the work as I could myself, and it gave me a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

However, a bargain is a bargain, and the .25-06 is a great caliber, so ...

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Rebarelling will likely cost as much as the rifle, depending on who does the work. But if you shoot a lot, you may have to anyway. The 25-06 wears out barrels pretty quickly.

Thinner barrels sometimes respond favorably to a bit of pressure on the barrel at the tip of the stock fore-end. It seems to help a bit with my wispy-barrel .270. You might shoot it a bit, and then try the fore-end pressure trick before deciding to rebarrel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The top barrels in Benchrest right now are Hart, Shilen, and Kreiger. I prefer the Kreiger. These barrels cost around $250-$300 each. A rifle maker will probably charge you about $200 in labor to rebarrel.

The foundation of a rifle is the stock and the bedding job. Without quality there, you are probably wasting your time, IMHO. The Sendero comes with a very good HS Precision stock that already has a bedding block installed.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't own one, but I hear the 25-06 is a firecracker for deer....I've also heard the same good things about the .260 Remington. I'd love to own either.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ever think about trying cast bullets in your 416? I've been using a 350 gr. RCBS mould with good results. Makes the 416 Remington a cinch to shoot with low recoil and reduced velocity. Easily has enough meplat and enough weight to take down any game in the lower 48. Even elk are no match for the 416 with cast bullets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts