1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...the XM177E2. When I bought my Bushmaster I never gave another thought to buying another AR. I had one so it was time to move on from the drooling stage of firearms acquisition to the shooting stage. I removed the carry handle and added a Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle, zeroed it at 50 yards and that was that. After each firearm I've bought I added the necessary accessories and move on to practice, hunting, etc. Rarely do I buy a gun and continue looking at the the same gun. Why? Because you'll eventually find a deal better than the one you made.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a YT video of the XM177E2 and now I want one. I love the short barrel and long moderator. That's such a badass look. There are a few out there NIB but I don't want one bad enough to fork over $2500 or more.

How many of you guys have an XM177E2 or a clone?

·
Registered
567 Posts
After each firearm I've bought I added the necessary accessories and move on to practice, hunting, etc.
I never add "necessary" accessories until I've used a gun to see what accessories it needs which is usually none. We have two AR's, a S&W and a Ruger. Both came with iron sights. Both are still stock except one wears a red dot and the other one a 3-9X40 scope. The scope has quick release mounts so if it gets screwed up it only takes a few seconds to take it off and use the irons. The Ruger cold use a better trigger but it shoots good with the one it came with so it probably wont get a new one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never add "necessary" accessories until I've used a gun to see what accessories it needs which is usually none. We have two AR's, a S&W and a Ruger. Both came with iron sights. Both are still stock except one wears a red dot and the other one a 3-9X40 scope. The scope has quick release mounts so if it gets screwed up it only takes a few seconds to take it off and use the irons. The Ruger cold use a better trigger but it shoots good with the one it came with so it probably wont get a new one.
The question is do you have a Colt or clone XM177E2?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew if I spent enough time researching I'd find one and I have. I'll ask if the seller will come a bit on his price.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What's old is new again. I may be wrong but I seem to recall Bushmaster making a clone like this 20 years ago. I also think nobody cared then and wanted the flat top M4 look.

Looks like a cool rifle though.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I have always been a carry handle guy. I just love the look. Have since sold all my ar's. For me I like my mini 14 better. There is just something about the garand style action that trips my trigger. In fact I now have a newly aquired m1a socom 16. Also sold my polymer pistols ( never owned a glock) 1911's only or revolvers.

To answer the question NO. I don't have one but a few years ago I would have if the deal was right.

·
Premium Member
16,300 Posts
The whole idea of the 'carry handle' was secondary - originally Stoner had the charging 'trigger' on top and it had to have a guard, so they just added a handle, which forced the front sight to be very high to match the rear sight that had to go up on the handle. The charging handle got moved to the rear but the carry handle and high sightline remained for a long time. Now, after all these years, sanity reigns and you can have an AR with lo-rise sights along with an optic that sits right in the sightline.
I never had an XM177 clone. Now that I have experienced an AK pistol, I look at my AR15A3 and kind of wish it were a pistol too. The reason is, all the benefits of an SBR (assuming it has a brace) without having to jump through the hoops.
If you really want an XM177 clone, you can have it if the muzzle attachment is permanently attached, or you can SBR it.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Never had a desire to own one, but saw the LRRP guys with the originals in the Central Highlands of Vietnam in '69. Theirs had some sort of suppressor. Even then, I wondered why have a suppressor on a gun that fired a supersonic projectile. Soon understood when I saw them fired. If I'd not known, I wouldn't have been able to tell where they were firing from. Still had the supersonic crack of course, but but muzzle blast and flash were not detectable from a short distance away. Just made them more stealthy, like their painted faces.

Have to agree with 1sazman. I had a couple Colts ARs in past, was issued an M16A1 in police work, but, the traditional ARs with carry handle and high front sight just never quite fit me, and I was never a fan. I recently acquired a 16" AR, with flat top M-Lok type hand guard, full Picatinny rail, no carry handle or tall front sight, and virtually unlimited options as to iron and/or optical sights. No XM177, but finally an AR that actually fits me(y)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Why not just look for a complete "upper" receiver rather than spend the money on the complete, more expensive rifle? Unfortunately, because of this weird shortage of guns, gun parts, and ammunition, most dealers (like Brownells) that carry new XM177 uppers are out of stock. They're advertised price was about $735. That's the beauty of the AR15, you can switch out the upper receivers quickly and easily, and then switch back.

Oh, and back in the late 80's, early 90's I had a Colt AR15 with the XM177 flash hider permanently attached that I later sold to finance a better gun. The proceeds went to finance a brand new FNH LAR (semi-auto FN FAL).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never had a desire to own one, but saw the LRRP guys with the originals in the Central Highlands of Vietnam in '69. Theirs had some sort of suppressor. Even then, I wondered why have a suppressor on a gun that fired a supersonic projectile. Soon understood when I saw them fired. If I'd not known, I wouldn't have been able to tell where they were firing from. Still had the supersonic crack of course, but but muzzle blast and flash were not detectable from a short distance away. Just made them more stealthy, like their painted faces.

Have to agree with 1sazman. I had a couple Colts ARs in past, was issued an M16A1 in police work, but, the traditional ARs with carry handle and high front sight just never quite fit me, and I was never a fan. I recently acquired a 16" AR, with flat top M-Lok type hand guard, full Picatinny rail, no carry handle or tall front sight, and virtually unlimited options as to iron and/or optical sights. No XM177, but finally an AR that actually fits me(y)
Just want to clarify- that wasn't a suppressor. That was a modulator. A massive flash suppressor, really. Op- there are a LOT of people out there building clones of those rifles out there! There is a black rifle based forum out there (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention other forums) with a relatively LONG thread on these guns, including where (and what) parts are needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why not just look for a complete "upper" receiver rather than spend the money on the complete, more expensive rifle? Unfortunately, because of this weird shortage of guns, gun parts, and ammunition, most dealers (like Brownells) that carry new XM177 uppers are out of stock. They're advertised price was about $735. That's the beauty of the AR15, you can switch out the upper receivers quickly and easily, and then switch back.

Oh, and back in the late 80's, early 90's I had a Colt AR15 with the XM177 flash hider permanently attached that I later sold to finance a better gun. The proceeds went to finance a brand new FNH LAR (semi-auto FN FAL).
"Better" is pretty subjective I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts