1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend found this 1927 SRC for me in Texas. Finally, a clean SRC, while maintaining all my appendage's!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sweet. Thats one helluva pistol grip on that thing. What does src stand for. I assume the "c" means carbine.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks JRJ, You're correct sir.
Saddle Ring Carbine

·
Administrator
13,259 Posts
I know what you mean . So many of these have had the sights changed or slings added , etc .

30-30 , 32 spl , 38-55 , 25-35 cal ? I'll assume 30-30 .

Thanks for sharing .

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooops,
Yes sir, you're correct, 30WCF. Hopefully, the next SRC will be one in 38/55, if I can afford it. 38/55 SRCs are rare bears :)

What irritates me, is the number of SRCs you'll find were the stud & ring have been removed, or the ring cut off.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Can you add the stud and ring to an existing pre-64 Win M94? If so, where can you get the parts? And if you don't mind, what did it cost?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thanks for the info. As you may know, I am a closet M94 fan myself. I have kind of been lusting after one with the ring for quite a while. I can't really explain why, I guess I've seen too many John Wayne films or something. I don't know squat about the market, but it sounds to me like you got a really good price, and your gun looks great. Congrats.

I don't really want to just screw the stud and ring onto an existing gun if I have to drill and tap (is that considered faking it)? I would assume that would de-value the gun. Also, assuming the 'fakes' are less desirable, how can one tell if a particular gun has been 'faked' versus the real deal? TIA for the help.

P.S. Just thought you'd like to know, during deer season tune-up my pre-64 was regularly turning in 3 shot 1.5 to 2.5 inch (actually measured with a ruler :D) groups at 100 yards with Winchester 170 gr Power Points. I would be happy as a clam if I could get my scoped Ruger Ranch rifle to shoot groups that good with the consistency this gun does.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes sir, I do remember you being a fan of the 94s, we've talked of them before.

I have kind of been lusting after one with the ring for quite a while. I can't really explain why, I guess I've seen too many John Wayne films or something.
That's a good enough explanation for me. I couldn't tell to you why I like 1894s & 94s instead of, say 1873 Winchesters or Marlins? It is, what it is. Maybe your familiar with the Harley riders tag line of, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." That's always worked for me. :D

I'm glad to hear you don't want to drill & tap the receiver on your '94, it would devalue it pronto. The saddle ring carbines were discontinued in 1927. A Winchester fan could tell just by looking (without even seeing the serial number) it's been messed with. The first thing you'd notice is the ramped front sight, also by the barrel marking's, the sight's, the tang markings (right behind the hammer, pre-64s won't have any, they were dropped during W.W.II, "the Flatband years," never to return), buttstocks etc. You might find this helpful;

1894s- Oct. 20, 1894 to approximately serial #950,000, late 1924 when Winchester removed the 1 & 8 from the stamping die, then they officially became the Model '94.

Pre-wars-1924 to 1942-43, approximately serial #950,000 to #1,350,000.

Flatbands-1943 to 1949, just after serial #1,317,450 to approximately #1,550,000

Pre-64s- 1949 to 1964, just after serial #1,550,000 to serial #2,600,011, reportedly the last pre-64 Model 94 made.

If you want a SRC and want to keep your 94 factory, I'd start looking for an original. I was tickeled at the price of this one, I've been looking for a clean SRC a long time and this one is at least $150 less than I've seen the rough SRCs go for.

That's some fine shooting!
I'm impressed, but not surprised. As you're well aware, the Model 94 is capable of some outstanding accuracy, regardless of what's printed in today's gun rags. FWIW, every one of my '94s prefer the heavy weight bullet's.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the info. I may start looking a bit more for an original. I have been having a lot of fun with my 30-30 as of late. Maybe it’s kind of a 'return to a simpler time' if you will.

My particular specimen really shoots great. It always knocks my socks off when I shoot it off the bench. I don't know if they all shoot this good, but I know the one I have is a real winner. I have already tagged out this deer season, so I may take the M94 out for some coyote action. It would definitely be a handicap compared to a scoped 6mm Remington but what the heck, if the Duke could do it so can I!

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind getting a few more. I need a real beater for a truck gun, an SRC, and a Wrangler large loop. Maybe I need to just go sit down and watch a western to get it all out of my system!

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K1500,

Sir, you are more than welcome.
Y'all can't tell I like talkin' about '94s can ya? It is a sickness, I'll tell you that right now. Once it gets into your system, you're doomed to a life of searching, "I only need one more," Ha!
I have one 1894 & seven '94s and I am nowhere near what could be termed a collector, more like an accumulator with Catholic tastes.
I'm still looking for that Holy Grail.

If you don't mind, what's the serial # or partial serial number of your Winny?

I don't mean to brag and this isn't that great, but this was shot with an 1894 rifle made in 1911, from 100yds (it was on a bench) with what most shooters would spit on as a "dark barrel," another myth we can go into at a later date. ;)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Nice shooting. I sent you a PM with the SN of my Winchester. I have actually been scouting around a bit for a beater, but I have a really hard time buying a worn out specimen for $175 or so when I can get a nicer one for a bit more. Of course, for even a bit more I could get another Pre 64, and for a bit more... Then you end up with a gun that is too nice to leave behind the seat of your truck and you have to start all over. :p If you can't tell, I kind of have a way of optioning up without intending to.

To tell you the truth I am really drawn to the older ones. I just like to look at them and wonder what the rifle went through before I had it. There is nothing like holding a living piece of history that can't (fully) tell its tale.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh no, sounds as though the Winny virus may already be coursing it way through you system. ;)

I thought much like you, that I'd pick up a decent older '94 and use it as a truck gun, couldn't get myself to do it though. So I grabbed up a cheap 1965 Model 94 and had the barrel whacked to 16.5", I replaced the birch wood stocks with some nice walnut that I had laying around off of a late model.

Received your PM & replied.
If it were wine, as they say, it's a very good year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts