1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently saving up for my very own Wilson Combat CQB, I've heard wonderful things about them, spoken with their folks on the phone, & have their parts in my current carry gun, a tuned up Ruger SR1911.
Hard part is, of course, the price tag. I'm one who'd rather buy once, cry once, meaning I'd rather pay for the best I can get (within reason) & not spend my way through all the world's 1911s. I want this gun to be my every day carry for years to come, not a safe queen or to sit in a safe. It needs to be able to take a lickin' & keep on tickin.
Maybe I'm just looking for assurance that Wilson is really worth the price, but what can I say, 3k+ is a lot for a gun.
Any words of wisdom, either for or against you could offer?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
I will reply with this. My first gun from Wilson, was after a lot of research - primarily with support after the fact. My first Wilson was a CQB full size in .45, and it has almost 10k rounds on it, and is still one of my sweetest-shooting Wilson guns. I had some "extras" added as options, so it cost me $4500, but it will NEVER be sold. Although bought as a heirloom gun, if it had been anything less than completely functional (and the attention to detail I was looking for in an "heirloom gun"), I would not be posting about its worthiness as a gun. I still shoot it, 8 years later and almost 10k round later, and it is still the one that I have that puts genuine smiles on peoples' faces more than any others I have. There are several here in the Wilson sub-forum that will attest to that. The Wilson CQB is a truly fine 1911 that, IMHO, is worth the price. Mine was ordered with a lot of added options that cost, like some gold inlay and Baron bluing, but those are cosmetic; the function has been like glass since it arrived. It is in God's caliber as well. Hope this helps some; remember that not all folks shoot enough or look close enough to appreciate the refinements, but for those that do, IMO it is worth it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Enjoy....

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
My first gun was a Wilson, still my most shot gun ever and I have used the hell out of it and it has never failed me. I have shot at least 4x the cost of the gun through it if not more

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have a 5” CQB in .45 and a 9mm CQB Commander, my Commander just hit 10,000 rounds and neither are safe queens. The CQB is a great gun. My first Wilson was a used Professional that I saved for and spent about a year figuring out the options that I wanted before finding a used one that was 95% what I had decided on and then bought it. It was to be my one and only Wilson, kind of one and done. Didn’t work for me and most my other guns sold to fund Wilsons.

Once I had a Wilson other guns just did not do it for me.

I think you will be very happy and satisfied with a CQB, just spec it out the way you want your dream gun to be.

ETA—No responses when I started to type mine. Guess none of us has anything to do on New Years Eve. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will reply with this. My first gun from Wilson, was after a lot of research - primarily with support after the fact. My first Wilson was a CQB full size in .45, and it has almost 10k rounds on it, and is still one of my sweetest-shooting Wilson guns. I had some "extras" added as options, so it cost me $4500, but it will NEVER be sold. Although bought as a heirloom gun, if it had been anything less than completely functional (and the attention to detail I was looking for in an "heirloom gun"), I would not be posting about its worthiness as a gun. I still shoot it, 8 years later and almost 10k round later, and it is still the one that I have that puts genuine smiles on peoples' faces more than any others I have. There are several here in the Wilson sub-forum that will attest to that. The Wilson CQB is a truly fine 1911 that, IMHO, is worth the price. Mine was ordered with a lot of added options that cost, like some gold inlay and Baron bluing, but those are cosmetic; the function has been like glass since it arrived. It is in God's caliber as well. Hope this helps some; remember that not all folks shoot enough or look close enough to appreciate the refinements, but for those that do, IMO it is worth it.
Really appreciate your response, I agree, not all can appreciate the fit, finish & quality that goes into higher end guns. But that quality difference is why my Ruger is tuned by a smith I trust, I assembled a rifle from all BCM parts, & I've been looking at Wilson. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My CQB has north of 35k rounds through it. It’s not a safe queen and is used in matches a couple times a month. It needed a new barrel at 21k rounds. Wilson paid for shipping and fit a new barrel, no questions asked. I’m terms of customer satisfaction, you can count on Wilson to keep you happy with your purchase. View attachment 601398
That is awesome! My hope has been that my pistol will take a high round count. If you don't mind me asking, what caliber is your CQB?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
9mm. It’s been a good purchase.
I'm glad to hear it. These responses have really help to cement what I've already been leaning towards. The folks at Wilson seem like a good group of people, who really have passion for their craft, & I'll put more stock in that than a regular production gun any day of the week.

·
Registered
14,381 Posts
Whenever one is short of funds, or close to being short, the matter of cost always rears its head. No way around it.

And this causes countless instances of people choosing something cheaper, all too often to their later regret.

Quality has a cost, and such is true with Wilson 1911s. For those who can afford it, the Wilson 1911 is absolutely worth it. I've come back for more, again and again. So I think that's the primary answer. Wilson 1911s are worth their cost.

The fit, the feel, the knowledge of how the parts are fabricated, the aesthetics, the confidence for SD purposes, the knowledge of world class customer service (if ever needed), are among the qualities that make Wilson 1911s worth their cost.

But if the cost is simply too much for one's present day financial circumstances, then things are problematical. Years ago, as a young person, I was in that circumstance...and have not forgotten it, despite having no such concerns nowadays.

There are less expensive (but not "cheap") 1911s that are also worth their cost. But there is also some degree of "less" in those guns, notwithstanding the fact that they could serve one well.

The above thoughts apply almost equally to another often-asked question...that being whether a Supergrade is worth its cost.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have you got to shoot some $2,000-$4,000 1911’s? Or, at least handle a wide array? I couldn’t find any, so I just had to start buying. Since then, I found a shop that carries a vast array of fine 1911’s. At least, there, I get to handle them. For no logical reason, Wilson just doesn’t do it, for me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any I’ve handled, but they don’t give me an “X factor” feeling, when I hold them. I did get that feeling the first time I held my (soon to be as I was there to buy it) SACS Pro and still get that “wow” every time I even hold it. Out of all the 1911’s I’ve got to handle, since starting this expensive journey, only a few have the “wow/x-factor”.

I share that to tell you that once you get to Wilson Combat level, it is more an emotional decision, to me. So many good firearms from a lot of manufacturers are options, when looking at the $3,000 price point. When emotion is not involved, it’s really hard to say any of them are “bad”.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Wilson, however, once you start spec'ing out the gun you could easily be close to $4K.

Trick I have used for 5 of mine was to buy them used and send them back for customization. Kept all of them under $3200 overall since you can get LNIB guns for 1900-2300

Reactions: Kidfixer and VF-1

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have one Wilson and it too is a CQB. It is a great gun but I do not shoot it much. I have been converted to the double stack 2011 guns from Staccato. I carry my guns as tools and my profession is law enforcement so they get used. A lot. I don't drink alcohol any more (too many years of being on call I guess) so I am armed all of the time. I think law enforcement officers should carry enough ammo in their guns to solve most of the reasonable problems they will encounter. Hench the double stack pistols and a spare magazine for me.

Now having said the above I am looking retirement in the face. My plan has always been to buy a Wilson Supergrade Pro in .45 and carry that for the rest of my life. I have saved the money and watch for what I consider the perfect Wilson Pro when scanning the lists on Gunbroker. I am not opposed to taking up where someone else left off if it is close to what I consider the perfect pistol. In retirement I will not feel under gunned with a single stack pistol hidden on me. I am large framed and lift lots of heavy weights up and down to stay in reasonable shape.

I am a very big proponent of freedom of choice. I take no issues with people about their choice of carry pistol. Some folks like expensive cars or watches. I like expensive guns.

Buy the Wilson. The fact you are asking about it makes me believe you will be happy with it. Spend some time considering your choice. It is not as important as picking out a wife but close!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Everyone here is correct and Wilson is great.

I’ll be the crazy one and throw out the curve ball......Hk45. If cost is a concern and you want a service gun..... this is a great option. It’s essentially a double stack 45. If you get lucky and find the extended mag, 13 rounds of 45.

I’ll patiently wait for someone to find a more value double stack 1911.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Up front, I'll admit to not owning or having owned a Wilson. So I'm not speaking from the stand point of experience. I've certainly considered the EDC X9 because I think I'd like the grip shape a lot better than my 1911 and 2011s. But the price and some of the proprietary parts keeps getting in the way of purchasing one.

When you get into the upper realm of expense on about any item, I think the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I've got two Dan Wessons I bought at approx. $1K each. Both are superb pistols, well made and very accurate. So that is my point of reference. When I consider a Wilson, the question becomes will I get 2-3 times the pistol for 2-3 times the price. So far, I've decided I'm fine with what I've got in my DWs.

I'm a watch guy too. I've got a nice Omega Seamaster that's worth about $1,400. It's my one and only watch and I love it for what it is. I could afford a Rolex, but I just can't fathom spending $6-8K for a (supposed) higher end watch that will do the exact same thing as my Omega.

I think a Wilson would be well built and fitted together with precision. You would most likely be thrilled to own and shoot it. But a lot of what you buy with higher end products is the name and cache of owning it. I suppose I'm way too practical to see the value of that. In the end, each person has to make that part of the decision for themselves.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.