1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For no particular reason, other than I'm sitting here with nothing pressing at the moment, I thought I'd relate a story that spans 25 years.

I bought my first pistol (a S&W 6" Model 27 that I wish I still had!) in 1972. Since then I've owned 40 or 50 handguns and probably as many long guns.

My first .45 ACP was a Colt Gold Cup in 1979. It went to a friend who is an armorer for a major police department for a few tweeks and served me well for several years shooting ISPC "back in the day". The gun ran flawlessly on anything I fed it.

I didn't buy another .45 until a year or two ago when I bought a 5" XD. It came out of the box and swallowed every load I put into it, never failing to fire, eject, feed, etc.

Several weeks ago I got the itch for an ultra-compact .45. On a whim I bought a 3" Stainless Para Warthog. It is arguably the perfect single-shot .45 ACP. I'm not sure if I ever once got it to cycle two rounds without me handling the gun. FTF, FTE - you name it. In 100 rounds I would say I had 75 or 80 problems. :grumble:

It went back to the dealer and back to Para in Tennessee where I've requested a full refund from Para corporate. It remains to be seen whether or not they refund my purchase price- but if the gun comes back it's going directly to auction, or to trade-in on another Kimber!

Last week, after shipping my Warthog off, I still had the ultra-carry .45 itch. I have a Glock 27 in .40, a stainless 642 Centennial and several other carry guns, but I STILL wanted that pocket .45.

So I went to a large Kimber-stocking dealer nearby and bought an Ultra CDP II. Half-reluctantly today I took it to the range- wondering if at least some of the problems with the Para were because of the lightweight and small size.

But of course the Kimber gobbled up 3 different hollow-points and 150 rounds of 230 hardball without a single hiccup- just like my XD and my Gold Cup of old. No FTE. No FTF. Just a reliable BANG every time I pulled the trigger.

SO... all that to say that until the Warthog I'd never owned anything but reliable guns- automatics in .22, .32, .380, 9mm, .40 and .45. And of course only reliable revolvers in .22, .22WRM, .38, .357 and .45LC.

The Kimber Ultra CDP II is now my CCW primary weapon and the stainless S&W 642 .38 is my ankle-holster backup gun. Kimber didn't do anything unusual- it just functioned flawlessly as I've come to expect over the years from Ruger, S&W, Colt, Beretta, Glock, Springfield, etc. No surprises is GOOD!

And as for the Warthog. :rolleyes:

Well... I wouldn't trust it in a spitting contest, let alone a gunfight! So my days as a Para owner are over- one way or the other.

How was THAT for a long, boring range-test report on my new Kimber?!?! :dope:

That's all,

Steve

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Interesting. I had much the same experience with both a Para and my Kimbers.

Kimbers - yes. Para - no, at least for me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Congrats!

and continued success with your Ultra CDP II. Here's mine, which is my primary carry gun, after a thorough shakedown and complete reliability so far.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My CDP II has been a great (and my personal favorite) carry gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts