1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Was re-arranging a few things in the gun room today and found these two wooden crates of 5.56 from back in the day when Paul Reed worked for Navy Arms. 1600 rounds delivered for $305.45. That's $.19/round! $3.82 per box of 20. And yes, they are unopened.

·
Super Moderator
13,654 Posts
Life is good.

A couple years ago I sold my only .308 caliber rifle along with what I thought my entire stash of ammo. Last year while looking through my ammo storage area, I came across around 160 rounds of German surplus ammo. I put it up for sale at a very reasonable price and they were gone in an hour. A month ago I came across another 200 rounds of Winchester .308 and I put them up for trade for 350 rounds of 9mm ammo (Winchester) and was traded the next day.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That’s like mining for Bitcoin - and making a ‘hit’!

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I don't know which is more interesting, the fact that you found two crates of 5.56 that went un-noticed, or that you have a gun room big enough for TWO whole crates of ammo to go un-noticed!!

I found an AR15 gas tube I had forgot about once in my gun room and thought that was a score. Lol

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I don't know which is more interesting, the fact that you found two crates of 5.56 that went un-noticed, or that you have a gun room big enough for TWO whole crates of ammo to go un-noticed!!
Clearing out a room used primarily for storage , preparing for some renovations , I found two wooden crates of Danish military 30-06 , on clips and in bandoleers I forgot about. Probably bought them 20yrs ago.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is that Malaysian?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Packing and cleaning up for my recent move from California to Oklahoma I came across find after find bullets primers magazines, loaded ammo, powders, knives just about everything but guns and crates of .223 ammo. I lived on a couple acres and had barn/trophy gun room that was pretty good size. I lived there for 25 years and as you can imagine a lot of things got accumulated and put in a box with more boxes gun cases etc. piled on top. You start going through 25 years worth of STUFF you come across a bunch of items you thought were gone forever. Your find is a great one! especially under the current circumstance.

·
Registered
24,913 Posts
I find stashes of .22 rimfire ammo from time to time that I had forgotten about. But most of my centerfire ammo I try to keep a good track of. Nice find though!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Was thinking the same! I wish I had a gun room big enough to lose even just a box of ammo! 🤣

·
Administrator
74,730 Posts
This sounds like the guys who find a gun in the safe that they forgot they had. I sure wish I had so many guns and so much ammo that I'd forget what I actually have. I've had dreams like that, but nothing close to reality.

·
Premium Member
16,006 Posts
So, who made the .223? As asked above, is it Malaysian? I forget what it was about the Malay ammo, good or bad.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ammo in the crates is Norinco; Chinese. It's not match grade but as we recall it shot pretty well. We don't recall anyone at the Fort Harmar Rifle Club ever having any complaints about it and a lot of it was sent down range there back in the day. Paul Reed would often stop in Marietta on his way to Knob Creek with a box truck loaded to the gills with ammo. He often had this stuff in the truck or you could order it from Navy Arms.

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
A friend of mine would buy bulk ammo, 5.56 and 7.62X39. Most of the 7.62X39 ammo was in huge "sardine cans". He had no idea how much he had. I actually think several cases helped support the basement steps! Or maybe they were used as the bottom four steps.

Grumpy

Reactions: Nitro.45

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It happens with tools for me. In past years, I often found some little tool gizmo I thought I might use someday, and would put it away in one of my tool chests. And years later, would pick up and buy the same gizmo, and when I went to put it in a tool chest, would find the previously bought one there, just waiting to maybe be used someday. NV

1 - 20 of 29 Posts