1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new XSE, I've only put about 1000 rds through it so far but as far as I can tell I got the perfect gun for me. There's just one thing that bugs me: The plastic back strap (correct term?) can I just buy a replacement and slip it in there or do I have to get one custom made and or custom installed? Also, what would the ball park be for getting the front strap checkered from a good smith? I think with those two additions it would be CHERRY!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes, you can purchase a new mainspring housing from many online stores and just drop in, not much fitting - if any - should be required at all.

A good checker job will probably cost you $350 or so...be sure to check the smiths work before he begins the work on your own gun. Many friends of mine have been dissapointed in the work they have had done on thier pistols.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Buy a new Mainspring Housing, but stay away from the cheap ones, you realy get what your pay for. As for checkering -- you could send it to Springfield Armory for a machine checkering that is quite impressive for abotu $160, if memory serves me right.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I just ordered a beavertail drop in safety and a checkered mainspring housing from Wilson Combat. I've already got a couple of their mags and love them!

I didn't know what part to get because I had the name wrong :p I figured it out quick enough by the pictures on the Wilson website.

Does anyone have a ballpark for how many rounds the mainspring will go for as well as the recoil spring?

·
Administrator
73,850 Posts
Mainsprings are nearly indestructible and will last about as long as the pistol itself, even when left cocked n' locked indefinitely. Recoil springs should be replaced every 2-3,000 rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts