1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small stock of legal ivory (brought into the US by me almost fifty years ago)
Is there anyone the forum can recommend who would still make some ivory grips for an antique S&W revolver?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
The gentleman who did the ivory grips on my S&W Model 29 in 1984 has passed on.

How I found him was by calling my area's S&W distributor. I have had good luck with Eagle Grips but that was for Stag grips. I am not sure if they will work with your ivory. Eagle Grips

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Reach out to Gene at Gunner Products in Florida. I have 2 sets of his Ivory 1911 grips. He also makes Colt and S&W revolver grips. His work is excellent.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A little bit off topic but it's kinda funny.
A guy that I'm helping just bought a Wilson 1911, he owns a custom cabinet shop so he likes fancy wood, he added $800 for a very nice set of grips, the wood is beautiful but it does not give a good grip on the gun, so he ends up wrapping rubber bands around them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A guy that I'm helping just bought a Wilson 1911, he owns a custom cabinet shop so he likes fancy wood, he added $800 for a very nice set of grips, the wood is beautiful but it does not give a good grip on the gun, so he ends up wrapping rubber bands around them.
GunNut,
I fully understand! All my 1911s are for carrying and have milled epoxy grips, and some have skateboard tape on the front strap. Only the old antique safe queens get anything fancy. I love the look of a polished blue 1911 with some ivory grips, but to me, carrying something like that everyday is like buying a new Corvette and parking it at WalMart!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reach out to Gene at Gunner Products in Florida. I have 2 sets of his Ivory 1911 grips. He also makes Colt and S&W revolver grips. His work is excellent.

Thanks, I will give Gene a call.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Paul Persinger out of El Paso is a master artist with Ivory.

Last I knew he did not have a website and did all his work through the phone and mail. you should be able to Google his name and get contact info and see pictures of his work. If I ever have ivory work again he will be the one I call.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A while back I sold some Chinese export silver that had ivory spacers to a dealer in London. What I learned is that you must have proof of when you got the ivory. If you have a reciept or bill of sale for an item dated before sales were baned thats one thing but most people that got ivory years ago pre ban dont have the proof so they cant sell the items. In my case I had to remove the Ivory spacers from the silver pieces and ship. If I included the ivory the dealer told me he would lose the shipment to customs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I‘m guilty of using homemade ghetto Pachmayr’s way back when. Don’t laugh, those rubber bands work great in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I LOVE a great piece of curly, birdseye or burl piece of wood. However, I'd never sacrifice the ability to grip a pistol just to have a beautiful set of grips on it. For a safe queen that would never get carried, that would be fine. I compromised and bought some Raasco grips for a couple of pistols that I think were Coca Bola with very definite dark streaks. They were checkered and I had the thumb cutout added near the mag release button.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A while back I sold some Chinese export silver that had ivory spacers to a dealer in London. What I learned is that you must have proof of when you got the ivory. If you have a reciept or bill of sale for an item dated before sales were baned thats one thing but most people that got ivory years ago pre ban dont have the proof so they cant sell the items. In my case I had to remove the Ivory spacers from the silver pieces and ship. If I included the ivory the dealer told me he would lose the shipment to customs.
That's the way it was. Now, out of state sales are prohibited. Thanks, Obama.

-- ML

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
Look for a custom knifemaker. They are very good about an exact fit. I found one in Mesa, AZ that happened to have a chunk of legal ivory large enough to make three sets for me. If you're in AZ check out Kopp knives or drop me a note.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.