1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a Novice when it comes to the .45 caliber realm. Here's my question so that I may better understand the rationale with the 1911 :

What are the differences between 1911 Purists whether they carry : Colt - Dan Wesson - Springfield - Kimber - Para - Les Baer - Wilson - etc. as opposed to those who carry the .45 in a Non 1911 fashion like the Sig P220 - GLOCK 30/37 - Ruger P95 - Beretta Cougar .45

I'd like to know why the 1911s' are preferred to non 1911 .45 caliber carry.

I apologize if this question is too basic. I'm trying to learn and understand the 1911. Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
my theory

Hiya Razor,my theory is that it is what the good 'ol USA used for its finest servicemen,so i think that just sticks too people that way, I guess you would say History,plus,it really is an awesome pistol.I only own 1,but rest assured,more will follow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an original WWII that was given to me by my uncle. I've fired quite a bit it needs some work. After the holidays I'll give it the proper TLC it needs.

Currently I hate to use the term but what the heck:biglaugh:
I'm "lusting" for the Dan Wesson Patriot Expert in Stainless. It seems that this gun has everything I could want short of a super custom model or one that you build yourself---- I'm not that experienced yet!;)

I was just curious why the majority prefer the 1911.

·
Registered
352 Posts
can't speak for anyone else, but this is why I prefer the 1911:

1) the SA trigger. No DAO or DA/SA trigger comes close to the consistency of the 1911's SA trigger. Everything else just feels soggy.

2) the single stack magazine. Some claim that a single stack setup is much more reliable than a double stack, but I honestly don't know. I find that its a lot easier to load the single stack mags of a 1911 than the duals of an HK or Sig (this was even when I hadn't had much experience with ANY pistols). Plus, the single stack allows for a narrower grip, which is great, since I have small hands. Even with the single stack, I go with slimline grips, because I had to rotate my grip to hit the mag release with the regular grips.

3) the historical connection. 1911's have been in service for over 90 years. WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. So many brave souls have trusted their lives to the design. Both my father and grandfather have carried 1911's during their service in China and Taiwan. It's sort of a connection thing; being able to touch and hold a piece of history.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The 1911 fits/feels good in most hands.
Natural "pointability".
Good, consistent trigger.
Historical significance.
One fine looking handgun.

Nero

·
Registered
386 Posts
For me, being convinced by reading Jeff Cooper way back in the 70's that the .45 was the perfect self-defense pistol round; a deep-seated admiration for the genius of JMB; finding the beauty of "old slab-sides" (considered an ugly gun for much of its history); its sweet trigger action; and the history of the gun.

I do want to try some of the new .45s, especially the 220 (Sport if I can afford it) and see if they are better.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Let me say it this way: the 1911 just grabs you, same way you end up gawking at a '57 Chevy. Great thing is, a 1911 isn't obsolete like the '57. After 90 years it'll hold it's own against the most modern, best thing out there.

For me, it's definitely the history, heritage and usability.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'ved tried about a half dozen different designs for carry and keep coming back to the 1911. For me it's because it fits my hand better than any other I've tried, it's a handgun preferred by many combat shooters, it conceals better than most guns I've owned and there is the history behind the 1911. Oh yeah, it's also very easy to work on and there's a ton of accessories and add-ons made for it.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Razor Ribbon said:
I was just curious why the majority prefer the 1911.
I think you'll find that the majority don't. Remember, you're on the 1911forums, which means everyone here owns, or wants to own, at least one 1911. If you go over to glocktalk.com, the tables are turned. You might find yourself over there wondering why the majority prefer the Glock.
I can tell you this, I sold guns for two years, and I sold more Glocks than anything else. I personally own and have owned all sorts of guns, so it wasn't my bias moving the Glocks.

I think the 1911 is popular in part due to nostalgia, in part due to it being a good design, and lately in part due to the fact that it's seen as the "tactical" handgun of choice (do a search for ICQB or MEU). I think the reason behind the spike in new 1911 variants, companies, and models is due to a couple of things.
One of which is the low cost of engineering & design & development. It's an established design, and it's been worked out quite a bit what the masses want in a 1911. There is very little for a company like Sig or S&W to have to engineer. Same thing for a company like Dan Wesson.
The other reason is that there's nothing new on the market, or on the horizon. I haven't seen anything interesting or revolutionary in the handgun market in maybe 5 years. The Beretta Cougar was interesting, but largely a failure, the KelTec P32 continues to be interesting, and the P3AT is as well, but it's just a caliber change.
Companies are looking for something new (even if it's just new to them) to get out on the market, and the low R&D costs of an established design is very attractive to their bottom line.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm another staunch advocate of not only the 1911 but Smith and Wesson revolvers, especially in the "K" or "L" frame. There's several good reasons, most of which are already listed in the previous posts. Both designs have roots 100 years old, simple reliable actions (when made of quality materials), ease of maintenance, natural pointing characteristics, and time proven cartridge chamberings.

As already stated, it's a testament to the designers of these great guns that they were conceived at the turn of the 20th century and are still selling well in the 21st. There's virtually no other designs still used for serious defense which are as old. Say what some may about more modern designs, it is still to be seen if they will prove their longevity and survive in full production by their original maufacturers for such a long period of near uninterrupted production.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why is the 1911 still so popular?

-Peerless trigger

The 1911's stirrup-type trigger is the single most elegant method ever devised to trip a sear. No other pistol has a comparable trigger: it has a minimal amount of travel, and a fast reset.

-Great ergonomics

The 1911 just fits the hand. The controls are easy to reach for most shooters, and the screw-on grip panels make customization of the grip very easy to suit individual preferences.

-Flat and easy to carry

The 1911 is flat, and very easy to carry inside the waistband as a result. In fact, the 1911 is much easier to carry and conceal than its size or weight would suggest. A 1911 in a good IWB holster just feels "right"...you won't know how easy this gun carries in that fashion until you've tried it.

-Single-stack magazines make for a thin grip and flat reloads

The grip is thin, and can be made even thinner with slimline grips. The magazines are flat, and easy to carry in spare magazine carriers. The difference in carry comfort between a double mag pouch of 1911 magazines and the same sized mag pouch of double-stack magazines is quite substantial. The flat single-stack magazines just don't get in the way nearly as much as the bulkier double-stackers.

-Major caliber

The 1911 is chambered in a fight-stopping caliber. If you're going to launch a bullet at your opponent, it won't hurt to launch the biggest, heaviest bullet you can shoot with accuracy. If you're not a fan of the .45, the 1911 is also available in 10mm Auto, .38 Super, .40S&W, 9mm Luger, and a handful of wildcat cartridges. No other pistol is capable of accomodating more calibers on the same frame.

-High accuracy

The 1911 is one of the most accurate designs out there. It's a very confidence-inspiring weapon: if you do your job, you know that you will hit what you are aiming at.

-Fastest to bring into action

Cocked-and-locked carry lets an experienced handgunner place shots on target quicker and more accurately than any other design. If you doubt this, check out which gun type dominates most practical shooting disciplines.

-Most customizable

Every gunsmith in the country knows how to work on a 1911. Its modular nature makes it the Chevy small block of handguns, and no other design can be modified to suit the individual shooter's needs like the 1911.

-History

Old Slabsides is a piece of American history. It has served our great-grandfathers in Belleau Wood, our grandfathers on Iwo Jima and Omaha Beach, our fathers at Chosin and Khe Sanh, and our generation in Panama, Kuwait, Iraq, and Somalia. That kind of battle record is unequalled by any other handgun. If it was good enough for Sergeant York, Chesty Puller, Audie Murphy, Jeff Cooper, and the D-boys in Mogadishu, then it's plenty good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Hi RR;
My comments relate mostly to the typical 1911A1 pistol in full size or Commander format.

The single most significant advantage to the 1911 is its trigger action: SA, crisp, light, and consistent, with a short reset, assuming a well tuned example, of course.
Of all these, consistency is IMNSHO the most important, but of course you have that with the Glock trigger action too, so the "crispness" and relatively short pull are further points specifically favoring the 1911.

Obviously there are a lot of shooters who don't place much value on those qualities, witness all the Sig SA/DA and H&K USP enthusiasts out there, but those of us who esteem the 1911 above other pistols think those features important.

Next, the gripframe of the 1911 is more suited to the human hand (mine, anyway) than many others with "blockier" configurations (eg, Glock, H&K USP), and the "flatness" of the 1911 makes it more comfortable to carry and more eaily carried concealed.

Contributing to the good grip configuration of the 1911 is its single stack magazine, which magazine format is well-recoginized to aid feeding reliability in pistols, as compared to staggered magazines.

"Faster readiness" or speed into action may be cited, since the 1911 carried "cocked & locked" (Condition One) is quicker to bring into play from the holster than perhaps any other sidearm, judging from first-shot time recordings. (Again, its excellent trigger contributes to this.) Obviously, talented folks with other sidearms may beat slower folks with 1911s, but on average, taking all comers, the 1911 is better than the rest at the draw-to-accurate-first shot speed contest.

While one might mention "pointability" and balance, those qualities aren't unique to the 1911, though their presence in the 1911 is of course advantageous.

Those are the "tactical" advantages.

The aesthetic advantages are in the eye of the beholder, but may be considered to include:

attractive design (nicknames like "Old Ugly" or "Old Slabsides" notwithstanding, most here recognize the beauty of the 1911),

almost limitless easy "customizability", with ready availability of a tremendous variety of aftermarket parts and choices of options among them, including the ability to truly suit the pistol to your particular hands, eyes and shooting style (try sculpting a USP, Glock or Sig and you'll find your limits to be pretty narrow, while with the 1911 you truly can "have it your way"),

the historic value of the 1911 (at least to American citizen-owners),

the innate appeal of the engineering (design AND execution, that is) John Moses Browning put into the pistol. I appreciate the simplicity plus reliability plus durability plus ease of use plus accuracy that are all inherent in the 1911 design, and I actually like disassembling and reassembling the pistol just for the sake of enjoying the design features and recognizing the clever interrelatedness of the parts.

Those are some of the things that make me like the 1911.

Best.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Everyone has covered the practical advantages of the 1911. I'll add a not-so-practical advantage: every other handgun in the work is ugly compared to the 1911. The 1911 is Britney Spears, the Glock is Rosie O'Donnell--- you get the idea. :cool:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I didn't know Britney was going on 92 years old; she sure is well preserved.

I agree that the 1911 love is based mostly on nostalgia and history. There is no question that it is (or was) a fine gun, but the later technology is often better. It had a super reputation for durability and reliability based on decades as the service pistol. Today, makers trade on that reputation, but do not produce guns of the quality of those that made it.

One of the problems with nostalgia is that makers of the gun tend to think of it as being a toy, with no one really depending on it to stay alive. But they know they will sell all they can make, so they cheat on quality, metallurgy, and manufacture in general, and we see the complaints on sites like this every day.

Jim

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Jim Keenan said:
I didn't know Britney was going on 92 years old; she sure is well preserved.Jim
Yeah, those boobies will never rot.

I agree that a large part of it is looks. 1911 is the sweetest looking pistol ever made. M9 is second, IMO.

Glocks only look good with the homeboy nite sites on the side of the slide.

·
Registered
893 Posts
With all due respect, IMHO, to me the 1911 is more of an Audrey Hepburn type, than the aforementioned Miss Spears. I think in 100 years Hepburn will still be considered a timeless beauty. Not sure about Miss Spears.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I view the 1911 as a Halle Berry. Timeless, classic, yet a little uninhibited.

It is the best looking pistol, but I have to say the SIG 220 is a close second.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with all of you when trying to personify the 1911 and your reasons for doing so; it is the best looking semi-auto. However, I happen to agree with Archer the most.

·
Registered
513 Posts
With respect to the 1911, you either get it or you don't. If someone has to explain it to you, you probably will not understand it anyway. It's just like the mystique of a Harley, some people understand the attraction instantly and others never will no matter how much you try to explain. My wife is one of those who will never understand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts