1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes, especially in close quarters when clearing houses.
I always thought that the lack of a cleaning kit in the buttstock (a la the M14) was much more problematic than the barrel length. But then there isn't much cover to be had in a hooch.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Was a pain at times when in a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Vehicles. That is where the 20 inch one became a PITA. When you are constantly getting in and out of a HUMVEE, the full length rifle would clang on everything. Not to mention the sling options back then were terrible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definitely in vehicles. I did, however, discover that with the proper motivation, it is entirely possible for a 6'2", 220lb man wearing full body armor (front, back and side plates), a chest rig with six mags and other various accoutrements, an M9 in a thigh rig and a camelbak and carrying an M16A2 to exit the opposite side of an up-armored HMMWV in a flat horizontal drive from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
NO, especially the original M16...light as a feather and quick on target. The M16A2 however, gained weight and length.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Definitely in vehicles. I did, however, discover that with the proper motivation, it is entirely possible for a 6'2", 220lb man wearing full body armor (front, back and side plates), a chest rig with six mags and other various accoutrements, an M9 in a thigh rig and a camelbak and carrying an M16A2 to exit the opposite side of an up-armored HMMWV in a flat horizontal drive from the driver's seat.
I don't know how you do it, I'm only 5'9ish and I have a hard time getting out of 1165s, especially the back seats. Definitely not the most spacious accommodations, despite their exterior size.

·
Registered
704 Posts
No. But I was always a pig gunner, so a 20", 7lb rifle would have been a blessing. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts