1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that my Kimber Pro Elite and Wilson CQB Compact are not allowed in the Single Stack match. According to their rules of competition, the coned barrels on these guns make them illegal for use.

I'm kind of new to the competition side and was wondering "Why"? It seems kind of silly that these guns are not permitted, yet my Wilson Protector is.

·
Super Moderator
7,741 Posts
If you are referring to the Single Stack Classic in Barry IL, you are correct in assuming that your guns are not allowed. No bull barrels of any type are allowed. Why you ask? Its just one of those rules things. The guy who wrote them, won’t change them. That’s fine. It’s his match. Bull barrels would be nice, but so would extended dustcovers, Tungsten sleeved barrels and 10 round mags. I think Richard and Russell didn’t want the match to become an equipment race. Just bring out your single stack and shoot. Great match. See you there?

Tom Freeman
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would love to come shoot my single stack, but it too is BANNED by the bushing lovers. I guess you can write the rules any way you want when it's your match.

No hard feelings, just a shame.

Too bad too, it would have been neat to see and it's not too far of a drive from Michigan.

I am new to single stacks, complete rookie actually. I was very disappointed when I found out I was not welcome at SSC.

I would like to know what advantage a bull barrel gives me in a 4" lightweight aluminum frame carry gun, for my information of course.

I guess the bushing is why I am so mediocre at shooting my Para P16. At least I can blame my misses on not having a bull barrel now as well.

I am sure the weight of the bull barrel would help in an intentionaly heavy steel frame gun but that cannot be true of the light weight commander style single stack. The PRO CDP is only 28ozs, less than typical bushing equipped 5" gun.

Kinda bummed out by all of this, wish there was an appeal.

I don't want to come in from the outside and complain about someone elses rules here, just would like some reflection on what is actually being banned. A feature that will not cause me to shoot any better in a fly-weight 45 that is dedicated to carry, not trophies.

Gentlemen, keep your rules the way they are. If they suit you and make your match the way you want it, more power to you. I'll just keep my match fees and go shooting at my local club.

peace........

Kimber PRO CDP -BANNED- from Single Stack Classic

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gravity (edited 03-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I guess you have to meet the criteria set forth by what the name implies, "Single Stack Classic". Could be that the classic 1911 single stack had a bushing. Like Tom said, the intent is to prevent an equipment race.

Every sport has rules and I guess we just have to abide by them. For instance, IDPA won't let me shoot my SA V-10 Ultra-Compact because it is ported, so I shoot a full size Les Baer. Like IDPA told me, they need to draw the line somewhere. Same is true of the Single Stack Classic.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Talk about goofy rules, what does everyone think about the new USPSA revolver class rule limiting revolvers to the six rounds ?

I would have liked to shoot my eight shot revolver at the eight round target groupings but don't have much interest in shooting eight shot arrays with a six round capacity gun.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah, and in IDPA the guys shooting enhanced and stock can load ten plus one and us CDP guys can only load eight plus one. I feel dumb taking two rounds out of my Shooting Star mags. Lemme guess, it's because the old 1911's didn't hold 10 plus one so IDPA wants to lower cost and level the playing field. Could it be that IPSC is doing the same by going to six shooters? Oh my, IDPA and IPSC sharing a philosophy. What's next, lions sleeping with sheep?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received an email from Mr. Heinie regarding this topic. It reads as follows:

"Any of the "Compact" Pistols produced with Factory Bull Barrels, i.e. Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Wilson, or any others, are legal for the "SSC". However Putting a Bull Barrel in a Commander is "Not Legal".
This ruling was made before last years match, and does not show in older
printed material. There is very little interest for shooters to do this, as
they think they are at a disadvantage, so they usually use a Gov't Model. However if you would like to shoot a Compact, we would love to have you. I think you will enjoy the Match.

Richard"

Thanks everyone for your input and emails. I hope I get to meet some of you at the match.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well now, this is a major turn of events. We go from "you are not welcome with your bull barrels" to "you were welcome all along, even last year, you just had to ask the the right fellow"

Excellent news here. Problem is how many others will stay away because of confusion. Last month I sent an email to the info address at the Single Stack Classic site {[email protected]} asking about this exact subject and my PRO CDP. "NOT ALLOWED"

I guess it's clear that whoever answered my post and informed our fellow repliers was not Mr. Heinie.

Maybe the http://www.1911society.org/ should be updated with this information. Right now it says this on the entry form page;

"Pistols: 1911 Single Stack Production Pistols only. No compensators, bull or ported barrels, or optics. Factory lenth (sic) magazines only."

postban out

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
JLShooter, after all this you better go!

I'd like to be there, Kimber Pro Carry in hand (or holster), just too many mile$.

IDPA also has the same rule about bull barrelled pistols, legal only if factory. I think they had to change this rule when Kimber sold so many factory bull barrels. I suspect very few existed, if any, before that.

·
Super Moderator
7,741 Posts
The email "gunman" is a guy named Russell Cluver. He is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet. I have been squadded with him at nationals and found him a wealth of knowledge and humor.

I highly encourage you to go to the SSC if you can. It’s more than worth the price of admission.

Tom Freeman
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Originally posted by TVD:
Can I shoot my P-14 with 7 rds?????????
No, but you weren't coming from Seattle were you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts