1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across this archival video on YouTube and thought some of you might be interested. In late 1944 a TBF Avenger came back to the carrier USS Essex after a mission, having taken a 40mm flak shell hit which shredded the rear turret and its gunner, Aviation Machinist Mate 2nd Class Loyce Edward Deen. The aircraft was deemed unsalvageable, and Deen's remains were so badly entangled in the wreck that it was decided to bury him at sea while still at his station inside his aircraft. It's a pretty surreal example of how World War Two wasn't all about John Wayne and Errol Flynn's heroic flag-waving escapades, and how our freedom has been paid for in blood over the years. Maybe it's something these cancel-culture idiots might want to consider.

Be forewarned that it may be disturbing content to some...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just came across this archival video on YouTube and thought some of you might be interested. In early 1945 a TBF Avenger came back to the carrier USS Essex after a mission, having taken a 40mm flak shell hit which shredded the rear turret and its gunner, Aviation Machinist Mate 2nd Class Loyce Edward Deen. The aircraft was deemed unsalvageable, and Deen's remains were so badly entangled in the wreck that it was decided to bury him at sea while still at his station inside his aircraft. It's a pretty surreal example of how World War Two wasn't all about John Wayne and Errol Flynn's heroic flag-waving escapades, and how our freedom has been paid for in blood over the years. Maybe it's something these cancel-culture idiots might want to consider.

Be forewarned that it may be disturbing content to some...

I have read the accounts of wounded B-17s flying back with the hydraulic systems shot to pieces. They could not lower the landing gear, and could not rotate the ball turret to get the gunner out. They had to land on the belly of the plane. If knowing that, or watching a fully crewed B-17 fall out of the sky and no parachutes open, when you are silently begging them to on now 80 year old film, doesn't break your heart every time I don't understand you. It was a hard, horrible thing these men did, and the price these men paid to save the free world. When one of these soft skinned office dwellers (I'm a desk riding office dweller) says that covering Trump was their Omaha Beach, I want to beat them to the floor and drag them to one of the handful of vets from that fight still living and demand they apologize. I have too much respect for the people that have paid that price to let it slide, really hard to let it slide.

Sorry, there may be a little burbon involved letting my red neck show.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ironically, I just happened to watch that video not long before you posted it. It is very sobering.

I've been reading books about the Battle of Midway lately. I've always been interested in that battle, but just recently took the time to buy a few books and read the real-world accounts of the battle. There was a horrifically similar account in A Dawn Like Thunder where one of the Avengers (the other five were shot down) from Torpedo 8 turret gunner took a 20mm shell to the chest, and there was practically nothing left of the poor kid. The plane's controls were all shot up, and just before it hit the water, the pilot instinctively started adjusting the trip tabs and managed to get it leveled out. He flew something like 200 miles back to Midway with just trim controls and "guestimating" his bearings since his instruments were all shot out. It is utterly amazing what these young men, and kids, were able to do in the face of adversity.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Is anyone getting sound on this video, or is it a silent movie...because I cant hear squat?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I believe it's a silent one... but I have seen a narrated version of the same, in the past with sound.

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ironically, I just happened to watch that video not long before you posted it. It is very sobering.

I've been reading books about the Battle of Midway lately. I've always been interested in that battle, but just recently took the time to buy a few books and read the real-world accounts of the battle. There was a horrifically similar account in A Dawn Like Thunder where one of the Avengers (the other five were shot down) from Torpedo 8 turret gunner took a 20mm shell to the chest, and there was practically nothing left of the poor kid. The plane's controls were all shot up, and just before it hit the water, the pilot instinctively started adjusting the trip tabs and managed to get it leveled out. He flew something like 200 miles back to Midway with just trim controls and "guestimating" his bearings since his instruments were all shot out. It is utterly amazing what these young men, and kids, were able to do in the face of adversity.
Yes, in an eerie coincidence they had to do the same with that Avenger after it landed on Midway... grab a sheet and cover what was left of the tail gunner. Once I watched a program on Midway, and the radio operator on that plane was interviewed. At the time of the battle he was operating the .30 cal machine gun those aircraft had under the belly, and as he was shooting at the Japanese he said suddenly a bunch of warm blood rained down on him. He thought it was his at first, until he looked up at what was left of the tail gunner immediately above him and freaked out.

Reactions: Shorikid

·
Registered
23,820 Posts
Check out Lucky 666 by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin.
"The heart of everything that is."

These guys somehow managed to hang 17 fifty caliber guns out of a B-17 at some point. That some of them actually made it back surely indicates divine intervention.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Very difficult to watch. Good, however, to see a couple hundred crew members at the burial ceremony, treating it with due respect and reverance.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: GeorgeandSugar

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Had not seen this. Thank you for posting it. A reminder of what was provided for us through bravery & sacrifice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When one of these soft skinned office dwellers (I'm a desk riding office dweller) says that covering Trump was their Omaha Beach, I want to beat them to the floor and drag them to one of the handful of vets from that fight still living and demand they apologize. I have too much respect for the people that have paid that price to let it slide, really hard to let it slide.
I have a similar reaction every time someone refers to athletes as warriors.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
That video was hard to watch, more so, in consideration of in which direction this country is currently headed.
It's heart breaking to think about things like this and all the other sacrifices made by those who came before us just to wind up where we are now. How easily we forget the lessons of history and the wisdom of the men who put this country together. Just makes you sick how half our country now exists only to take what they can get while offering nothing in return. Hard to believe it happened so quickly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll give a pass to those who were prior service or still active, Tim Kennedy for example.

I agree, but Tim Kennedy et al are warriors (and very athletic warriors at that) specifically because they've trained for war. Someone who appropriates that title without doing the same is beneath contempt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cancel Culture is a copy of what our brave men and women have fought against in many wars.
They are fighting us with propaganda like the Planned Parenthood add that popped up as I was typing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, in an eerie coincidence they had to do the same with that Avenger after it landed on Midway... grab a sheet and cover what was left of the tail gunner. Once I watched a program on Midway, and the radio operator on that plane was interviewed. At the time of the battle he was operating the .30 cal machine gun those aircraft had under the belly, and as he was shooting at the Japanese he said suddenly a bunch of warm blood rained down on him. He thought it was his at first, until he looked up at what was left of the tail gunner immediately above him and freaked out.
That written account was in the book I read. If I remember correctly, the turret gunner was 18, and the radio operator was 16 or just turned 17, as he lied to about his age to join the Navy. Interestingly, Grumman wanted the plane shipped back to the states so they could investigate how a plane so shot up was able to still fly. Shortly after it got there, some depot officer simply ordered the plane to be scrapped. It was the first Avenger off of the assembly line.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts