1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forum seemed a little slow over the past couple of days, and I rarely post in this folder, so I thought I'd share an experience from a couple of weeks ago. One Monday morning, I woke up with the dreaded "crud"......upper respiratory infection.......so I called in sick. My head was all stuffed up, and I just bascially felt bad all over.....most of you have probably experienced similar things. Because I called in sick, I let my 16 yr old drive to school by herself (previously, I'd been having her drive me, then going on to work afterward), so with my wife at work, there weren't any vehicles in my driveway. During the late morning, sometime around 9:30 am, I was still in bed, trying to get some more rest. Something woke me up. I sort of sat up, listened a bit, and thought I'd heard some kind of disturbance outside my bedroom window. I didn't think much of it and rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. But I heard it again, and it sounded like someone/thing was trying to break the window. I thought this to be rather odd for a Monday morning (didn't realize what time it was at that point), so I got up, grabbed my Daly ECS from my night stand. I knew that both kids and my wife had already left the house several hours before, but I checked all the bedrooms and common rooms anyway. The dogs were in their kennel in the living room (should have had a clue......they weren't barking.......but I was sick.....and out of my mind apparently). After looking around the house.....I found nothing out of the ordinary. I even checked outside and saw nothing strange. I went back to bed. Then the noise started up again right outside my bedroom window. Finally, I was awake enough to have cleared the fog.......and.......creeping up on the bedroom window and whipping the blinds open.......remembered.......that my wife had bought and installed a window mounted bird feeder the previous Saturday, and the birds migrating south were stopping by for a treat.........sheesh.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Dear 10EC, I'll bet the sight of you with that pistol made the bluejays think twice about bullying the other birds. :)

I had a similar experience once when fishing under a bridge below Davis Dam in Bullhead City, Arizona. The river bank was made up of large rocks with plenty of crannies for snakes and other creatures to hide in. Never having heard a rattlesnake before I froze when I heard a rattling sound. I remained motionless for nearly five minutes, scanning the rocks for the snake. Finally another tanker truck crossed the bridge with it's grounding chain rattling along beneath it. I still haven't heard a real rattlesnake. Stay safe, Gary

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
10EC, I'm not one to preach about any cartridge as a one-shot stopper, but I am pretty certain that a .45 round to centre of mass on a sparrow will not require a follow up shot.

Glad all turned out OK!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shane, Gary.......lol. The only other humorous story, pre-gun for me.........several years ago, I left my pager on vibrate on the coffee table in the living room. It was a weekend, and in the middle of the night, i heard a nasty growling sound............I grabbed my baseball bat, snuck into the living room with the lights off, and didn't seem to see anything amiss. After a couple of minutes, I heard it again. I flipped the lights on and found nothing. Shortly afterward, I heard it again. I discovered my pager on the coffe table underneath some homework from my kids.........lol.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
YES!!! Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Except that it sounded like some loud, wierd electrical short somewhere in the house! I thought there was a crazy MIG welder on the loose somewhere in the house, but of course the sound didn't last long enough for me to track it/him down. And it only vibrated about every 5 minutes. Only took me about 45 minutes to narrow the sound down to one room, and discover what you already know!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I got one for ya. I am an electrician by trade, and do a lot of "service" work, usually in tenant spaces filled with people. I got the bright idea to put my pager on vibrate so as to not annoy my customers. That worked fine, until one day, I was in a box with hot wires, and my pager went off....

Steve

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sorry, but another pager story. Buddy of mine was an undercover vice detective. He had the enviable job of trying to bust table dancers for being a little too aggressive while performing their lap dances. During one particularly "close" encounter, his pager--hidden in a front pocket (it says COP all over it) and set to "VIBRATE"--went off, sending the dancer into a low orbit.

·
Registered
697 Posts
A friend got a vibrating pager when they were first marketed. He was showing his secretary how it worked , placing it on his desk and then calling it. After a moment, she looked at him, deadpan, and asked, "Bill, would you mind if I borrowed that sometime?"

·
Registered
498 Posts
Right after moving into my new house I woke up around 2:00am to the sound of 'crunching' coming from the kitchen area. Odd things go through your mind at that time of the morning and I was having a heck of a time figuring out just why some burglar would break in and then have a snack...Finally failing to come to a good answer I decided to investigate. So, with a trusty old mod 27 smith with Glasers in hand I worked my way to the kitchen, fliped on the light...and saw a rather startled mouse with part of a cracker still in his mouth...The really good part is that for just a moment I was so annoyed at being woken up and frightened, I considered popping him. Fortunately, better judgement prevailed and I forgo having to explain to the cops and neighbors just why I had a big hole in my house.

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
Originally posted by fremont:
Sorry, but another pager story. Buddy of mine was an undercover vice detective. He had the enviable job of trying to bust table dancers for being a little too aggressive while performing their lap dances. During one particularly "close" encounter, his pager--hidden in a front pocket (it says COP all over it) and set to "VIBRATE"--went off, sending the dancer into a low orbit.
Hey fremont,
Where is this club, I need to check it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This one is more amusing to remember than it was to live through.

One night some years ago, my wife and I had gone to bed and I was right on the edge of being asleep when I heard something that sounded *exactly* like a knife cutting through a windowscreen. Talk about something to bring you all the way awake in a hurry!

Anyway, I broke out the Kimber and checked it out. I did it slow and careful and I knew that the two of us humans and the cat were the only ones in the house. To make it short -- nada.

Windows and doors were all the way they should be. The only thing out of place was a poster my son had masking taped to the wall of the short hallway that leads to what had been his room before he went off to college. The poster was now on the floor.

I put it back and peeled it off, and got the sound I'd heard -- it was the sound of masking tape peeling off the wall.

Went back to bed -- as soon as my heart rate got back to normal -- and never had a repeat.

Silly? Maybe. But it scared the hell out of me at the time.

------------------
Gene Charleton

·
Registered
817 Posts
Want to have some fun with the pagers? We sometimes tape them under an unsuspecting coworkers desk and call it all day laughing our asses off watching them try to figure out why there desk is shaking. You have to tape it loosely to it so it can shake some. Whne me previous supervisor let this job, he taped his pager to MY desk and called it a week later to get "the last joke in". We were always trying to out do each other in the pranks. But yes, the pager on vibrate going off in the middle of the night has gotten me before to. But only once!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts